The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
...It often feels that some players look down on Ibanez or think they can only do metal and aren't in the same league as Gibson, Fender, etc.

To me, they're so well made, easy to play and have great tone. I know some people won't like having 24 frets as they feel it affects the bass on the neck tone but I think my Ibanez sounds and plays great. ...
Some of that is likely rooted in the fact that Ibanez started out making straight-up copies of Fenders and Gibsons. Ibanez guitars are very high quality, particularly the ones made in Japan. The Prestige line coming out of Indonesia are said to be good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
In a way, I'm a little surprised Ibanez hasn't taken something like JEM neck specs and built THE best playing Strat or Tele type guitars on the planet. I was in a band with a guy who took many of the specs and utilized a conventional Strat bridge and pickups to get something that very few Fenders can duplicate that kind of playability.
I'd say the new Talmans are basically their bid at Fender-type guitars with Ibanez playability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
Yeah, there was a fender that was more like a rock guitar, with a floating trem and 22 frets, forget what it was called. I only found out about them recently but wish I could have got one. I don't think they do them anymore.
Do you mean rear-routed double-locking trem and 24 frets? They had those in the late '80s, The Strat (official name).

They also had the Heartfield line, which were essentially RG copies. At various times they've had things like the Floyd Rose Classic Strat, with a bridge humbucker and original Floyd but otherwise Strat styling. If you mean what you said, the new American Elites have compound-radius fretboards and 22 frets. And really all vibratos are meant to float.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M View Post
Do you mean rear-routed double-locking trem and 24 frets? They had those in the late '80s, The Strat (official name).
Those Talmans look really cool. I might have to try one out.

I think the guitar I was thinking of was called a Stagemaster or something like that?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Prestige line coming out of Indonesia are said to be good too.
The Prestige line is made in Japan. The Premium line is made in Indonesia.

Quote:
They also had the Heartfield line, which were essentially RG copies.
These were made in FujiGen Gakki, same building as Ibanez, same folks making them.

I have personally been playing Ibanez electrics since 1979, when I traded my last LPC for an AR-300, and have never looked back. I've had 100's of electrics over the years, but most fo that stopped when I got into Ibanez. 70's hollowbody jazz guitars, an '81 AS-200 335 killer, and a few more as well. If you get along with the necks, which can be thin, then the Japanese made models are excellent guitars and among the best available. But all of their guitars are competitive within their price ranges.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
The Prestige line is made in Japan. The Premium line is made in Indonesia.
Ah, apologies, that's right! Judging from that user name, you would know

Per his later post, it does seem the OP was talking about the more recent iteration of the Fender superstrat.

And like Heartfield, I do believe the HMs were Japanese. Agreed, Ibanez does have something good to offer in most any price range, an an enviably diverse product line. Though that too could be at the root of it being "underrated."
Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I'd say the new Talmans are basically their bid at Fender-type guitars with Ibanez playability.

They also had the Heartfield line, which were essentially RG copies. At various times they've had things like the Floyd Rose Classic Strat, with a bridge humbucker and original Floyd but otherwise Strat styling. If you mean what you said, the new American Elites have compound-radius fretboards and 22 frets. And really all vibratos are meant to float.
Had not seen the new Talmans. I was thinking more of a Jem or RG Prestige mixed with a Strat or Tele. I played some 90's Talmans and wasn't particularly impressed with them, but that could have been setup issues.

The Heartfields were kinda nice. I've only played a few of The Strats. Ok guitars, but basically intermediate with the components.

I dig some of the American Elites. A little too late for me now that I have exactly what I want/need.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 PM

I think Ibanez makes quality guitars, but originally made cheap copies of well-known American guitars and many of those guitars are still circulating. Also, Ibanez has a low-budget student guitar GIO, which is found in every music store representing Ibanez quality.

Last edited by Neonzapper; 03-05-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Are Ibanes guitars underated??

Ibanez are known for their metal monsters, it is true, but they are also well respected for the Artist models (my band mate has the elegant black version and it is his favourite of all his guitars, and I can see why!), the Musician series (gorgeous Alembic-like guitars and basses), not to mention the hollow-body George Benson models and the slimline semi-hollow (I forget the model name/number).

I really enjoy playing my RG and it complements the Fender and G&L single coils I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Ibanez are known for their metal monsters, it is true, but they are also well respected for the Artist models (my band mate has the elegant black version and it is his favourite of all his guitars, and I can see why!), the Musician series (gorgeous Alembic-like guitars and basses), not to mention the hollow-body George Benson models and the slimline semi-hollow (I forget the model name/number).

I really enjoy playing my RG and it complements the Fender and G&L single coils I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree 100%. The Artist series is the one that put Ibanez on the map and is still, in my book, the best guitar they ever made. The original Artists were (and some say are) better than anything Gibson was making at the time.

Sadly, they gradually diluted the Artist line with el cheapo models...just got lower and lower until they just seemed to vanish. They turned their attention to the 'super-strat' models they're more famous for now. Not to denigrate those guitars...the models favored by such as Satriani and Vai are certainly at the top for that style of ax...very high-quality guitars.

I think they made a mistake by moving away from the Artist series the way they did, though, but it seems to be making a bit of a comeback now, with AR series being re-issued, MIC. These newer versions are not quite up to the quality of the original ones; for one thing, they made the body a bit thinner without compensating for the reduced body weight, and the guitars are just a tad neck-heavy as a result. Also, I miss the original Gibraltar hardware with the inset sustain block under the bridge and the much-higher-quality tuners. In spite of that (the neck-dive really isn't excessive...just noticeable after handling my strats) I really like my MIC AR420; plays great, pickups sound great, love the "tri-sound" switches/wiring that lets you put each pup in Series, Parallel or Tap, which makes for extreme versatility. I plan to upgrade the tuners and add a Stetsbar Tremolo, which will not only give me trem, but will add enough weight to the tail to compensate for the neck-diving.

These are also a really fantastic bargain at the prices they're asking...they're a LOT of guitar for well under a grand, and if you like you can still get a higher-quality Japanese-made Artist for about the same price as a Les Paul Standard. Also, the aforementioned George Benson model and the Artist hollowbody (335-style) guitar are very well regarded...just ask Benson or John Scofield, who both still play those models.

I'm still kicking myself for selling off my 1979 Japanese-made Artist (that one had Super 80 pups on it!), so when they came out with the MIC re-issue I was all over it!
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars