The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Percussion pedal

Just wondering if anyone uses a percussion pedal or has used one for playing out solo or duo with another guitarist. Interesting concept just wondering if it's worth investing in
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Yes.....I have used a stomp box. It adds a lot, my problem was I stand up when I play, so I was standing with most of my weight on one leg to use the stomp with the other.
Ok for a couple songs but my heel would kill for days after if I pushed it too hard.

So I bought a beatbuddy drum machine pedal.
I would have to say it's one of the best investments I've made in a long time. I have it set up with Onsong on my iPad and it automatically switches songs when I do. Sounds really good. Easy to program...I mostly use a cajon kit to go with acoustic stuff.
Best drummer I've ever had!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Yes.....I have used a stomp box. It adds a lot, my problem was I stand up when I play, so I was standing with most of my weight on one leg to use the stomp with the other.
Ok for a couple songs but my heel would kill for days after if I pushed it too hard.

So I bought a beatbuddy drum machine pedal.
I would have to say it's one of the best investments I've made in a long time. I have it set up with Onsong on my iPad and it automatically switches songs when I do. Sounds really good. Easy to program...I mostly use a cajon kit to go with acoustic stuff.
Best drummer I've ever had!

I am in a similar situation, if may ask
Did you get the full Beat buddy or it's stripped down smaller version and do you need some sort of interface to make it talk to OnSong on your iPad or is it just a cable?
Cheers Steve
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 AM

Our lead guitarist at church used one only a couple of weeks back when we were short a drummer. It worked brilliantly! If you need one, and can play like Ian Anderson then it may be worth investing in.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

LOL i am not as fabulous as Ian Anderson. the other thing that intrigued me was the digitech trio anyone have any experience with it. my only problem is most drum simulators sound so cheesy and robotic.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
my only problem is most drum simulators sound so cheesy and robotic.
That has been my impression as well, but for the average bar / restaurant gig I think it's fine. I've been considering adding one to our setup.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:33 AM

I use a Beat Buddy, the slimmed down version, some but find the intros and endings more suited for an electric guitar/band gig than a solo acoustic artist like myself. My fix? I bought a small size volume pedal and use it to bring in the Beat Buddy after the intro and end it before the ending of the drum pattern. Not the easiest or user friendly but it can work.
I wonder what the simplest easy piece of gear is that gives us drum patterns for solo acoustic acts.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-26-2017, 11:17 AM

I've always wanted to get the Beatbuddy but the price of it + lack of battery-power and already having to deal with vocal harmonies is already maxing out the work I have to do with my foot! I'm really hoping that the Beatbuddy get more refinements and versions over time that makes the whole setup easier to operate. It'll be even more awesome if TC-Helicon can add the functionalities of a Beatbuddy to their future products!

There's a relatively new product out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGQRNjVOilI

Doesn't sound great to me though!

Last edited by necrome; 04-26-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:37 PM

You can youtube "Suitcase Drum Kit" and get some ideas on building a percussion instrument. I've seen these used live a few times by soloist and it did add not only another musical element but also an added entertainment element. I think buskers should consider having one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fz2YfKBLfw
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 04-27-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_mac View Post
I am in a similar situation, if may ask

Did you get the full Beat buddy or it's stripped down smaller version and do you need some sort of interface to make it talk to OnSong on your iPad or is it just a cable?

Cheers Steve

Hi there. Yes I got the full Beatbuddy.
It has midi Bluetooth capability to work with programs like Onsong, you can also edit the beats(I remove most of the intros) and also the drum sets.
Being acoustic I use one you can download from Beatbuddy called World Percussion(Cajon, shakers etc) and also one a user made.
The mini is great for home but to really utilize it at a gig I would get the full version. It truly was worth every penny.
Heck I think my Strymon El Capistan cost $300.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info
Old 04-28-2017, 02:59 PM

I have had good success with a bass and snare stompbox from http://www.peterman.com.au/music/stompboxes. Your PA or amp needs a good woofer or sub for any bass stompbox to sound decent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2017, 03:10 PM

+1 for anything you actually play yourself -- like the Peterman "hockey puck" stompers mentioned above or the Meinl FX unit. I'll get reamed again for having the ghastly opinion that "drummers in a box" are just cheesy, but so be it. I doubt the average audience really cares whether you have a computer chip playing along with you; if you're competent on your guitar & vocals, you should be fine.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
+1 for anything you actually play yourself -- like the Peterman "hockey puck" stompers mentioned above or the Meinl FX unit. I'll get reamed again for having the ghastly opinion that "drummers in a box" are just cheesy, but so be it. I doubt the average audience really cares whether you have a computer chip playing along with you; if you're competent on your guitar & vocals, you should be fine.
I feel the same way about drummer in a box.
And also harmony in a box. Reminds me of that millly vanilly thing back
In the 70s...if the band can't sing harmony then they should not.
As a solo artist harmony sounds fake...because your not making it a box is.
A looper if your creating it on the fly, seems ok to me...go figure.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:26 PM

I'm not crazy about the "drummer in a box" either. That's why I started with a stomp box. It was just too hard to use it more than sparingly while standing.
If you sit in a chair at a gig then it would be a much better option.
I really like the Beatbuddy because I can take out the big intros and use more simple percussion that adds a nice beat, but doesn't overpower.
It's guitar and vocals out front, with something to tap their feet to...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification