The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Matthews View Post
and if the saddle and the nut are the lowest possible before buzz ? , then you 'have to' deal with the truss rod...
That's like saying your cars steering mechanism pulls to the right...so take it in to the mechanic to have the wheels aligned so they shimmy to the left.
You need to get the steering fixed....not try to compensate by messing up the alignment.
Screwing with the alignment can kind of alleviate the problem..but the car isn't functioning properly now....and it will still be a pain in the as* to drive.

Read the section on neck angle at Frets.com.
If the saddle is at it's lowest and you want the action lower, your guitar needs a neck re-set.
Cranking the truss rod;
1) will most likely not alter the action enough to do the job...while at the same time screwing up your neck relief, and
2) could damage your guitar.

Your guitar needs a neck re-set.
OR, potentially, the bridge could be sanded down to allow more saddle to show..to be sanded down....but even if this is possible (enough bridge to sand down....neck angle isn't TOO bad) your guitar is headed for a neck re-set at some point in the not too distant future.

It is the nature of the beast that acoustic guitars need neck re-sets at some points in their lives. Sounds like this one is in need of it's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
That said...a guitar with a bad neck angle, high action, no saddle showing and a bunch of neck relief will be marginally more playable with bad neck angle, high action, no saddle showing and no neck relief. And if the action is like 1/8" or higher you don't need any neck relief anyways.

In other words, having a bunch of relief cranked into the neck with the truss rod will make an otherwise hard-to-play guitar play even worse. So what the heck, get the neck flat anyway although at some point you've got to fix the real problem(s).
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
Go back to frets.com and read everything about neck relief, neck angle, saddle height etc to get a better understanding of how these elements interact to affect playability and a healthy guitar.

Good luck.......
Yes.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-03-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendra View Post
......... coz it's no longer possible to adjust the truss rod anymore. Thanks for any advise.
BTW, if you have the truss rod maxed out, I'd advise loosening it a bit.
You don't want to have it lock up.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion