The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-22-2014, 02:25 PM

Default A vintage Guild NOS bridge would help

Hi,

I have a mid '70s Guild G37SB that needs a neck reset, bridge and setup. It's lived a hard life but sounds good.

I bought a NOS Guild acoustic guitar bridge on ebay that was the same type, but, like I was afraid, the peg holes wouldn't work out for that model guitar.

IS there a source for vintage NOS parts like I'm looking for? Or even that style NOS or new rosewood bridge blank that could be finished for this particular guitar?

As you can tell the neck reset alone will probably equal the existing value of the guitar, let alone replacing the current bridge that's split into three pieces and secured to the top with small machine screws by some past, enterprising player...

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:49 PM

Your best bet is to have a competent luthier make one, using the old one as a pattern. Guild was using Brazilian RW for bridges in that period.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:44 AM

Likely the person you have do the reset can fabricate a new bridge for you.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:57 AM

If you are thinking of doing the job yourself, are you up to filling the pin holes in the bridge and then re-drilling to suit the guitar? You would have to fill with ebony or rosewood or whatever the bridge was made of but if accurately done it would not be visible after the pins are in.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Try Let's Talk Guild

There are sources for this part.

I all depends a bit where in the world you are located but two excellent sources for such original parts are:

Hans Moust in the Netherlands (contact via his webpage): http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/index.php
Ken Nash in Connecticut: http://www.theguitarmechanic.com/GuildBridge.html
You might need to tell them the serial number of your guitar to get the correct parts.

Taylor 2010 - 410CE (maybe for sale)
1970's Guilds: D-50, D-35 x2
Yamaha's
o LS400
o LS500
o FG180

Last edited by Sansome; 09-07-2014 at 07:51 PM. Reason: better info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
bridge, guild, nos, parts