The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2017, 04:39 AM

Default a little tone help

I have a Takamine eg334rc, bought it new back in the 90's. I put a bone nut and bridge on it, lowered the action, good player.I don't play lead, just runs into chords here and there, I play rhythm and sing.
Now that i'm older, I don't play out anymore, just do jams & ect.
We do a jam, and it's steel, elec, bass, and lead guitar.
I run my acoustic straight into a loudbox mini, love that amp.
While I like my Tak, I sometimes feel like it could use a little help.
I was thinking about a TC Bodyrez, or a Behringer v tone adi121, for a little extra tone.
I know there are more expensive options out there, but this is about as high as I want to go.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 AM

What is it not doing that you want it to be doing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 AM

I just wanted to make it a little "fuller" sounding.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:37 AM

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but what do you mean by "fuller"? Brighter highs and lower lows? Is the guitar too mid-range-y? Tinny? Is this an EQ issue? Or a piezo quack issue? Or is it a 200hz honk?

Does the guitar sound consistently troublesome to you through other amps/systems? Does it sound troublesome when other people play it?

Have you considered swapping out the pickup for something more modern?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:19 PM

i like the sound of the Bodyrez on some of the demos i've seen, thats what i mean, when you kick it on it makes the guitar fuller sounding.
Also when I do runs into chords, the runs seem to not stand out. Maybe I need more midrange? i've played with the controls alot.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:24 PM

It might be more than you want to pay but the Baggs Session DI has improved the tone on all 3 of my pickups 2 of which are UST.

The compression smooths out the peaks and the quack and the saturate fattens up in the tone. It's subtle but effective.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Old 05-01-2017, 12:30 PM

I'm not sure what pickup is in that old Tak, but I'd start with that before I spent any money on a bunch of pedals (which is a rabbit hole you may never come back from).

You could swap out the stock pickup for a K&K or a JJB or B-Band or an Anthem and probably get DRAMATICALLY better results than chasing a magic pedal.

I run JJBs in everything I play. My partner runs an Anthem that sounds great. I had a copycat B-Band that I loved but got rid of.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:24 PM

Maybe this is a different direction than you want to go, but I've found that a little delay goes a long way to get a fuller sound out of a single guitar strumming out chords. I have a Mooer Baby Water chorus Echo pedal that I use on Echo mode with the time dial at 9:30 and the feedback dial under 9:00. It fills out the sound nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification