The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-20-2015, 11:10 AM

Default New Pick Options

I've been a fan of Papa's Faux Tortoise picks for a while. I like the shape (351-ish), the thickness (2 mm), and most of all, the great soft bevel on the edge. The tone has been everything I like for the last few years. And paying $10 per pick didn't bother me because I'm still using the first one I bought.

But recently one of my teachers mentioned the D'Andrea ProPlec and I decided to give it a try. At 1.5 mm, it was a little on the thin side but like any pick, using the broad shoulder of the pick warms up the tone considerably. And for this pick that shoulder has just an incredibly sweet tone. Very, very good tone for me. The bevel on this pick is the best I've seen in a mass produced plastic pick, and the price should silence doubters who don't like premium picks. I would really recommend this pick to other jazzers who like that fundamental forward, warm tone.

While I was at it I bought some Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm picks. They're good too, I like the material, but the bevel is not as good as the Pro Plec. For me, they are not quite as good as the ProPlec. Worth a try maybe, and they won't break the bank.

Papa's Faux Tortoise 2.2mm (H) ($10-20 apiece)
D'Andrea ProPlec 1.5mm ($7 for 12!)
Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm ($7 for 3)

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 AM

Dear moderator,

It looks like this thread has killed all discussion regarding archtops. Please feel free to delete it!

Kind regards,

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM

I dunno why you didn't get any replies so far but I appreciate your post and your positive review of both of these. I've been using a Wegen Dipper and I like it just fine but new picks are an easy (and inexpensive vs amps etc) way to experiment with tone. I'll hafta try 'em. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Always happy to join a pick discussion but not sure my experiences would be useful to archtop players as I only have flat tops. I tried Pro Plecs long time ago and set them aside as they weren't producing the volume i needed and were pretty flat tonally. I re-discovered them when I was re-beveling various picks as a test. With a speed bevel added, the Pro Plec's went from almost useless to stellar in terms of volume and tone. Probably the second biggest improvement of all I tried.

More recently tried the Prime Tones and they seemed promising but the embossing they used was just too much and made it feel uncomfortable. Later got some with a smooth finish and they were quite good. Probably about as good an out of the bag pick that you can get for a low price. I will probably re-bevel them as well and see if they get a bit better.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM

No archtops here either, but Pro Plecs are my faves. Tried celluloid, ultex, Tortex, nylon, a coin... All in varying thicknesses. I love the sound and feel of the Pro Plecs. I can go from super soft to loud with very little effort. Right now I'm using the rounded triangle, but just got a dozen of the jazz teardrop. They are smaller than I thought they'd be, LOL!

GSmini Mahogany~Rainsong WS1000 Ser# 4641
Emerald X7~Pono Mango Tenor Ukelele
Cordoba Acero D10
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM

My first choice's cost more they have a great payoff

Gary Wagners.......the best

Blue Chip the pro's love em too!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 AM

So.. the Papa's faux turtle picks are out of stock everywhere? Do they produce them in batches maybe?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
I've been a fan of Papa's Faux Tortoise picks for a while. I like the shape (351-ish), the thickness (2 mm), and most of all, the great soft bevel on the edge. The tone has been everything I like for the last few years. And paying $10 per pick didn't bother me because I'm still using the first one I bought.

But recently one of my teachers mentioned the D'Andrea ProPlec and I decided to give it a try. At 1.5 mm, it was a little on the thin side but like any pick, using the broad shoulder of the pick warms up the tone considerably. And for this pick that shoulder has just an incredibly sweet tone. Very, very good tone for me. The bevel on this pick is the best I've seen in a mass produced plastic pick, and the price should silence doubters who don't like premium picks. I would really recommend this pick to other jazzers who like that fundamental forward, warm tone.

While I was at it I bought some Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm picks. They're good too, I like the material, but the bevel is not as good as the Pro Plec. For me, they are not quite as good as the ProPlec. Worth a try maybe, and they won't break the bank.

Papa's Faux Tortoise 2.2mm (H) ($10-20 apiece)
D'Andrea ProPlec 1.5mm ($7 for 12!)
Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm ($7 for 3)
Hi Archtop guy,

We aren't ignoring you!

I'm primarily a flat-top guy but I do own a couple of acoustic archtops.
With a flat-top we (well most of us) are probably looking for good attack along with good bass and crisp trebles, whereas as most archtops (certainly my '34 L-7) has all the attack you'd ever need and needs to be driven pretty hard as it was designed as a chorded/rhythm/percussion box.

In other words I perceive that the kind of pick one would need for the two types of guitar might be quite different.

I have largely settled on Bluechip TAD50s (346 style triangles) but I've also found that Wegen TF140s are good in some instances and the new 1.5 m/m 346s work well for my 12 string because they have more attack.

the D'andrea Pro-plecs are too dull an attack for most things but I've found that they work well by rolling off the top of my National wooden body Estrellita which has all the treble bite you could wish for (and some).

I'm interested in the "Papa's Faux Tortoise" 2.2 m/m for , maybe archtop, maybe the National, or even for mando.

However they seem to be out of stock, as someone has said.

Seems to me that plectrums are always a balance between attack and bass/middle tone, and your requirements will depend on the tonal qualities of the instrument you are playing.

I am starting to perceive that modern versions of the L-5 style archtop are made to sound more open and less harsh than the originals. Do you agree?
Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 AM

Gary Wagner's are used by many pro's. They are the real deal! He has bought turn of the century brush's ans other item's that used real tort. He has turned them into picks that are the real deal. When asking two of most respected pro's that endorse Clue Chip then have admitted to me me th
ere pick of choice is one of Gary's. This link is mando related but his line of guitar pick's are all you would expect. I have four and every time I see him I will buy another so I have a life time supply!!!

http://www.marilynnmair.com/notes/20...-the-pick-guy/

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 08-25-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I'm primarily a flat-top guy but I do own a couple of acoustic archtops.
With a flat-top we (well most of us) are probably looking for good attack along with good bass and crisp trebles, whereas as most archtops (certainly my '34 L-7) has all the attack you'd ever need and needs to be driven pretty hard as it was designed as a chorded/rhythm/percussion box.

In other words I perceive that the kind of pick one would need for the two types of guitar might be quite different.
Hi Silly,

You know, the reason I posted a pick thread in the archtop section is because I know that the things I look for in a pick are quite different than what others look for, and my likes are shaped primarily by the kind of music I play and the kind of guitars I play. I think your take is mostly right: flattop players are looking for bass, those sweet high overtones, and perhaps attack. I'm looking for strong mids, balanced bass and treble, and control.

Even with my relatively settled taste in guitars, I sometimes find that one pick might be optimum of four-to-the-bar swing rhythm, another pick for chord melody, and another pick for solo lines. After a few weeks I'm still liking my ProPlec partly because by using the sharp or the soft corner I can tilt the sound toward the great driving rhythm sound or the softer attack chord melody sound.

Quote:
I am starting to perceive that modern versions of the L-5 style archtop are made to sound more open and less harsh than the originals. Do you agree?
Regarding old vs. new L-5 style, this is a BIG subject and I hardly know where to start. New thread maybe? Gross oversimplification to follow: In the world of acoustic archtops I see a spectrum of sound with the carved Gibsons and Epi's of the the 30's and 40's at one end and the later guitars of Jimmy D'Aquisto at the other end. The former are most known for their fast attack and great fit as a rhythm instrument, the latter are often said to have more balanced bass and treble and a smoother attack. There is absolutely no doubt that modern luthiers pull strongly toward the D'Aquisto end of the spectrum. I'm not an expert on modern Gibson's (my newest is a '77) but I suspect that you are right that they also have moved a little along the spectrum. Please share your experience if you know more the I do.

Cheers to all...

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll have to try the Papa Faux Tortoise. I have a few Dunlop Prime Tones (mine are 3mm and very pointed) and I do like them. They bring out a mellower tone from my archtop than some other picks.

My favorite by far though are Wegen. I use the GP 250, with is a double-beveled, smaller than standard sized pick that is 2.5mm thick. The bevels and the thumb and finger grips and grooves are unsurpassed in my opinion. At $10 a pick, they're not cheap, but like you, I've found that I am much less likely to lose an expensive pick.

Last edited by backdrifter; 08-27-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:53 PM

With so much love here for the Wegen's I decided to re-try them.

I have a "Dipper" shaped 1.8 mm pick. I really like the three different curves on the three corners and the texture and feel is very nice. To my ear they have a little more attack than my faves, more highs, especially on the plain strings but not as much on the wound strings. I could really like these for flatpicking on a dread, but less so for my current style.

Personal tastes, touch, style... everything is so important. If the Wegen's are your favorites then I can see that you might think my favorites lack bite and color. But it's so cool that we can shape our tone with these pretty low cost tools. (Plus out hands of course!)

Thanks, all.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archtop Guy View Post
Hi Silly,
Regarding old vs. new L-5 style, this is a BIG subject and I hardly know where to start. New thread maybe? Gross oversimplification to follow: In the world of acoustic archtops I see a spectrum of sound with the carved Gibsons and Epi's of the the 30's and 40's at one end and the later guitars of Jimmy D'Aquisto at the other end. The former are most known for their fast attack and great fit as a rhythm instrument, the latter are often said to have more balanced bass and treble and a smoother attack. There is absolutely no doubt that modern luthiers pull strongly toward the D'Aquisto end of the spectrum. I'm not an expert on modern Gibson's (my newest is a '77) but I suspect that you are right that they also have moved a little along the spectrum. Please share your experience if you know more the I do.

Cheers to all...
Hi Archtop guy,

my limited experience of archtops are pretty much related to my personal experience of a modern Eastman AR805 and my Gibson 1934 L4/7 (label says L-4, trim and detail says L-7). Archtop.com who sold it to me think it was fancied up for export (?)

Anyway the tone of the Eastman could almost be confused with a flat top for the balance and response whilst the old Gibson responds far less to subtlety, but far more to a firm approach to get the best out of it.

In other words, I think we agree.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
my limited experience of archtops are pretty much related to my personal experience of a modern Eastman AR805 and my Gibson 1934 L4/7 (label says L-4, trim and detail says L-7). Archtop.com who sold it to me think it was fancied up for export (?)

Anyway the tone of the Eastman could almost be confused with a flat top for the balance and response whilst the old Gibson responds far less to subtlety, but far more to a firm approach to get the best out of it.
The Eastman's are supposedly based on the tips and ideas in Benedetto's book, and Benedetto is significantly influenced by, even if unacknowledged, Jimmy D'Aquisto.

So yes, we agree.

Circle 'Round the Sun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops