The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Default String Gauges

Hello all, I have loads of question about strings, basic their numbers.

I'd like to know what is main difference between 0,10; 0,11; 0,12; 0,13 etc, and what light, extra light, medium means. Is there a huge difference in the sound and playability ?

That all because I bought a Taylor 314ce and changed its strings to 0,10; but its still in the luthier so I haven't played it yet. But recently I looked in the internet and the model comes with Elixit 0,12 strings, but in the Elixir document that I got when bought the guitar said that it came with 0,10; so I'm a bit confused, the Taylor 314ce comes with Elixir 0.10 or 12 ? Is there a big difference between these two, consider that I don't bother putting more force while doing bends, and if I change them, do I need to do a trust rod adjustment ? Thanks very much
Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar View Post
Hello all, I have loads of question about strings, basic their numbers.

I'd like to know what is main difference between 0,10; 0,11; 0,12; 0,13 etc, and what light, extra light, medium means. Is there a huge difference in the sound and playability ?

That all because I bought a Taylor 314ce and changed its strings to 0,10; but its still in the luthier so I haven't played it yet. But recently I looked in the internet and the model comes with Elixit 0,12 strings, but in the Elixir document that I got when bought the guitar said that it came with 0,10; so I'm a bit confused, the Taylor 314ce comes with Elixir 0.10 or 12 ? Is there a big difference between these two, consider that I don't bother putting more force while doing bends, and if I change them, do I need to do a trust rod adjustment ? Thanks very much
Typically, string gauges are defined as follows: 0.010 = extra light, 0.011 = custom light, 0.012 = light, 0.013 = mediuim. This is the terminology used by major string manufacturers such as D'Addario, Martin, Elixir, etc. The Taylor 314ce comes from the factory with Elixir lights (0.012's).

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/314ce

If you put on a lighter gauge such as 0.010 or 0.011, the strings will be easier to press down and bend, but you might lose some volume and bass response. Generally, lighter gauge strings are easier to play but sound "thinner". Your Taylor was set up at the factory for 0.012's. If you change to 0.010's or 0.011's, you might need a slight truss rod adjustment due to the lower string tension.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 08-20-2012, 10:33 PM

Default The lower the number, the lighter the string

I would not put a 10 set on a Taylor, especially if it is new. The lack of tension will not really give the soundboard a good shake, and that is what is required to produce tone.

I would recommend 12's on your guitar.

There are many fine brands of string. Elixirs are excellent, but they are not my favorite. But many on this forum love them.

If you try Martin light gauge phosphor bronze - either plain or the SP variety - your guitar will sound great.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 AM

Default Strings

I Have likely used almost every string on the market or very near ...over all these years . recently came across of all things DUNLOP 11-52's - before that I was Trying DR 11-50s and still have a few packages im trying to use up , but was shocked when i put a set of the 11-52's on. the G string is a 22 gauge. A similar martin SP set had a 23 gauge G string and sounded terrible . these Dunlops dont even sound like 11's , They sound like 12's but are very well balanced and very easy to play . Less Tension makes them Vibrate Slower and move the soundboard MORE than 12's - in my opinion . These are the ONLY Strings I'll use now and are not expensive. youtube has a vid of their ultra modern string factory . I am quite impressed. Best kept string secret these days, are inexpensive. They have a great product .
Old 08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMason View Post
I would not put a 10 set on a Taylor, especially if it is new. The lack of tension will not really give the soundboard a good shake, and that is what is required to produce tone.

I would recommend 12's on your guitar.

There are many fine brands of string. Elixirs are excellent, but they are not my favorite. But many on this forum love them.

If you try Martin light gauge phosphor bronze - either plain or the SP variety - your guitar will sound great.
I would also recommend sticking with 12's, but if you want a lighter gauge you could drop down to 11's without sacrificing much tone. I would not put 10's on a 314ce.

+1 for Martin SP phos bronze. They sound great and last long for uncoated strings. DR Rares are also good. DR uses different terminology for their strings. They call 11's Medium/Lite and 12's Medium. If you prefer a coated string, I recommend Elixir phos bronze.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 08-21-2012, 01:55 PM
I know that one

To answer your first question - "the main difference between 0,10; 0,11; 0,12; 0,13 etc." - guitar guages refer to thousands of an inch in diameter thus the high E string of an extra light set is typically 0.010 inches or 10 thousands of an inch in diameter. As a rule, heavier strings give a fuller guitar sound, but are harder on the fingers for beginners and are more difficult to bend when playing lead. Lighter guitar strings are easier to fret, better for expressive bends, slides and vibrato effects... but they give a slightly thinner sound, less sustain and break more easily. It's not that simple, however, as there are many variables in guitar strings not just the thickness of the first string. Most major string brands have a range that allows you to match the top and bottom strings to suit your style. As others have mentioned the Taylor 314 comes from the factory with 12s.The best thing to do is experiment with different string guages and brands to find what you like best and have fun doing it.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
I Have likely used almost every string on the market or very near ...over all these years . recently came across of all things DUNLOP 11-52's - before that I was Trying DR 11-50s and still have a few packages im trying to use up , but was shocked when i put a set of the 11-52's on. the G string is a 22 gauge. A similar martin SP set had a 23 gauge G string and sounded terrible . these Dunlops dont even sound like 11's , They sound like 12's but are very well balanced and very easy to play . Less Tension makes them Vibrate Slower and move the soundboard MORE than 12's - in my opinion . These are the ONLY Strings I'll use now and are not expensive. youtube has a vid of their ultra modern string factory . I am quite impressed. Best kept string secret these days, are inexpensive. They have a great product .
Well, I might as well dive in with my first post. It's interesting you mentioned this because after years of using D'Addario 12's on all my acoustics, I tried the Dunlop 11-52's at a friend's recommendation. All I can say is wow! I noticed no volume loss, and I like the tone and feel better than the D'Addarios. Great strings, IMO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion