The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Default Slot heads

I have come up with my own , unique variation on the slothead headstock .
I will implement this in my 12 fret 0 that now has my full attention and needs completion .
Old 09-06-2014, 06:22 PM

Many luthiers have come up with "unique variations", which, upon examination, turn out to have been implemented years previously.

(Some have even been granted patents for these "unique variations" LOL)

Here's hoping your variation does in fact prove to be truly unique.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Many luthiers have come up with "unique variations", which, upon examination, turn out to have been implemented years previously.

(Some have even been granted patents for these "unique variations" LOL)

Here's hoping your variation does in fact prove to be truly unique.
What I will tell you is that this is from my own thoughts and that I have never seen it done .
Of course , that doesn't mean that it hasn't been done .
Half the fun will be in researching this .
The beauty is in the simplicity .
Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Forgive me here, but what is the point of this thread? Are you intending to share this idea? Are you looking for feedback on the implementation? As it is it doesn't seem to really give any information.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Forgive me here, but what is the point of this thread? Are you intending to share this idea? Are you looking for feedback on the implementation? As it is it doesn't seem to really give any information.
I am making an old fashioned statement .
It sure would be nice to have a marketable and patentable design , thank you .
Old 09-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Not sure how a slotted head could be patentable... It's a slot to install tuners and accept strings. Design is a whole other thing but how much design can go on in taht small space?

IDK?

Why don't you share it? Won't tell... Promise.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:47 PM

"Hey guys, I got this great idea...!! But I'm NOT going to tell you..."

Why post a thread before you are ready to share your idea, or before you are ready to share photos of its implementation??

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 09-07-2014, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
"Hey guys, I got this great idea...!! But I'm NOT going to tell you..."

Why post a thread before you are ready to share your idea, or before you are ready to share photos of its implementation??
I do not share your anger .
I , as you would , reserve the right to divulge the details at the time of my choosing .
Mods , please close this thread .
Thank you .
Old 09-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I do not share your anger .
I , as you would , reserve the right to divulge the details at the time of my choosing .
Mods , please close this thread .
Thank you .
I am not angry, and have no reason to be so. Just pointing out that perhaps you should have waited until you were ready to divulge before you posted this thread.

FWIW, Grit Laskin and Linda Manzer, both whom I met and attended workshop classes with them during ASIA 1997, both have non-patented innovations regarding which they have the attitude: "If you like this innovation and want to use it, just please credit me as its creator." Both of them believe the free sharing of ideas will propel innovation further by sharing. "Laskin armrest" and "Manzer wedge".

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 09-07-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM

A little story - the scene and quotes are paraphrased, of course:

Years ago, Dan Erlewine was talking to Bill Collings at an A.S.I.A. convention. Bill said, "Dan - I have the coolest little tool idea - you're really going to croak when I show it to you."

"Great, Bill, what IS it?"

"Oh, I'll tell you about it next year. . ."

Well, Dan waited, and when Bill showed him the tool the following year, he DID croak. In fact, the tool made an appearance right away in the StewMac catalog as the modified sheet metal nibbler fret tang nipper we all use these days.

As I see it, this little story has a moral. If you're going to dangle an undisclosed idea in front of people, you dang well better have the goods, or risk playing the fool.

And, no fool himself, Bill Collings HAS the goods. We're all glad he presented is tool idea, even if he did mess a bit with everybody's favorite guitar repairman!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
A little story - the scene and quotes are paraphrased, of course:

Years ago, Dan Erlewine was talking to Bill Collings at an A.S.I.A. convention. Bill said, "Dan - I have the coolest little tool idea - you're really going to croak when I show it to you."

"Great, Bill, what IS it?"

"Oh, I'll tell you about it next year. . ."

Well, Dan waited, and when Bill showed him the tool the following year, he DID croak. In fact, the tool made an appearance right away in the StewMac catalog as the modified sheet metal nibbler fret tang nipper we all use these days.

As I see it, this little story has a moral. If you're going to dangle an undisclosed idea in front of people, you dang well better have the goods, or risk playing the fool.

And, no fool himself, Bill Collings HAS the goods. We're all glad he presented is tool idea, even if he did mess a bit with everybody's favorite guitar repairman!
I am building it at this time as stated in my original post .
How about if we allow the horse to try and walk before we shoot it for being lame .
Hardly took 12 hours for the naysayers to start from when I posted about this concept which was about 2 hours old in my mind when I posted about it .
If this really does work , and I believe that it will , I have no doubt that there will be detractors . Fair dinkum .
Old 09-07-2014, 03:21 PM

[QUOTE=Ned Milburn;4120130] Just pointing out that perhaps you should have waited until you were ready to divulge before you posted this thread.

Why ?
Old 09-07-2014, 03:34 PM

I'd say because otherwise it just comes across as starting a thread with "I have an idea and I'm not going to tell you what it is", which not only conveys no information, but frankly wastes space on this forum.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
I'd say because otherwise it just comes across as starting a thread with "I have an idea and I'm not going to tell you what it is", which not only conveys no information, but frankly wastes space on this forum.
Thank you for your opinion .
I have a guitar to complete using my idea .
Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

I dunno about waste Geoff, we did get a tidy anecdote from Frank.

I would have thought from your use of the words "fair dinkum" that you would have expected a bit of a stirring like Ned's first line Otter. I reckon if Ned didn't say it someone would have.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair