The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2016, 07:13 AM

I think you got some good advice here. One thing I would add, practice your electric guitar acoustically at first. That will really help you get the feel for it as you will be able to hear (and feel) whats going on before you pump it through the amp.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think you got some good advice here. One thing I would add, practice your electric guitar acoustically at first. That will really help you get the feel for it as you will be able to hear (and feel) whats going on before you pump it through the amp.
With respect, I offer precisely the opposite advice. The point of playing electric guitar is that you're playing the amp. Everything from fretting hand pressure to picking-hand dynamics to string damping changes when you're plugged in. In general, I think it's somewhat pointless to practice unplugged.

But hey, these are minor points. Just have fun, it'll work out either way.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:34 AM

I guess there are two schools of thought on that. One of the greatest guitar teachers I know says he plays his electric guitars unplugged all the time and teaches that method too. But yeah at the same time you need to know how to play through effects and your amps settings too and the only way to do that is to plug in.

But I like to think of the electric guitar as an acoustic one first. I know that people say, for example, don't worry about the buzz if it doesn't come through the amp but you can control that touch by hearing and feeling it acoustically first.

It's just another tool in the shed really.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:24 AM

An electric to and acoustic is kind of like a synthesizer to a piano. Same concept, but slightly different approach and feel. I practice my electric all the time while I'm watching TV. Doing scales keeps up the calluses and doesn't bother anyone else in the room.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM

Hi guys

So this is turning out to be not so easy to try a couple of guitars out you guys suggested - hollow/ semi hollow body.

Drove a good few miles to a town called Linz yesterday.
Okay nice shop - met a group of guys who meet up Fridays in the cafe in the shop.
But hollow Body guitar?
A good selection of Gibson - a bit to expensive for me as a starter to electric.
Any Epiphone? just a few - I fancied trying a 339 pro
Gretsch? 2
Loads of usual teles and strats fom Fender/ Squire.

I think this is going to take a while . . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars