The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Default Small batch CD pressings

Anyone know of the best places (and of course best prices) to get a small batch of cds pressed like 10 or 20. Does anyone do this or would I just get a cd duplicated for this? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Tooling costs for pressing a CD would make such a small run pretty impractical for all but the very well to do and corporate folks who are pitching something BIG to a very small audience. I'd probably just go with duplication for that amouont.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM

I've never even seen quotes for pressing (replication) runs of fewer than 200, and it's just not cost-effective do do even that few (most of the expense involves setting up the glass master for stamping)--1000 is usually the minimum advisable for pressing. Go with duplication. These days, most people's decks and drives can read burned CDs and most blanks have compatible dyes. Do make sure you have the disk surface professionally printed with decent inserts as well (you can go the DIY route if you have the right printer, software, media and--most important--"eye"). Appearances matter.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:17 PM

I had a run of 1000 done here for a friend. Everything was smooth. Here is their recent price email. PM me for the name of the company. I didn't know if It's OK to plug like this.

CD Replication Specials - FREE POSTERS!*

1,000 2 Panel Replicated CDs - $849.00
1,000 4 Panel Replicated CDs - $949.00
1,000 6 Panel Replicated CDs - $1025.00

ALL Above Replicated Jewel Case Packages are Retail Ready and include 4/1 Insert, 1 Side 4/0 Tray Card, 3 Color Silkscreen Print CD, Jewel case, Overwrap & Barcode.

CD Duplication Specials - We Won't Be Beat On Pricing!
100 2 Panel Duplicated CDs - $200.00
100 4 Panel Duplicated CDs - $225.00
100 6 Panel Duplicated CDs - $300.00

ALL Above Duplicated Jewel Case Packages are Retail Ready and include 4/4 Insert, 1 Side 4/0 Tray Card, Full Color Chroma Plus Print CD, Jewel case, Overwrap & Barcode. Upgrades available.

Great Specials on 300 & 500 Quantities Too!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 PM

http://www.kunaki.com/

The have done a good job for us on all 7 projects we sent.
TTM-KAE

"Whether you have good taste or not depends on how many people agree with you" - George Martin
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

DISCMAKERS does short runs all the time and even has an online quote tool with all of the printing and packaging options to choose form that will tell you exactly how much your CD's will cost. Iv'e had great results from them doing some short run DVD productions for work--like 80-100.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfeiff View Post
DISCMAKERS does short runs all the time and even has an online quote tool with all of the printing and packaging options to choose form that will tell you exactly how much your CD's will cost. Iv'e had great results from them doing some short run DVD productions for work--like 80-100.
But these are CD-Rs, right? The OP specified "pressing" which is a different technology with substantial setup costs.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-25-2008, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
But these are CD-Rs, right? The OP specified "pressing" which is a different technology with substantial setup costs.

Fran
Not sure--they certainly are perfectly functional CD's with full color artwork printed on them. What makes a "pressing" more desirable? Just curious...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:39 PM

Default Radio

Most radio stations won't play CD-R's. It's a problem that emerging artists face. For sales they are OK...but if you want radio play then you'll need replicated not duplicated discs.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 PM

DiskFaktory is the site I've used multiple times for all of my cd pressing needs. They'll do batches of 100, no problem.. in a wide variety of packaging/no packaging.

Great great people.

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 10-28-2008, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Most radio stations won't play CD-R's. It's a problem that emerging artists face. For sales they are OK...but if you want radio play then you'll need replicated not duplicated discs.
WOW--I had no idea. Is the sound quality all that much better?? Must be...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nope. Many of them just turn the CD over and look at the bottom. If they whiff that they are low budget, out they go. Radio stations and such are inundated by people with their new music and have to find artificial criteria to screen out some of the poop. Having worked for some cable TV music video shows, I can tell you that it's sad to see some of this stuff come and go. It's amazing to sit in the middle of a pile of music that no-one wants, including yourself. I've got piles of CDs at home that I'm simply going to have to take back to work and throw on the "Does anyone want these?"" pile.

Let's say I'm becoming more selective in what I listen to (and I was always pretty selective) rather than less.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell