The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 PM

Default Guitar Huggers project guitars?

Has anyone bought from Guitar Huggers?

They have bulk sets, damaged guitars, parts, etc. I am thinking of trying my hand at repairs, as I enjoy taking something broken and making it usable again (I've done some basic furniture restoring). I figured this would be a good way to get some instruments to mess around with and learn a thing or two.

For $140, there's a set of four Epi acoustics in various states. Money's not an issue, so I don't have to sell them for profit. If I can make them playable, I may just donate them locally.

It's not as if I need any more things on my plate, (and I was actually wanting to thin out my collection just last week), but I'm curious nonetheless. I could just as easily pick up a single project guitar at a garage sale, I suppose, and save on shipping.

Thoughts?
Old 09-04-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
It's not as if I need any more things on my plate,... ..., but I'm curious nonetheless.
Thoughts?
That is my downfall also. That sure looks interesting, curious what is wrong with them, well maybe not the one with a broken headstock. Shipping is a killer for a lot of stuff for me. You could try thrift shops, I picked up a guitar that needed work done on it.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Has anyone bought from Guitar Huggers?

They have bulk sets, damaged guitars, parts, etc. I am thinking of trying my hand at repairs, as I enjoy taking something broken and making it usable again (I've done some basic furniture restoring). I figured this would be a good way to get some instruments to mess around with and learn a thing or two.

For $140, there's a set of four Epi acoustics in various states. Money's not an issue, so I don't have to sell them for profit. If I can make them playable, I may just donate them locally.

It's not as if I need any more things on my plate, (and I was actually wanting to thin out my collection just last week), but I'm curious nonetheless. I could just as easily pick up a single project guitar at a garage sale, I suppose, and save on shipping.

Thoughts?

go for it. why not? you say you're going to donate them and you want to dip your beak into repair. it could be fun

imo, none of those brands have any decent resale value at all though and out here on the left coast, garage sales, pawn shops, and flea markets charge almost list price.

i blame reality tv for causing people to think that everything that they own is rare, one of a kind, and valuable (when it usually isn't), making honest deals very hard to find. maybe things are different on the east coast though.

Last edited by arie; 09-04-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:04 PM

It doesn't seem worth it to me. I suppose it could be valuable training if you want to get into the repair business but then you could always buy local junkers and break them yourself and fix them for much less the cost.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Yeah, I think it's a decent deal, but the shipping would be a lot of unnecessary money spent. I think I'll go check out Craigslist instead....

....oh, wait -- my plan was to sell something, not buy something. Silly me.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 AM

It looks like it says Fee Shipping to the Lower 48 on it to me?

But still...
Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM

Looks like you could keep checking the site, over time you might find a better deal. If nothing else, they could make good shop decoration.

SA
Old 09-06-2014, 08:44 AM

These gyys have lots of projects and frequently have lots of 4 also http://www.ebay.com/usr/riceage-musicandmore
Old 09-08-2014, 01:39 AM

Riceage ,are the same folks...They recently changed name to Guitar Huggers according to an email that I received,
No, I have not tried them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair