The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 AM

Default Is a banjo less vulnerable than a guitar in the heat

I am traveling to some craft show where I will play some as well. Worry about my good guitars in the heat and traveling. My 6 string banjo would be more "period" for the shows I am going to. It seems a banjo would be less at risk from heat etc cause just a thick tone ring and bolted on neck? Am I thinking right? I have carbon guitars as well which obviously would be the best choice but these are period show where CF may not seem right?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM

I feel the same way about Metal Nationals. Necks are rarely the problem when short term heat and humidity jack up a guitar. On a set neck that junction can be a problem, but the neck itself not so much. With the banjo and a metal national the odds of nothing happening (including meeting cute girls ) seem much better. Just don't leave it in the trunk...
Old 06-24-2015, 04:52 PM

I think your intuition is correct - on a banjo there are fewer glue joints to suffer from the heat, no thin pieces of wood like the top and back of a guitar.

whm
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Talking

It is certainly less susceptible to being in tune

My favorite Banjo joke: What's the difference between a Banjo and an Uzi?
An Uzi only repeats forty times.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Unlike guitars that are large flat pieces of thin wood glued together, banjos are lots of pieces that are bolted together with lots of junctions that are not permanently fixed to each other. They are pretty flexible even when assembled properly compared to a guitar and they generally have lots of metal bits included in them. But the main wooden parts are the pot and the neck which are not that thin and are generally pretty stable regarding temperature changes.
But what is vulnerable to temperature and even more so, humidity, is the head. If you have a "gitjo" (guitar banjo), it likely has a synthetic head which is much less susceptible to humidity than a calf or goatskin, but it is still a pretty thin membrane like component so it will be affected by extremes in temperature.
But even so, just carry your banjo wrench that fits the lug nuts and adjust as required. It is easy and you will only have to do it rarely if at all with a synthetic head. Now, with a real hide head and rapid changes in humidity, that is another matter.....but is still doable. When you are not playing though, don't park your banjo or any instrument in the hot sun.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:02 PM

I think it depends on the thermostat of the incinerator.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:13 AM

yes and no
if a skin head is used, it is effected. With me, the nylon strings are in need of tuning more than normal.
I don't think the neck or pot are effected...in the heat, i'm less tolerant of the stupid banjo jokes.
LoPrinzi model A baritone uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany nui (big baritone) uke
Kerry Bannister mahogany baritone uke
Harmony baritone uke
Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM

I have left mine in the car in the heat and it suffered no harm (synthetic head), just watch out for the metal pieces on the banjo when you get it out of the hot car--they will be very hot and could burn you!

Last edited by Dulcilo; 06-29-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:26 AM

Hopefully not.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments