The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 AM

Hi,
i just got my SLG 200N a few days ago. It has no firmware bug and Iīm quit happy with it so far.
I really like the almost natural tone when the mic is at 100 %. When you play and record through a yamaha THR5A it even becomes more natural when you choose the nylon mic option.

If you like you may listen to a piece i recorded with the slg and the thr5a:

Old 09-23-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
Hi,
i just got my SLG 200N a few days ago. It has no firmware bug and Iīm quit happy with it so far.
I really like the almost natural tone when the mic is at 100 %. When you play and record through a yamaha THR5A it even becomes more natural when you choose the nylon mic option.

If you like you may listen to a piece i recorded with the slg and the thr5a:

couldn't get any volume on that sample. Is it comfortable to hold? What before I google it is a THR5A? I'm really low tech but I want to record something and I think it would be better to bypass the whole acoustic guitar and mic. All I have is a laptop.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:54 AM

Quote:
couldn't get any volume on that sample. Is it comfortable to hold? What before I google it is a THR5A? I'm really low tech but I want to record something and I think it would be better to bypass the whole acoustic guitar and mic. All I have is a laptop.
Hi,
hereīs the yt link if the audio didnīt work for you:
https://youtu.be/cnYWjasjTmk

The THR5a is a small acoustic amp from Yamaha, that you can use also for recording with its usb connection and itīs recording software.
IMHO the slg is quite comfortable to hold and to play.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:55 AM

I got it, just forgot that my headphones were plugged in but not wearing. Just listened to it. What a nice way to start my Saturday morning. So If I have the electric guitar, and I plug it in to the thr device then I take that device and plug it into my computer and then will there be software that makes a sound file?
I need something I can just leave on when I'm playing and if something good comes out I can just keep playing without setting everything up and making me nervous. And maybe do some double tracking. That is why the yamaha looks like it would work for me.
at anyrate, cool music, classy website.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
I got it, just forgot that my headphones were plugged in but not wearing. Just listened to it. What a nice way to start my Saturday morning. So If I have the electric guitar, and I plug it in to the thr device then I take that device and plug it into my computer and then will there be software that makes a sound file?
Yes, but first you need to install the software (comes with the thr) and make the correct settings there. Itīs not just plug and play and record.
Quote:
I need something I can just leave on when I'm playing and if something good comes out I can just keep playing without setting everything up and making me nervous.
I donīt understand what you mean.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre.g View Post
Yes, but first you need to install the software (comes with the thr) and make the correct settings there. Itīs not just plug and play and record.

I donīt understand what you mean.
in the old days, tape was expensive. Digital is cheap so I should be able to just flip on the record button and forget about it. Even when I am tuning, and then if I come up with an idea I like I can go back and edit it and make that little part of my daily jam a separate file with a title and everything. also, how do you think a CEC would work with that Yamaha thr?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:42 AM

If you`ve done your settings with the software you can hit the record button in the software and proceed as you wrote.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:03 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Is anybody gigging one of these?

Thanks

hunter
Yes I gig my SLG200s every week I have found it really addictive. I find I'm getting 24 hours use out of each battery change . The 200s really excels at solo fingerstyle use and I use it weekly during church worship . The amp I use is a AER Compact 60 and the results are first class . I've got to be honest for the money these are a really good value well finished and constructed guitar , yes it gets used a lot at 05.00 in the morning but I'm not complaining lol
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimeblues View Post
Where did you get your great finger rest ( scratchplate from ? )
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-25-2016, 11:49 AM

for playing alone do you just plug in headphones directly into the guitar?
Old 09-25-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Where did you get your great finger rest ( scratchplate from ? )
From a german artist.

Quote:
for playing alone do you just plug in headphones directly into the guitar?
Yes.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:46 PM

Is it more responsive in the high register due to the pickup? In otherwords, like on an electric you can play with just the left hand up high whereas on an acoustic nylon press down up high and no sound.
I'm getting pretty close
Old 01-02-2017, 03:05 PM

After playing the SLG for a few months now (since last summer) I can say that I absolutely love the instrument. I love the feel, the sound, the look etc...

The only thing that I was little dissapointed with was the recording setup. I don't know why I expected this, but I thought that I would be able to just plug it into a computer and hit record. I've come to realize that you need some kind of preamp first. Now that I've read a bit more about d.i. Setups this seems obvious.

So a question I have... Without going to expensive... I.e I don't want to buy the thr, even though I know the sound is awesome.... How can I record silently? Let me give you my expectation, and tell me if this is possible... So, I get up in the morning, my family's sleeping and I want to record a few seconds/minutes of music quickly before the hustle and bustle of the day begins. How can this be done fairly cheaply? Is there any $50 to $100 dollar range fix?

I have recorded using iRig and a fairly good condenser mic in front of my amp. I like the sound, but the setup alone for this takes a bit (take out amp, setup mic, do sound check etc...) and I can't do this during my regular practice time which is early in the morning as the amp is on.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:16 PM

I plug mine into a Zoom G3 and from there to my laptop via usb. I got my G3 at Goodwill for $50.

I've used my THR 10 as well with good results.

The THR 5A can be had for less than $150 used, maybe for $100 if you get lucky.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:14 PM

So I just bought a SLG 200N. I like it a lot, but it is a very noisy. Here is a short track, recorded directly.
There is the same noise when I plug it into my acoustic amp
https://soundcloud.com/themonkbythes...-noise/s-JiLfz

Any suggestions?

Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical