The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-17-2016, 02:41 AM

Default Amp or multi effect pedal - on budget

I was here a while ago toying with the idea of getting an electric guitar and amp. Plenty of good suggestions but I went cold on the idea. Anyway, a friend asked if I knew anyone interested in an old guitar - "lyon" by Washburn. I said I will take it and it works ok through my acoustic amp - Roland ac-33. Anyway, I need either an amp or use a pedal of some description and then run through the Roland.
I have been looking at the Blackstar ID Core 10 or 20 and it gets some pretty good reviews - especially at its price point. I thought the other option would be a zoom g3x. The amp is a good price - not a modelling amp and no valve but reviews that say it has some good tones. The g3x is a bit more expensive but gives more options (this is both good and bad).
Pros for the amp: price, do not have to use my Roland, gets good reviews.
Cons: getting another amp that takes up room.
Pros for the g3x: more tones and modelling capability.
Cons: costs more, more programs etc (I would prefer to just have a few knobs to dial in to adjust tone & effects rather than scrolling through options or having so many options it just gets too confusing).
I don't need or want much (yet) as I really do prefer acoustic but who knows where this might lead. I prefer playing blues and rock not into heavy metal etc.
Any ideas greatly appreciated. Remember though I am on a cheapskate budget here. This is just for practice around the house.
Cheers.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:19 AM

Check out a Fender Mustang V3, really good Fender amp emulations and it has built in pedals. I got it for considerably cheaper than the advertised internet price and it you have patience you can find them used for pretty cheap
Old 08-17-2016, 07:00 AM

I think either option will work. I have the ID Core 10 amp, though I haven't played with it much. Don't worry about having another amp taking up room: it's the size of a lunch box!
Old 08-17-2016, 09:22 AM

Just so you are aware - $99 solid state amps are considered 'throwaways' - if something goes wrong with them, they can't be repaired as it would cost more to evaluate than they are really worth.

Audition the Zoom pedal (or least go listen to some youtube videos on it) and see if you like the tones. Same for the amp. Personally, I can't see 5" speakers giving the kind of electric guitar tone I like.

You could also look at something like the Line 6 Spider 15 - another $99 amp, but it has some modeling and FX built-in. You can often find them used for under $70, too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-26-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have seen the Mustang series, but the 3 is bit more than I want to spend over here in Australia. I just want a foray into electric world.
I've seen VOX have released VT 20x - around the same price as Mustang 1 v2 over here. A friend has the previous version and he likes it a lot - and has lasted him about 3-4 years so far.
I'll try to audition some, see what I like. The simplicity of the Blackstar is appealing, reliability and reports of hissing are a bit of a turn off. The Mustang gets consistently good reviews (for what it is) but most seem to say really need to start tweaking on computer to get good tone - I'd rather play than muck around with the computer. Both of these work as USB interface too which could be handy and have software for slowing down pre recorded songs looping sections etc. The vox has a tube in the preamp section - this does not really faze me much at all in a modelling practice amp but it is there. vox has usb too but it appears to only work on ios devices and I don't have any of them.
Thanks for all the tips.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:59 AM

I have a Mustang 1 v1 and a Zoom G3.

The Mustang is ok but you do need to hookup a computer and run the Fender Fuse software to fully access the effects and setup. The software is easy to use but you may not like to have to use the computer. Also I'm not a huge fan of electric guitar sounds coming from an 8 inch speaker. I prefer 12 inch speakers for electric guitar. The Mustang 2 and upwards have 12 inch speakers.

I like the Zoom G3 a lot and it works well on acoustic guitar as well. It is very easy to use with the generous amount of knobs and colored display screens.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 09-05-2016, 01:34 AM

I checked out the Core ID:20, and it was not bad. Not great but I have no experience with electric guitars and amps so not fair to criticise. the cleans were ok, crunch not bad and I'm not into overdrive. The effects were ok but I'm not really into modulation but I suppose these are the things that give electric guitars their sound. I also tried mustang 2, and quickly went through the different models. I found one that appealed, but I think it has too many options and I would get stuck tweaking more than playing.
I have since seen the Yamaha THR series amps and am considering upping the budget. The big appeal is that they are small and light, get consistently good reviews and give good sound at low volumes. My house is a good size but I would want to keep it quiet at night when kids or missus are sleeping and this appears to be what these amps are very good at. It also seems easy to dial in a good tone which is important to me. I don't plan on gigging with it but jamming with a friend who has a Vox vt20+ and I think it should keep up. I'm probably leaning toward the THR10C - either that or get the original one. I'll try them tomorrow.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Here's the deal. Your Roland can be viewed as a PA. I would go on Ebay and find the cheapest decent "pod" or digitech multi pedal you can and give it a try through your amp.

I have owned both a digitech pedal and modeling amps from a few companies (because of my son's growth as a guitarist since the age of 11 or so). Very little difference in quality of sound between the two. Spending as little as possible to see if a pedal for your roland works for you is simply a smart investment.

We currently own this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/DigiTech-BP2...YAAOSwaB5Xo6qq or possibly the 250. Can't recall off the top of my head.

Works great through a solid state amp, headphones, whatever. At least 120 preprogrammed tones from Hendrix, to Angus, to thrash metal, The cure, etc. And you can shape them all altering gain, delay, verb, etc.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:16 AM

If for just home/bedroom... I was really happy using a used Vox tonelab hooked up to the powered computer monitors or some good headphones and not bother a soul. Some of the more recent tonelabs also have an aux input so you can also plug in your laptop to jam along with yt vids. The monitors seperated to sit on each side of you will give a depth to the field...to sound more like a small wall of sound but without the volume. I miss that little setup cause not got abunch of tubes and analogue pedals...btw you can also plug pedals pre and/or post the tonelab for a stereo wet dry 2 amp tube rig...which I did for awhile in the cave...sounded quite good.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:40 AM

When I decided to give the electric guitar a go I bought a Mustang II v.2 and I just couldn't get a sound I liked, spent way too much time "mucking" on the computer, it got where it wasn't fun. I ended up playing the electric guitar through my PA with a pedal board. I recently sold the Mustang amp and bought a Fender Blues Jr. I'm happy with the Blues Jr.

You mentioned about being on a budget. I suggest to don't buy anything, play through what you have, take what you would have spent and use that as a savings foundation and save more until you can get something decent. You will end up better off in the end.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk

Last edited by Irish Pennant; 09-05-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 PM

I have also borrowed a Yamaha THR10 and I'll tell you the Vox VT20+ or Mustang I with their 20 watts and 8 inch speakers are miles louder than the Yamaha.

I think the THR10 has 2x4" speakers and I found it on the quiet side.
Nice quality but a bit polite.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars