The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2017, 02:46 PM

Default Recommendations for outboard guitar preamp/blender

Interested to discover an excellent preamp that also functions as a blender of two signals from inside an acoustic. Does anyone remember the fishman pocket blender? It was a blending preamp. What is the modern version of this? I have different acoustics with active systems (Baggs anthem, fishman rare earth) passive pickup but also one guitar which utilized the old blender with a thin line Martin transducer and crown mic.

Is there's unit I can buy that will give me good functionality across all my pickup systems? With eq/tone controls that will benefit an active system?

Have read a little on Headway EDb2, Zoom 3, and K&K preamps. But am technically hopeless. Guidance gratefully received.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:38 PM

I like the Headway which though not unique is good value I think. Some prefer units that have full eq on each channel but the eq of the blended signal works OK for me. Perhaps better with an external mic rather than internal.

Why not a Fishman Rare Earth blend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM

Thanks Andy. So the headway will blend the crown mic and the thinline according to taste, 50:50, 70:30 etc?

I have the fishman rare earth blend on one guitar. Indeed I'm puzzled about what would happen if you sent the signal from an active preamp blended system like that through another preamp. Presumably you would still benefit from the eq. Is that right?
Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 PM

Hurry right. Own and grab the Raven Labs PMB 1 that is for sale on this forum classifieds. It is a great unit. I used to own one and they are no longer made.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 AM

Is it better than a dtar solstice? Am in UK too.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 AM

Hi,

you look for a mixer and EQ. Donīt be afraid not to use something that does not scream "acustic guitar" to you on top.

Mix your signals together

https://www.thomann.de/de/boss_ls2_l...=search_prv_13

and then EQ the mix

https://www.thomann.de/de/boss_ge7_e...f=search_prv_7

You can get all of this stuff used really cheap.

I know that especially the GE7 does not get too much love here. But we are not talking about recordings, we are talking about live situation, hectic, weird places and of course pickups and mics. All that stands between us and a great sound - accept it and make the best out of it.

cu

erniecaster
Old 05-24-2017, 05:55 AM

Thankyou. Wouldn't I still need a preamp to boost the signals?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification