The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-24-2008, 12:57 PM

A lot has already be said, so I'll just say good song and great voice!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matximus View Post
Intro sounds good to me too. It works. Why mess with it? And who cares if Am-C is played out. When regular people - not songwriting nerds - hear a tune they don't care about that kinda stuff. Just if it sounds good. And this does. Cheers!

-M
-M, these are the types of statements that discourage folks from posting serious critiques. There is no need to dis me as a "songwriting nerd" or be sarcastic about my comments about C-Am over use. It is enough for you to give Andrew your opinion, you do not have to critique what others have posted. If you continue to criticize the people who offer opinions, no one will give an honest critique and this will be a worthless place to get help improving our work.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-24-2008, 06:37 PM

I agree with Bob.

Constructive criticism, especially when the poster specifically asks for it, is how we learn. This is a guitar forum, not a songwriters master class, so both the songs and critiques need to be taken within context, and some common courtesy should be expected.

SnoSkiDrew I think you have a really nice potential song. Your voice is very nice and you sing well (breathing/phrasing). To me the strumming does get monotonous and the breaks are too long. It would work as a rhythm track, in fact it would be very good uniform rhythm playing in a mix; this song lends itself well to a band performance with drums, bass and lead.

If you were performing with just guitar then Bob's point is well taken, some variance in strumming, or flatpicking/fingerpicking would be the seasoning to make a good song even better. If you listen to solo acoustic players like Amos Lee, James Taylor, etc. their playing is never one strumming pattern the entire song. Unless you are going to add other instruments, stylize the playing a little and you will have a very commercial song.

Good job, the potential song in there is excellent, I really like it.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 PM

Thank you so much for the compliments and the polite suggestions as well -- I appreciate and consider them both equally.

Love the AGF.

www.andrewsullivanmusic.com

Facebook - YouTube - Twitter - Instagram
Old 10-27-2008, 02:23 PM

I love it. It is a song that makes you just tap your toes and nod your head. Is there a way to download it so I can put it on my IPOD?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
-M, these are the types of statements that discourage folks from posting serious critiques. There is no need to dis me as a "songwriting nerd" or be sarcastic about my comments about C-Am over use. It is enough for you to give Andrew your opinion, you do not have to critique what others have posted. If you continue to criticize the people who offer opinions, no one will give an honest critique and this will be a worthless place to get help improving our work.
Bob,

I apologize for needling you directly. That wasn't my intention. I didn't mean that YOU are songwriter nerd - more like all of us, you know?

But I wasn't being sarcastic about C-Am. I honestly disagree. Who cares if something's played out, as long as it works? And my point - which I stand by - is that casual listeners to music (I.E. Geeks that aren't obsessed with the technical aspects of songwriting, like us) don't care about cliched chord porgressions and whatnot. They just care if it sounds good. And this song, I believe, does. -M
Old 10-27-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_bob76148 View Post
I love it. It is a song that makes you just tap your toes and nod your head. Is there a way to download it so I can put it on my IPOD?
Sure thing -- I believe that you can download it directly from the boomp3 site. There's a small button that says "download mp3 file" right next to the player. If this doesn't work for you, let me know and we'll go from there.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Just realized you are in Fort Worth. I live in Watauga. Cool to see people near by. I can't find the download button, but I will keep trying to figure out away. I will send you a friend request shortly
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I think the song works great. Fabulous vocal performance. The guitar works fine. i just think the mix and EQ and effects could be played with. The guitar is really cutting through trebbly and a bit harsh. Cutting through is fine. Harsh is not. It seems to overpower the voice, which is probably too mellow in the mix. I'd cut back the guitar volume and play with the EQ adding more fullness. Either that or put it in the background like an old time radio sound. The vocal seems to need to be EQ'd with some more treble. It needs to be more prominent.

You have a stellar vocal presentation. The song is very engaging. The guitarwork is fine; very steady and dead on timing.

I think with some tweaking on the mix you've got a GREAT song/recording there.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:52 PM

Very cool, Drew! Your voice kinda reminds me of Gin Blossoms from the '90s and I love the Gin Blossoms. Great tune.....I like! Recording sounds Sweet too! Nice job!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Marshall, BillyBob, 66strummer -- thank you for the kind words and for the suggestions. I take them all to heart very much and am thankful that you guys listened!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell