The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 PM

Hi Cotten
Certainly I tried it against Taylors and Martins. Also Garrisons, Freshmans, Epiphone, S&P, Certainly for the ££ it was comparitable to the £2k instruments I compared. (In trying many I didn't find one example that was duff!!) Mine was just over one third of the compared prices! I know it is all subjective but to me it fulfills all my requirements. Don't be worried about the build or quality in general- people with problems tend to share their experiences/concerns but I've yet to come across any.

I'm happy to say that I would vouch for it. Again look at the web site- an interesting development and story of a luthier stepping out from behing the Curtain!

Neal
Takamine EN40C
Epiphone Lucille
Fender Stratocaster Ash Delux
Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster
Squire Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass
Very Content
Old 06-05-2007, 04:04 PM

Thumbs up

For a luthier to be in business for 26 years, craft guitars, mandolins and acoustic basses with the build quality that Frantisek Furch does..it would be ludicrous to think that "green wood" is used.

I bought the Furch at a local music store and the 2 Stonebridges on the web, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Stonebridge on the internet. The quality is consistent, and the dealers I bought them through were as enthusiastic for these instruments as I am. "Where did you hear about these guitars" and "people who come in and play them are blown away" are usually the first parts of the conversation. They see more action than any of my other acoustics, including the Martin J-40 in the pic with my D34.

A little tough to find in USA, but Smoky Mountain Guitar and Sylvan Music are the 2 dealers that I bought from, and both were pleasant and professional to deal with. They're worth taking a look at. And no, I don't work for them, just a satisfied picker.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Neal, your vote of confidence, and that of others, is enough to convince me that this is one that I shouldn't pass up the chance to dance with. I look forward to the opportunity!

cotten
Old 06-06-2007, 07:38 AM

I just played the Stonebridge OM 32 sitka mahogany and I thought it was was one of the best guitars I had ever tried in any price range, the only other mahogany OM I liked as much was Collings OM1A which was nearly a couple of thousand pounds more expensive. The build was excellent and it was a dream to play, I am saving for one right now!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM

Smile If Stonebridge is same as Furch,

I know and love their sound already many years. Especially I always wonder at stores, that Furch guitars are all, 100% good ones. You have to search among tens of Martins, to find real one, but I never played poor sounding Furch. So, it's a bit funny to read here how Czech masters can now make 'American national instruments'. Hey, they made guitars in 18..., (and Dobro was invented by Czech immigrant) and I always thought that 'American national instruments' are made by Indians and were not guitars.
Hope that good and friendly rivalry is what we players really need to get larger
assortment of really great guitars.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Craigster59: nice guitars! And thanks for the link.

Elfina: thanks for your comment. Let us know your impressions and some pictures when you will find the one!

Regarding quality, i never read any negative review or comment about Furch/Stonebridge guitars. They are certainely well constructed and very solid. I inspected mine inside with a mirror and it's top nouch. No glue residue, nice joints, solid and nicely sanded braces, ... etc. And the top wood and solid mahogany are high grade, perfectly quatersawn too. After so many years in business and such a reputation i don't see why we someone consider these guitars "inferior" in any way.

Regarding the tone, i choosed this one after trying several much more expensive guitars, and although they were all grat guitars, the Stonebridge voice and punch stood out of the crowd, at least to my ears.

Regards
Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion