The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2015, 12:04 PM

Default Strings and pickup for new D-18

For Fathers Day, I bought myself a 2012 Martin D-18. Woo hoo!

Two questions...

1. Which strings are the best for it?
2. Which pickup should I use, if it would be used for solo gigs AND full band gigs?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Hey Jerry,

I am full time musician; solo acoustic playing folk/reggae/rock and I use a '14 D-18 with a Baggs M80. I use John Pearse 600L's on all my guitars and have been using Fishman Amps, mainly two Loudbox Performers, but also have an Artist & Mini for smaller venues/recording and such.

The M80 is a great match for the D18's natural eq/signature so to speak and its features of being lightweight, noiseless, adjustable poles, batttery indicator, and the ability to switch from active to passive are all condusive for what I need as well as playing at higher volumes with minimal feedback issues. It almost acts like a dual source pickup and since I use a bit of percussive playing in my shows, it is nice for that too, although you have to adjust your technique when using a pick as to not hit the pickup because it will pick up that click. It is wonderful for fingerstyle too. I tried several pickups and I'm happy with the M80 & tho my stays in full-time, it's nice to be able to remove it quickly & not have to drill holes. I also don't notice it changing the sound of the guitar whether it's in or out.

I like the looks of it too...Hope my experience is helpful, best wishes and congrats on such a fine instrument.

eric

here's a couple recent pics:

Old 06-21-2015, 12:51 PM

I use martin msp 4200s on my 2012 d18. Tried different types when I got the guitar but these strings get the job done and they don't cost much. Figure about 6 bucks a set and change em as needed.

As for pups thats a whole story. I'm using a kk on one of my other guitars and will prolly put same into the the d18 and hd35 when I get around to it.

Running the guitars through a Traynor AM Custom 225 which lays it down real good for what I do.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

I can't address the pickup question, but my favorite strings for a dread are the Martin M545 PB medium-lights...
Old 06-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

I have aBaggs Lyric in my D-18 but also like the McIntyre Feather (GF-30) passive SBT and the JJB-330 Passive SBT. For strings I use John Pearse PB or D'Addario PB. Occasionally Martin SP?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Don't know for sure but I bet they recommend Martin SP.

Well well, here you go

Recommended Strings: Martin Studio Performance Lifespan Phosphor Bronze Medium Gauge (MSP7200)
Old 06-21-2015, 01:18 PM

I've had LR Baggs Anthems and Anthem SL's (both are very nice, btw) but for a no-muss, no-fuss solution, I prefer the K&K Pure Western Mini. Not too expensive and can't go wrong with it.

And I prefer straight up Phosphor Bronze D'Addarios (EJ16), less than six bucks a set if you buy a 3 pack. Change when needed.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:37 PM

For my 2102 D-18, I like Martin MSP7200 Lifespan SP's (medium gauge) phosphor bronze strings.

Currently, I have a Fishman Matrix UST installed, but I have never liked the sound it produces on the Martin D-18 ... eventually I will replace it.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 06-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

For a Martin Spruce/Mahogany Dread, my current choices would be:
Strings: GHS Signature Bronze
Pickup: D-Tar Wavelength + Fishman Aura Spectrum

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 06-21-2015, 03:55 PM

All of my acoustics are equipped with K&K Pure Mini pups. I've tried a bunch of different pickups, but these are my favs. Usually play through a Fishman Performer amp.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:19 PM

I use Daddario EJ17 phosphor bronze. Perfect strings to my ear.

I love the K&K pure mini. Fantastic pickup that requires very little in the way of eq. I use an Ultrasound DI that gives me a little bit of tweak-ability, but I run it nearly flat. Sounds great!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:35 PM

Martin SP's of course.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:31 PM

I have a D 35 but I put an LR Baggs LYRIC in it ... WOW! I also use Elixir Nano PB Med-light.. good mix. Don't know if it matters but I also run through a BOSE L1 Compact with the Tonematch mixer.
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 06-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

For strings on mine I like D'Addario EXP-16s -- coated, but colorful. The LifeSpans are also very good with this guitar.

I have a Baggs Lyric in it, which sounds great, but I miss some of the bass. I like the K&K in my 000-18GE, so will probably put that in the D-18 that I have on order from the Custom Shop.
My guitars include Gibsons, Martins, Fenders, and others
Old 06-22-2015, 03:08 PM

I don't currently own a Martin D-18, but when I did I put John Pearse medium gauge phosphor bronze strings on it. If I had one right now I'd also try the JP phosphor bluegrass gauge on it, which has light gauge trebles and medium gauge basses.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion