The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2004, 02:35 PM

Default Recording Question -> Connecting Mixer to PC

Some recent threads have peaked my interest in Home Recording onto my PC - I've got the sound card, and some software to tinker with, but I've got a big (and seemingly simple) question...

How do I best hook up my 4-Channel Mackie Mixer to my PC's Audio-In port?

Should I use an RCA-to-1/8 adapter and use the Tape Out? Or use another line out of the mixer into the PC? Would really appreciate feedback on this. The mixer, if it helps, is a Mackie DFX-6, so that would make it 6-channels - my bad.

I promise to post my first listenable project here!

Thanks in advance!
Andy
Old 04-14-2004, 04:41 PM

I have a mackie dfx-12.

when I've used it to record to a single 1/8" stereo in (soundcard), I've used a Y-cable: 2-1/4" out of the main outs into the single 1/8" stereo line-in (never use the mic-in, always the line-in). you may have to buy a y-cable with 2-1/4" L-R mono and one 1/4" Stereo and use a 1/4" stereo-to-1/8" stereo adapter (radio shack).

I've also just used the tape outs to the soundcard stereo input with a 2-RCA to stereo 1/8" cable. either will work but I think the main outs on the dfx mixers sounds best. But I have no data to back that up, just a hunch.

hope that helps..

check out this board:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs
Old 04-14-2004, 07:38 PM

Tape outs sound like the right choice. Use whatever adaptors you need to get from L&R or 1&2 tape out into the stereo mini plug on the sound card. Then you might have to experiment with levels.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:27 PM

Great info - thanks! The Homerecording BBS site could keep me busy reading for months - awesome stuff!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:35 AM

I used the DFX-6 for a long time! You should get a soundcard that has 1/4" inputs. then you can use two stereo cables, and go from the LEFT and RIGHT Main 1/4" outs on the Mackie into the soundcard.. I was using the Echo Mia soundcard. Not too expensive, and works great! You can use the tape outs into the 1/8" adapter, but trust me, your recordings wont be as good! There is a world of difference using the Tape outs > 1/8" compared to the 1/4" Main Outs into the 1/4" sound card! I used the Tape out for a long time, until I understood how to record the other way. Also, the Echo Mia has two 1/4" outs too, so if you could run out into monitors if you want! Now all I use is a Tascam US-122.. Plug into USB and your set. It bypasses a sound card. My recordings sound even better now, IMO.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-16-2004, 04:22 PM

I think am going to run the Mackie, and Tascam together, and get a pair of monitors! That way I can use the Monitors as an amp, and actually hear the file (with effects) that I am recording. Should work out well I think!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 04-16-2004, 09:43 PM

Chad - thanks for the info and ideas - it's midnight Friday and I'm geeking out loading up my PC for some recording ;-).

The Tascam US-122 looks like the way to go.

BTW - I loved the soundclips from your site - if interested in trading e-mails offline with a curious fingerstyle/recording newbie, shoot me something at [email protected] (drop the 'nospam')

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fngrstyl
I used the DFX-6 for a long time! You should get a soundcard that has 1/4" inputs. then you can use two stereo cables, and go from the LEFT and RIGHT Main 1/4" outs on the Mackie into the soundcard.. I was using the Echo Mia soundcard. Not too expensive, and works great! You can use the tape outs into the 1/8" adapter, but trust me, your recordings wont be as good! There is a world of difference using the Tape outs > 1/8" compared to the 1/4" Main Outs into the 1/4" sound card! I used the Tape out for a long time, until I understood how to record the other way. {snip...}
Another cool way to go is something the Mackie 1402 has... there is an Alt-3-4 out on the back of the mixer -- it allows you to send any channel that has the Mute (/Alt 3-4) button engaged. It's a cool design feature that puts the mute circuitry to work in a useful way. This way, you can have all the playback you want to your headphones -- including the channel(s) you are recording (by including the Alt 3-4 in the Control Room source array), and yet just send the Alt- 3-4 stuff back to the PC. Before using this approach, I was having to jump through hoops to get playback/source in the headphones and send the right stuff back to the PC)

Very cool stuff -- I appreciate the heck outta that 1402...

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification