The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-20-2016, 07:12 PM

Default Strings

I haven't been able to use the search function very well on the AGF, so sorry if this has already been covered. Do you all use flatwounds on your archtops? I was going to try a set of these on my soon to be converted archtop.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:25 AM

That depends a bit on what type of archtop you are using. On a purely acoustic archtop, the "tradition" is to use round wound strings, typically bronze or phosphor-bronze and quite a heavy gauge, possibly 13-56 or higher. The same can be used on an electric archtop but it is here that flatwounds are more commonly seen, coupled with lower string gauges. Flatwounds on a carved top acoustic will sound a bit dead.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:28 AM

A number of folks seem to be giving very positive feedback regarding the Martin Retros on their acoustic archtops. These are a nickel alloy, I think. I really like them on my new Epiphone and my old es125. 11 52 on the es125 and 12 54 on the little Olympic. The 13's might sound a bit more traditionally archtop-ish. I may have to try them on my next string change. Monels may actually be a more traditional string material going back to the hey day of the acoustic archtop. They seem to last forever too.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:43 AM

The best sound I found on my acoustic archtop are with Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze strings. Lots of people advocate for the heavy gauge strings, I prefer lighter gauge strings because I find they have a more open tone when playing somewhat lightly. Heavy gauge strings choke my guitar down and it doesn't respond well. If I played with a heavy touch I might have a different opinion.

Brian
Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM

I have tried flatwounds on my Kingpin, but I think round wounds sound better on this plywood guitar. I've been using Martin Retros on it. I don't think there is anything special tone wise about them other that they are like a "pure nickle string for electric guitars" The plus for the monel is that they are corrosion resistant and really do last a long time, especially if you like your strings sounding broken in. They work just fine unplugged or through the P90 on my Kingpin.

For plugged in sounds using flat wounds I like the Rotosound Top Tape monel strings. They let me dip into flat wound territory with my Stratocaster without being too costly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops