The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Hey SunnyDee

Roger Hudson style may not be yours or others cup of tea. BUT I personally like it.

Roger has sections of his arrangements where he lets them ring while playing other notes. I'm not sure if what Roger does is different than other players with open strings. He is also not afraid of using a capo on his nylon string guitar and that tends to give a nice change. PLUS he isn't a tapping or bongo type guitar player. His use of harmonic's is minimal & tasteful.

While the video is very bad, it's an example of his use of a capo and ringing open strings... I tend to call this haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asXmnMBVch0

FWIW- I'm also a fan of John Knowles, Gene Bertoncini, Charlie Byrd, Ralph Towner and a few other Nylon string guitar players.

Dave
Very nice link! I only knew of Roger Hudson through his book at Mel Bay. the only way I heard his music was by playing it myself from the sheet music. Nice to hear it by the man himself.

All those guys you mentioned, I love listening to them. I have three books by Ralph Towner, as well as his solo CDs and some from the group Oregon.

Gene Bertoncini has a very interesting DVD on playing solo guitar, as well as some really nice solo work on CD. He is quite the harmonic explorer.

Charlie Byrd did a lot to bring Bossa Nova to the public ear, as well as promote the nylon string guitar for jazz. He left quite a legacy of recordings for those who care to look him up.

If you like those guys, check out David Qualey. He is all over Youtube and has a web site. I took a lesson from him in person once when he came back to the US to do some performances.

I could go on and on and on, but it is time to let somebody else post. You just touched on my favorite corner of the guitar world, and I am just tickled that anybody else here is even aware of it.

One thing about this corner of the guitar world is that you have to spend time learning and understanding what you are doing, rather than just banging away at chords with fingerpicking patterns. There is a finesse here that takes time and attention to even begin to approach.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-19-2017, 04:44 PM

FWIW.. Roger has 3 books via Mel Bay. I have been delving into 2 of the books lately. They are "Guitar Peace" & "Delta" lately... Lots of interesting solo guitar arrangements. A cool feature is that of these both books come with internet links to download free mp3 files of the songs.

This song by Roger is my current challenge to play cleanly; Elegy for a Surfer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRDAEc1Xse4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Very nice link! I only knew of Roger Hudson through his book at Mel Bay. the only way I heard his music was by playing it myself from the sheet music. Nice to hear it by the man himself.

All those guys you mentioned, I love listening to them. I have three books by Ralph Towner, as well as his solo CDs and some from the group Oregon.

Gene Bertoncini has a very interesting DVD on playing solo guitar, as well as some really nice solo work on CD. He is quite the harmonic explorer.

Charlie Byrd did a lot to bring Bossa Nova to the public ear, as well as promote the nylon string guitar for jazz. He left quite a legacy of recordings for those who care to look him up.

If you like those guys, check out David Qualey. He is all over Youtube and has a web site. I took a lesson from him in person once when he came back to the US to do some performances.

I could go on and on and on, but it is time to let somebody else post. You just touched on my favorite corner of the guitar world, and I am just tickled that anybody else here is even aware of it.

One thing about this corner of the guitar world is that you have to spend time learning and understanding what you are doing, rather than just banging away at chords with fingerpicking patterns. There is a finesse here that takes time and attention to even begin to approach.

Tony
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write