The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCook1 View Post
Freight Train.

Jack
My thought, too. "Freight Train" is a good song to start learning the Travis pick on.

- Glenn
Old 11-23-2014, 02:25 PM

Here are my suggestions:

Dust in the Wind
Landslide
Windy and Warm

They are among the easiest because of the alternating bass line. I hear that Freight Train helps develop the same muscle memory.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:01 PM

+1 for Freight Train.

Alternating bass, melody on top, simple yet beautiful.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm a big advocate of improper finger picking, but you have to start somewhere, so my suggestion is to look up Marcel Dadi on YouTube. He was always an educator, and thousands of players learned from his albums, which always included tabs.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcg View Post
+1 on that. I thought EVERYBODY started with Freight Train
Nope, I started with John Denver's Leaving On A Jet Plane and Beatles Blackbird.

But Freight Train (Martin Tallstrom version) does help me get into what they called "Beginner Advance"

2010 VAOM-04
2012 Custom Secco Guitar

2013 Collings OM2H

2014 Cordoba Fusion 12 Natural

YouTube Channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/hendragunawanng
Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
It really all depends on the type of music you would enjoy playing. What are your interests?
various...

but restricting the focus to music that i associate to fingerpicking, for instance, hot tuna's debut album is something i've been listening to with pleasure for many years now.
I kind of manage bits of some songs to an acceptable level, but there's always a bit where i mess it up: normally i can't do anything too complicated on the high strings wothout losing the bass line.

i find most chet or chet-related stuff impressive and "funny" at the same time though that's mostly occasional youtube listening.

another reason why i'm interested in fingerpicking would be to chord-melody some jazz standards, not to a virtuoso level but at least the main theme of them.

and finally there is music i sometimes listen to, that is not usually guitar-intensive but that could make for funny fingerpicking arrangements if i knew how to
(an example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvk5qGPlXzw .Ok there's a manouche guitar doing "la pompe", but what really makes the tune is the ragtime piano stuff...)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion