The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-24-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Makes me really want to try a Walker.
Stop by the next time you're in the eastern US! Walkers, vintage Gibsons, Vintage Larsons, and Vintage Nationals await you.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Oh man! Where in the East are you? I hear it’s a big place.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Oh man! Where in the East are you? I hear it’s a big place.
In Connecticut, about 90 minutes by train from NYC.

Let's do this!
Old 12-24-2017, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
In Connecticut, about 90 minutes by train from NYC.

Let's do this!
I’m there!
Old 12-25-2017, 11:44 AM

I was knocked out when I first saw John's Walker. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Was always attracted to the Gibson Florentine option, and learning that the glitter was a Gibson feature too, I couldn't resist. A friend gave me a piece of real celluloid from Italy, I concocted a gold/silver glitter, and I decided to go with Oak and Red Spruce. Sorry, haven't been able to make pictures come up on this site. Scroll to the right (or left), and descriptions below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...7649776959267/

Thanks for doing that project John - one of the most inspiring instruments I have ever seen

Ed
Old 12-25-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobolo Kid View Post
Don't wish for old age or a premature lack of mobility.

Great builds so far!
My instant impression, before the pun hit me, was that you were referring to the decade + waiting list.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
I was knocked out when I first saw John's Walker. Couldn't believe what I was seeing. Was always attracted to the Gibson Florentine option, and learning that the glitter was a Gibson feature too, I couldn't resist. A friend gave me a piece of real celluloid from Italy, I concocted a gold/silver glitter, and I decided to go with Oak and Red Spruce. Sorry, haven't been able to make pictures come up on this site. Scroll to the right (or left), and descriptions below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ruby16...7649776959267/

Thanks for doing that project John - one of the most inspiring instruments I have ever seen

Ed
Very cool John Walker project!
Old 12-25-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
My instant impression, before the pun hit me, was that you were referring to the decade + waiting list.
My initial impression, too!

A couple of years back, when Kim's waiting list reached 9 years, he stopped taking orders.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I’m there!
Cool!

Just give me enough notice to invite John Slobod and Kim Walker to join us. Both (plus Dale Fairbanks) have attended my previous guitar gatherings. I'll invite TJ Thompson, too.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:10 PM

Default favorite build

I have been fortunate to have had several builds done. I think my favorite build (doesn't necessarily mean my favorite guitar) was John Kinnaird's, the OOO Ziracote/Adk one with the curly ash neck and bindings, Most of the time, I think it is my prettiest guitar, but what made the build fun was the give and take of ideas with John, someone who loves woods every bit as much as I do. Others have done the same thing, I suppose, but John's enthusiasm for what we were creating was just exceptional. Totally responsive to my many notes and calls, ready to try new things, generous with pictures of the progress we were making.. it all added up to a fantastic experience. To be fair to the others who have since built for me (I am especially thinking of Mark Hatcher now), some were probably every bit as good at these things... only they weren't first.

(And, no, not all my guitars were built with me in mind, so don't go trying to read in something that isn't there.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 PM

Hard to decide, but this was the most fun:

And this was the most educational:

Old 12-28-2017, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I have been fortunate to have had several builds done. I think my favorite build (doesn't necessarily mean my favorite guitar) was John Kinnaird's, the OOO Ziracote/Adk one with the curly ash neck and bindings, Most of the time, I think it is my prettiest guitar, but what made the build fun was the give and take of ideas with John, someone who loves woods every bit as much as I do. Others have done the same thing, I suppose, but John's enthusiasm for what we were creating was just exceptional. Totally responsive to my many notes and calls, ready to try new things, generous with pictures of the progress we were making.. it all added up to a fantastic experience. To be fair to the others who have since built for me (I am especially thinking of Mark Hatcher now), some were probably every bit as good at these things... only they weren't first.

(And, no, not all my guitars were built with me in mind, so don't go trying to read in something that isn't there.)
Sounds like a great experience!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:32 AM

My most rewarding build experience was the build of Miss Maple, which is "additionally" (for me) the best guitar I was allowed to play...
I learned lots and lots about guitar building by talking with Alexander about "other ways" and more unconventional approaches. and it headed to a just beautiful and deeply impressing instrument.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I had the opportunity to stop in and visit John Thomas and his guitars this past summer. He is a gracious host and his guitars are really really nice. The maple Walker, I think it was an SJ was one of the nicest guitars that I have ever played.

On the original subject, my build experience with John Slobod was also a good experience with a great result. I have another one coming up soon.

I have had a couple of guitars built by Steve Andersen. Way back in the days before the internet. That was also a good experience.

I had a baritone built by Lance McCollum. I won't speak ill of somone that has passed on but he was a very temperamental guy.

Had a harp guitar extensively modified by Kathy Wingert. That project was delayed many times but Kathy kept in touch and the end result was better than I had hoped.

The secret for every commission is patience and communications on both sides of the transaction.

Also had a harp guitar built by Tony Karol, that was a great experience.

And a baritone built by Trevor Kronbauer, another good experience and the most bang for your buck of any builder that I know of.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Musical minimalist

Most rewarding was almost the longest and hardest. I won a guitar in a contest on May 31, 2009 to be built by 4 different builders.

A year and a half went by and nothing happened.

One of the builders was a dear friend of mine and we were both beside ourselves.

We both kept pushing the issue and eventually it happened with my friend doing most of the work on this instrument in a very short time (like 2 months total in two segments - the guitar body was also in Vancouver for over a year and nothing was done to it)

So, it took just a little over 4 years, but when it was finished it was spectacular and this builder and his wife went from being great friends to the kind you have a bond with that is lifelong.

Here we are together on the day they drove 4 hours one way to bring me a "loaner" instrument because they felt so bad about not being able to deliver on the contest guitar. How is that for kindness?

And another shot of us together on the day it was done.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg upclosebetter.jpg (73.5 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg lonecone2.jpg (43.3 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by fitness1; 12-29-2017 at 09:28 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop