The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-27-2007, 05:59 PM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default Takamine Truss Rods

I have a Tak EG-544C, with the truss rod adjustment right inside the sound hole. Which direction removes relief and which adds relief to the neck? Assume I am working with the body of the guitar closer to me and the neck extending away from me.

I thought that turning clockwise (meaning L to R) would add relief and allow the neck to move upwards towards the face of the guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-27-2007, 06:04 PM
RustyAxe RustyAxe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
I have a Tak EG-544C, with the truss rod adjustment right inside the sound hole. Which direction removes relief and which adds relief to the neck? Assume I am working with the body of the guitar closer to me and the neck extending away from me.

I thought that turning clockwise (meaning L to R) would add relief and allow the neck to move upwards towards the face of the guitar.
Post your question in the Tak forum ... http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/ ... one of the Tak insiders frequents it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-27-2007, 06:13 PM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Post your question in the Tak forum ... http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/ ... one of the Tak insiders frequents it.
Thanks. If anyone still has the answer to my question, please post a reply. It looks like it is going to take a little time to activate my new account at the Tak forum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Guitslinger Guitslinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
Thanks. If anyone still has the answer to my question, please post a reply. It looks like it is going to take a little time to activate my new account at the Tak forum
The required allen wrench is 5mm. With the wrench inserted in the trussrod nut, turn the trussrod nut clockwise, left to right, in order to straighten neck and reduce the amount of relief.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitslinger View Post
The required allen wrench is 5mm. With the wrench inserted in the trussrod nut, turn the trussrod nut clockwise, left to right, in order to straighten neck and reduce the amount of relief.
With what you have described, that would lower the action, correct? I think with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to go counterclockwise to raise the action a bit, and add relief

Correct?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 PM
leeasam leeasam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Decorah , Iowa
Posts: 4,537
Default

is the buzzing you are experiencing in the lower 7 fretts or in the upper area. if higher than like 6th or 7th then truss rod will not take care of this. Saddle hieght (action) is too low. If you are buzzing or rattling strings easy as I call it on the lower fretts then loosening the truss rod can help. just loosen enough to rid of the buzz. relief in a neck should not be much at all. Fret 1 fret and 14th at same time and gap from string to top of 7th fret wire should be about a bussines card thickness. if you need more than that you need a good frett level.
__________________
2010 Taylor 816CE
2012 PRS P22 Black Gold Wrap Around.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 AM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeasam View Post
is the buzzing you are experiencing in the lower 7 fretts or in the upper area. if higher than like 6th or 7th then truss rod will not take care of this. Saddle hieght (action) is too low. If you are buzzing or rattling strings easy as I call it on the lower fretts then loosening the truss rod can help. just loosen enough to rid of the buzz. relief in a neck should not be much at all. Fret 1 fret and 14th at same time and gap from string to top of 7th fret wire should be about a bussines card thickness. if you need more than that you need a good frett level.
The buzz is on the open strings, and the first few frets only. Capoing the first fret does not eliminate it, so I don't think it is the nut. I also put one shim under the saddle, which also did nothing. The truss rod seems to be the next thing on my checklist.

I fretted the 1st and 14th frets, and the gap is pretty much minimal, almost touching the fret wire.

I just want confirmation. If I want to try to deal with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to turn the truss rod counterclockwise to raise the action and add relief. Correct?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Guitslinger Guitslinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
With what you have described, that would lower the action, correct? I think with the buzz I am experiencing, I want to go counterclockwise to raise the action a bit, and add relief

Correct?
Correct. Open strings buzzing on the first few frets is a sign of too little relief.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
ljguitar's Avatar
ljguitar ljguitar is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: wyoming
Posts: 36,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
...I want to turn the truss rod counterclockwise to raise the action and add relief. Correct?
Hi TJ...
Correct. Loosen up (R to L) - Tighten Down (L to R)
__________________
Larry J

Baby #01
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Full-size Full-Scale Baby #4

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued till a discussion turns silent doesn't mean you have convinced anyone…
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default

Just did the adjustment. It actually took about three 1/8 turns, but it finally looks like it has a small gap now at the 7th fret when the 1st and 14th are fretted. There is still a small buzz, but I actually like just a little.

FYI, 5 mm Allen Wrench was incorrect, but I eventually figured out that 3/16 was the correct one.

Thanks to all who helped me out
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Guitslinger Guitslinger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJagwar View Post
FYI, 5 mm Allen Wrench was incorrect, but I eventually figured out that 3/16 was the correct one.
The standard trussrod nut size for Takamines is 5mm, but evidently a batch of trussrods with 3/16" nuts on them were delivered to the factory, and installed without being caught by the setup crew--you got one of them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
Bruce E Bruce E is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Jenison Michigan
Posts: 729
Default

The adjustment rod in my Tak uses a 3/16" hex wrench also. It is one of the old "lawsuit" copies of a Martin.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2007, 11:33 PM
TJagwar TJagwar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 201
Default

Here is a new wrinkle. I played the guitar tonight at my gig, and noticed that strings 1-3 had decidedly lower volume than strings 4-6.

I'm guessing that when I worked on the saddle, that maybe I didn't seat it correctly in the slot?

(it has the one piece pickup/saddle)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=