The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
BOOM! DONE!....now I'm taking day off or so, but will make some comments and things about what we've done, in the mean time I encourage anyone to participate in this anyway they see fit....rewrites, changes and such, or just to talk about the/their process...

anyways Bob I hope that this exercise was somehow helpful and that it may be helpful in any future songs or poetry you write...
Thanks. I think probably the most helpful thing was that it forced me to do the work which is something I somewhat alluded to in my original post.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:50 AM

So anyway, I'll post my final thoughts on all this.

Some things i would say about songwriting is that first, there is no wrong or right way to do/approach it, it's kinda a what ever works kinda thing and often times one will use multiple approaches.

Again this exercise is much more geared towards just writing, by no means would this need to be put to music.

the real challenge with this style of writing is to do just what we have done, come up with lyrics first, then the challenge becomes putting these words over some chords and finding a melody in the words and chords you have chosen.

or sometimes you may already have some music, but need some lyrics to make a complete song, but just have writers block, well this "pick a topic" after that come up with a quick story around it, and then just go is a way to get started...by setting sytax rules related to verses and chorus, amounts of lines and such, you give yourself a structure that sets up "mini goal setting" can I make it to the next part? I just need one more line, that sort of thing

There are many styles an approaches to writing lyrics and prose, many good ideas can be had from looking to the past and all the many great writers that came before, known and unknown Sometimes just reading a good line can give you an idea

I do feel the best songs are natural acts of inspiration that seem to come from nowhere where a large body of the song just comes in a flash and not lots of work needs to be put into it, it just happens.

So, some about what we did and how it could be elaborated on.

So what do the lyrics make us "feel" well the horse theme obviously steers us to the "country western" genre, so a country style "rawhide" "ghost riders in the night" kinda vibe starts to emerge form the content., but it doesn''t have to be, we could make variations on the horse theme, with different names we could perhaps turn it into knights of the round table vibe that could have "celtic" style music, or maybe a hevey metal vibe, or perhaps a spanish horse theme, with "El Jacko" where we could have the gypsy kings vibe music to go with the lyrics.

When it come down to it your imagination will always be your best friend when it comes to songwriting, that's the best advice I could give anyone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write