The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
... Need to fix that:

Nice work..I stand corrected..& withdraw my apology..rock on

One guitar an old "yameehaa" (when grow up I would like a maton)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 AM

AC/DC was the first ever concert i attended as a 15 year old, complete with riot. Malcolm is my all time fave rhythm guitrist and Let there be rock album the biggest highlight.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-16-2014, 07:32 AM

mmmm...gotta be "If you Want Blood, Whole Lotta Rosie, Long Way to the Top"
Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal View Post
I guess your right about the lack of acoustic guitar content..but AC DC are about "breakin all the rules"
My apologies if I have offended.
I'll add some acoustic guitar content for you. Never played AC/DC when I was in our electric band, but just for kicks, I have added "You Shook Me All Night Long" to my solo acoustic gigs. It actually gets quite a rise out of the crowds.

Last edited by steamfurnace; 04-16-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:54 AM

The guitar solo to "Shook Me All Night Long" is one of the best ever. Back in the day I didn't bother to learn many guitar solos note for note, but that one is such an integral part of the music that it demands to be learned note for note. I never got tired of playing that and still play it now and again.

I'm going to have to try it on acoustic today now.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Just read that Malcom is officially taking a break from performing
I would also like to mention TNT, Jailbreak & Big balls to my former list of favorites.

One guitar an old "yameehaa" (when grow up I would like a maton)
Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 PM

Pretty much all the material with Bon Scott. Back In Black was real good too. For Those About To Rock.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM

AC/DC was my first un-chaperoned concert. It was 1986 (Who Made Who tour) and mom had to drop my buddies and I off as we did not yet have driver licenses (we were 15). Poplar Creek Music Theatre in the Chicago suburbs.

Let's just say it was an awesome and eye opening experience. Both Young brothers were on fire that night.

I wish I could time warp and see that show all over again.
"Where's that confounded bridge?"
Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCityLefty View Post
AC/DC was my first un-chaperoned concert. It was 1986 (Who Made Who tour) and mom had to drop my buddies and I off as we did not yet have driver licenses (we were 15). Poplar Creek Music Theatre in the Chicago suburbs.

Let's just say it was an awesome and eye opening experience. Both Young brothers were on fire that night.

I wish I could time warp and see that show all over again.
Seeing Angus go nuts onstage was quite an experience. Dirty Deeds was the record that made me want to play guitar.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Angus Young has one of the best, if not the best vibrato in the business.....and Malcom Young is every bit the riffmeister that Keith Richards ever was.

Huge talent in a couple of guys that are barely bigger than their guitars.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 PM

I'm a big AC/DC fan myself. The first song I ever heard by them was TNT, played on a local (San Jose) radio station at midnight back in 1976. The show was called "Make it or break it"
People would call in and vote.
I immediately went out and searched for the LP. It was hard to find, no-one had heard of them. I turned all my friends onto them after I found the LP. I still have it, in fact I have every US and Aussie LP pressing from the Bonn Scott era.

Anyway in 1978 I finally got to see them play at a "Day on the Green" in Oakland. Later that night I got to meet both Malcolm and Bonn at a party.
It was pretty cool to meet them and spend time talking with them. Bonn and Malcolm are about 5'2", little guys. Bonn's girlfriend was 6 feet tall and spent most of her time trying keep Bonn upright.
He bounced off me a couple of times when I was talking with Malcolm.
Malcolm and Angus originally came from the same part of Scotland as me so eventhough they were young lads when they left for Australia, Malcolm still remembered a lot about the area and school.

I went to see them again when they came back to Oakland in 1980 for the "Back in Black" tour. It was a great show but without Bonn it was a bit depressing.
After the show I got back stage and had a beer and smoke with Malcolm. He seemed a bit burned out but it was probably due to playing a long set.

They were really cool guys when I met them, not the typical rock star attitude. I hope Malcolm recovers and gets as healthy as he can so he can at least enjoy the rest of his life. They defined 3 chord rock and no-one sounds like these guys. An AC/DC concert is something to experience, hopefully everyone got to see them in their prime.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:48 PM

I always thought "Back in Black" was one of the best Rock albums ever made..I do like a lot of their music, but B in B was the total package..
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcaleca View Post
I always thought "Back in Black" was one of the best Rock albums ever made..I do like a lot of their music, but B in B was the total package..
A lot of people agree. Second highest selling LP of all time. So far.

Either everyone who ever loved rock bought it, or they reached a lot wider than than. I walked out of the store with a copy as soon as I heard it.

It spoilt me. I naively thought every record was meant to be that good from start to finish… I thought that's how LPs were.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
As a drummer who happens to own a guitar: whenever someone asks me about learning to play drums, I tell 'em to get Back in Black and learn the drum parts. Phil Rudd. A perfect drummer. No fills, all beat.
Malcolm is just the same, great way of putting it. That's probably why it works so well.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 AM

Mark Kozelek, who has done several mostly acoustic albums under the name Sun Kil Moon, has recorded two albums of quite substantially reinvented ACDC songs with just acoustic guitar and voice. Maybe hardcore ACDC fans might think these covers are taking the p*** - I get the impression my mother's toyboy wasn't keen - but as with many of the last decade or so's trend of unexpected acoustic covers, they do seem to scrape back to a sincerity and a beating heart behind what for many of us would seem to be typical 80s excesses or mere C*ck Rock.

Love At First Feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvPIWyJVsmA

Up To My Neck In You:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_TBnDGKKnI

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion