The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Eric Skye

Default SR Technology Amps?

So has anyone ever used or owned one of these guys? After a lot of thought I finally went into a local music store today, cash in hand, to buy the Soloamp. Right next to it they had this http://www.sr-amps.com/jam150.html on a speaker stand. An amp I’ve never heard of, whoa.

Since I was considering the Soloamp for live miking of my guitar, the guy was nice enough to set up a Rode NT5 condenser mic on a stand and let me use a few nice Martins to try both amps out.

I left with neither, but I’m going back tomorrow with my mic and own guitar and I’m coming home with one. I thought they both were great.

They were exactly the same price, and both worked great with the mic. Nice, big, full detailed sound. The Soloamp was ever so slightly more boxy sounding in the lower mids... The reverb on the AR was pretty darn nice. It also looked and felt more like a high end amp. I like the size, the wood... it also has two channels with phantom... I guess I’m kinda leaning towards this SR... I don’t know.... It’s got just about everything I’ve ever wanted in an acoustic amp... but I’ve never heard of it before..
Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 PM

The Soloamp attempts to do something different than a conventional amp. It uses (some degree or sort of) line array technology to change the dispersion pattern, thereby filling the room more evenly with sound.

So you might want to try listening to both systems from some distance while someone else plays.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-13-2009, 07:09 PM

SR's are pretty much Schertlers (I tried to get on over at the Acoustic Guitar Forum to post when I saw your post over there)
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 05-07-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
So you might want to try listening to both systems from some distance while someone else plays.
Fran
Thanks Fran. I did have the sales guy play into the mic and I stoop back various distances. It was pretty close. I’m looking forward t trying again tomorrow with my guitar and mic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
AR's are pretty much Schertlers ..
Are they related as a company? I did notice it looked a lot like a Schertler. But a close friend of mine has a Unico, and I like it a lot, but this thing sounded better to me. Certainly much nicer reverb. I’m not crazy about the Schertler’s springs. On the other hand I don;t usually use reverb so maybe that’s moot...
Old 04-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Seems I read read something about the 2 companies a while back...
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 04-13-2009, 11:49 PM

Default sr technology/reso acoustic 400

hey just wanted to let you know that i too heard they make schertler amps. i just sold my schertler unico and bought the bob brozman/sr technology reso 400. i should have it in about 5 days. ive heard it sounds way better than the bose or the fishman. i have had both and the fishman does not put out the volume that the bose does. i played with the fishman last thursday while waiting for my brozman. anyhow the fishman sounded boxy. in fact i like the schertler unico, the aer domino, the bose l1/l2, and the aer compact 60 better than the fishman. i will try to post a review of the sr reso acoustic when i get it. bob brozman has been fantastic to work with and i think he is a bit of a guitar player. just kidding he is absolutely incredible and super cool too. if you buy it directly from his site they are 1750. it looks like a total pa system in one box. for a gigging musician it looks like heaven. we shall see.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by playhardandloud View Post
...just sold my schertler unico and bought the bob brozman/sr technology reso 400. i should have it in about 5 days. ive heard it sounds way better than the bose or the fishman. i have had both and the fishman does not put out the volume that the bose does. i played with the fishman last thursday while waiting for my brozman. anyhow the fishman sounded boxy. in fact i like the schertler unico, the aer domino, the bose l1/l2, and the aer compact 60 better than the fishman....

Congrats on the reso 400. That looks like a pretty amazing rig I noticed that on Bob’s site a while ago and just put it together yesterday that that’s where I’d seen SR before.

I think for me, that might be too much in terms of size, and probably money too. I also really need something to put on a stand. Most of my gigs are smaller things for under a hundred people, house concerts, etc, where often I could probably not use amplification at all...

I was very impressed with the soloamp and the SR Jam 150. Both are probably louder than I need. Since I only use a mic, there’s kind of ceiling on loud I can be anyway. I would disagree a little that the Fishman sounds boxy per say. I thought compared to the SR the lows were slightly boxy, but I thought both sounded pretty darn good. And I ran both 100% flat. I guess a lot depends on the guitar, mic, room too. I’ve had several AER’s, sometimes run at the same time... and I personally thought the Fishman sounded a lot better -but again it depends on what you’re doing with it. I don't think miking the guitar is the Compact 60’s strong suit, but it’s a heck of an amp with some pickups....
Old 04-14-2009, 08:19 AM

yes each application is different. i have played several house parties with the schertler and the aer and i thought the schertler was better for that. i am a singer strummer with pickups. i played an irish pub last thursday with the fishman and as much as i wanted to love it because of the ease of setup i just didnt. but i just switched from having the schertler as a monitor pointing directly at me, eaw powered speakers, etc, to the fishman solo. i want something that weighs 25 lbs to sound like a dave matthews show. aint gonna happen. anyhow im hoping the reso at 50lbs comes somewhere close. i will be using the compact 60 as a monitor so it should be pretty good. now if i only had more talent. oh well its all good fun. oh im going to put a stand mount on my reso. it will be a bit scary drilling into it but should work out nicely. for small house parties the compact 60, for larger ones the reso, for small pubs the reso behind on a stand, and for large pubs and outdoor stuff the reso with aer monitor. i have had about every pa imaginable in the quest for small vs amazing sound.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Hey Folks--

I have the Brozman system and describe my experiences in this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=152672

You may find it helpful.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

i got the brozman unit and it is quite honestly amazing. it is a bose killer and fishman isnt even in the same zip code. you will not believe your ears. i actually pole mounted mine. i cut down an ultimate stand and added a cup to the brozman. i have played indoor outdoor to crowds of 100 or so and it is just amazing. i bought a compact 60 to use as a monitor but havent needed it yet. i set the brozman which i call uncle bob behind me off to the side. it doesnt feed back even at volume and sounds far better than anything in one box. i have had the bose system model 1 and 2, the fishman solo, and larger very high end systems. the daedalus at 90lbs each, the eaw powered nt 29s, etc. i have owned the aer compact 60, domino, and the schertler unico. this unit is by far the best most versatile and portable unit of them all. contact bob at his site he is a great guy. it is half the cost of the bose. it would be a bit cooler if it had a pole mount, and the mixer portion on the back side instead of the top. then you could fly it higher and still tweak the sound a bit easier. im short. if anyone is in the tampa area i am playing obriens irish pub tomorrow night with it. you are welcome to join or solo or whatever makes you smile.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:18 PM

You are teasing me with this amp you know... It is really half the bucks of a Bose?? I thought it was closer than that... Pics of your set up??

Last edited by kramster; 05-07-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:32 AM

Default get one

i bought the bose model 2 with double bass and tone match for about 3200. the reso is about 1750 and there is no comparison. just amazing. its like daedalus meets bose. yes you read that right. its like daedalus meets bose. one box full pa system. tonight at a busy irish pub there was gear on the sides of the stage. qsc 15 inch speakers in the air left over from the band who played cinco de mayo. i asked the owner what he though of my new sound system. he said it looked like a lot to carry but sounded phenomenal. he thought i was playing through the qsc speakers. his jaw dropped when i told him it was the one box sitting slightly behind me. he got out of his chair and had to see for himself. i am very serious about high quality sound and this is the real deal. if bob brozman designed it you can be sure it is quality. earlier today i played through the new bose compact. cute unit but really. you cannot play anything other than a coffee shop with it. it is the bose answer to the fishman solo. I will try to post pics. Im playing a pool party on saturday afternoon. It is incredible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You are teasing me with this amp you know... It is really half the bucks of a Boooose?? I thought it was closer than that... Pics of your set up??
Old 05-08-2009, 12:09 PM

I thought "Uncle Bob" was more than that... nice.... true if I figure my Classic, 2 bass modules (one in the box NEVER opened for 2 yrs now) and the T1.... nice. Wish I could hear and try one. You get me all going about this amp as I could always use a good uncle.
Was that Daedulus meets Bose??
Pool party pics please, and get some of the amp!

Also with that much power it must have that "concert feel" presence even at low volume.... not sure how to describe that sound/feel sorry.

Last edited by kramster; 05-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:12 PM

I have to second playhardandloud on the Reso Acoustic 400. I've had one since September and have been really pleased withe results. I've had sound guys in different venues oohing and aahing over it.

I know a lot of people who love the Bose and Fishman as well. Cool. We are really lucky to be living in a time where so many advances have been made in acoustic amplification! We've got a great array of choices, don't we?
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM

That good for you too bayoubengal??
Should be good for keys and such too I suppose....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification