The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 AM

Default Importance of Learning Other Positions

Like many beginners I have only been playing in 1st position.

Is 5th position the next one to tackle?

What are main reasons to know other positions other than looking cool?
Old 02-16-2018, 02:27 AM
Charter Member

For starters read up on the CAGED system of chords.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-16-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF_AR View Post
You're a guitar player. You're learning guitar. (Of course, I guess looking cool is one reason you're doing that in the first place )

Still, you're doing it the right way. I get the impression a lot of beginners (on electric at least) start learning pentatonic scales in 5th position before they're familiar with open position - and even before they really know what a scale is or what it's for.

The more you know about open position, the easier and quicker it is to understand the rest of the fretboard.

I agree with rick-slo, the CAGED system is a good way to get acquainted with the neck. But make sure you know those 5 major scales in open position, and how they fit around each chord shape. CAGED is then simply the process of converting all that into movable shapes and patterns.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Like many beginners I have only been playing in 1st position.

Is 5th position the next one to tackle?

I'm thinking that 2nd position would be the next. My reason for this is that in 1st position the most logical scales to start with are G major and C major. If you drop down to 2nd position, you can start G major on the 6th string/3rd fret with the 2nd finger. C major starts in the same position, one string over (5th). Once you get that one down you can take those same patterns all the way down the neck in all the major keys.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

There's probably a great book on the subject somewhere, maybe someone has a link to one. I wouldn't mind finding one either.

Chords played in other positions aren't for looks, they are for a purpose. A picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

Steve Howe's "Clap"

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Here are some: Different chord voicings, melody movement, ease of forming chords and/or ease of moving from one to another, playing with another guitarist and not playing exactly the same thing, and ability to play notes that aren't available in the 1st position.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter...

I like books and am trying to teach myself. As Mr Moustache says, I am an "elderly gentleman" and a recluse.

Only book I have found that seems to offer a systematic approach is Chris Buono's book MUSIC READING FOR GUITAR PLAYERS. It first works on time and then has exercises to teach you where every note is on the fretboard.

Only way I can learn is repeat, repeat, repeat, exercises while looking at the music to keep my eyes off the instrument.

I do have a fiddle tunes for guitar book that has tab and staff and several songs are played in higher positions. Hope to try learning one or two of those this spring..that should help.

Am also working through a 3 volume basic Method book and just getting to keys that use b and # and playing scales. (they don't introduce this until book 2)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Pick an intro book that has a lot of complete songs and tunes in it. Then continue to that via other books or the internet.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Wow, Derek.....lots of good music on your website. Will be looking into some of those tunes!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write