The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I agree the split coil won't sound like a standard issue single coil. My experience in 2 different cases, splitting a Fender OEM humbucker produced a more full bodied single coil tone than the actual single coil pickup itself. I personally find that useful since the thin tone isn't to my liking.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 AM

There was only one model I wanted, an artic white HSS with Rosewood board.

Mine is modified now with Obsidian Solderless Wiring Harness (CTS POTS, Treble Bleed Kit and Blend Knob), Suhr Pete Thorn "Thornbucker Plus" bridge humbucker pickup, bone nut, Fender Locking tuners and more.

Here it is the day I bought it.

You can click the link in my signature to see all the mods I've done. I made videos installing all the parts.

20160614_195400 by , on Flickr

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 08-31-2016, 07:44 AM

I vote for HSS. I have a Deluxe with the noiseless singles and a humbucker and S1 switch thingie. It'll cover a LOT of tonal range, including hard rock, up to ZZ Top, AD/DC type stuff. Won't do heavy metal squeals much though. And it won't sound like a Tele, dang it.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
The bridge pickup (Fender Custom Shop 54 single coil) on my Stratocaster is plenty hot enough for soloing. (Yet to be fully convinced that a hum-bucker is a better alternative but each to their own).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
For what you play, I'd go SSS. And this from a guy who currently plays two-humbucker guitars exclusively, but I've owned both flavors of Strats and I actually prefer SSS for most anything played with a Strat.

Also, honestly, I wouldn't over-think it. You can get great, and very similar, sounds both ways. I'd focus more on how the guitar feels in your hands, how it plays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
SSS

The humbucker with coil split won't ever sound the same as a single coil - even if the winds are the same, the magnets are different.
I thought this blog post on Seymour Duncan's site was a good assessment of the pros and cons of the HSS configuration. It is a compromise, of course: deciding which pickup settings are essential, which you can do without (or live with an approximation). For HSS users the notion seems to be that the Strat bridge pickup isn't that useful to them.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:35 AM

Love the strat quack in the 2/4 selector position. The thing about strats....they are easy to mod quickly. Whatever choice you make can be quickly undone with a pickguard-pup change. Just make sure you have the routes in the guitar to go to a bucker from a single.

I have 2 pickguards for mine with both SSS and HSS. Once I went to the HSS I have not gone back. I like the 2/4 selector position with the HSS enough to not change.

These questions are hard for anyone answer for you. It so depends on the sounds you like.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:30 PM

Thanks to all you guys for taking the time to offer me advice.

There were a few responses that were a little unclear as to what their real preference is, but for those who expressed a definite opinion, if you're interested, here's how they compile:

HSS 8

SSS 5

HSH 2

So it looks like a slight edge for 1 humbucker at the bridge. But as someone said, it's a personal preference.

Thanks again.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-03-2016, 02:07 AM

Have a sss with low k pu and a hss with hotter k pu's...they are both cats but with a different meow. Btw the hss has a micro switch to split the hb...which with a 4 lead hb...is a very easy diy with pp pot.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Btw the hss has a micro switch to split the hb...which with a 4 lead hb...is a very easy diy with pp pot.
Thanks. Please elaborate. What I don't understand is:

1. which with a 4 lead hb - you mean the hb that comes with the strat is 4 leads?

2. is a very easy diy with pp pot - you mean a re-wire? If so, how? Also, not sure what "pp" means.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
For what you play, I'd go SSS. And this from a guy who currently plays two-humbucker guitars exclusively, but I've owned both flavors of Strats and I actually prefer SSS for most anything played with a Strat.

Also, honestly, I wouldn't over-think it. You can get great, and very similar, sounds both ways. I'd focus more on how the guitar feels in your hands, how it plays.
Agreed. SSS for me too. Good luck with whatever you pick.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Thanks. Please elaborate. What I don't understand is:

1. which with a 4 lead hb - you mean the hb that comes with the strat is 4 leads?

2. is a very easy diy with pp pot - you mean a re-wire? If so, how? Also, not sure what "pp" means.
Jerry...there is lots of diagrams...a quick search...explains much better than I could...its called "coil tapped" HB

http://guitarheads.net/tech/wiringpu/wiringpuhb.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars