The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 PM

Default Used Taylor T5, or some alternative?

Hey all,

I would have just continued an older threat on this subject, but my search revealed they are from years and years ago. So I want to upgrade to T5, but a new one would at the top of my budget. Does anyone have something similar. Again, searches come up with these: http://www.crafterusa.com/hybrid-models.

They certainly seem nice for the price. How to they compare to the T5? I'm a strummer only, solo performer, but I want some versatility as far as a clean sound on a couple of songs. I would have no problem going with a used T5, but I'm utterly petrified I'm going to be taken over a site like eBay because I have NO CLUE what I'm looking for. I would rather buy new and have the ability to return it or get it fixed under a warranty.

Additionally, do you guys know of any electric guitars that come with piezo picksup that offer the same kind of versatility with a solid body? What really would the difference be between a hollow body hybrid and a solid body hybrid.

I'm not as blown away by tone as a I am by what the guitar can do. I can take medium grade tone as long as I can get a decent acoustic sound out of it, as well as a decent clean electric sound. And perhaps someday, when my fingers no longer have a mind of their own, I can add a little soloing in there with a loop pedal (but after 20 years of playing, that hasn't seemed to happen yet! )

Any knowledge that could be offered would be a great help. When it comes to this type of stuff, I'm still very much learning!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 PM

Oh, and other than the Crafter, it seems there have been a number of T5 knockoffs that are no longer available. Ovation had one, and there have been others. Were they garbage, or did Taylor just corner the market?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:39 PM

You might consider a Michael Kelly: https://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/...guitars/hybrid
Old 09-23-2016, 04:04 AM

Here is an idea. There are always a number of used T5's on the Guitar Center site, under "used gear". Buy one you like and they will ship it to the store closest to you. You then have what I think is a 60 or 90 day period to try it out.
If you don't care for it, just return it to your store. You will owe the original shipping costs, which I've been told averages 25.00
That way you can make sure it is for you. I don't now own a T5 but would like to and probably will at some point. I think they are great guitars (this is a polarizing opinion on the board).
Old 09-23-2016, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I love my T5. The versatility just blows me away every time I pick it up. I agree with DoryDavis. If there are none on the AGF, you can't beat the return policy at Guitar Center for used gear.

I think the "polarizing' part of this guitar is if you have a misaligned goal for the T5. The best way I've heard it described is that "it's 80% of an acoustic and 80% of an electric". If you want the tele/strat/e335 sound, then get one of those. But d_mn you can get pretty darn close with these. Same with an acoustic tone. When I run mine thru my Loudbox mini, it's amazing how close it can sound to an acoustic. I also have one with a Sitka top that helps get even closer to an acoustic sound.

Good luck on your search.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:58 AM
Charter Member

I tried a T5 classic. Returned it, though. It is versatile, and it is more than adequate for banging out Margaritaville in a bar - which is - sometimes lamentably - what I do

It is comfortable, not bulky, and can handle all the "yacht rock" anyone here could possibly crank out. I stuck with my acoustics because I just "felt better" with them.

I dont know about the crafters - they look like knockoffs? To me the Taylor version sounds great and is inexpensive enough (classic version) that it would be my choice.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:58 AM

I own a T5, bought used on eBay. I was interested in an acoustic that was thinner than a regular one, and not so much the other sounds of the guitar.

There are certainly other hybrid guitars like the Michael Kelly referenced above, as well as the Fender Power Tele with a Fishman powerbridge or the PRS P22. If I played more, I would love to have a Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus 2 which is the upscale version of the Michael Kelly hybrid...

One trick is to get something more electric like the Power Tele and run the acoustic output through a Fishman Aura or other preamp to beef up the acoustic sound.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:13 AM

I've (briefly) owned a T5, but I now own a comparable Godin Multiac Spectrum. I think the T5 is one of the prettiest guitars ever made, but I find the Godin a more functional, and not unattractive, alternative. The T5, for me, had some of the delicacy of an electric guitar requiring a light touch. The Godin, though slim and hollow-bodied, is a more robust instrument. It's set up and constructed for 12-52s, although I put 11s on mine, and it handles reasonably vigorous strumming well. It also works well with dropped tunings. The pickups are less fussy than the T5 in that there is one piezo and one magnetic pickup and you can slide between variances of the two. A big advantage for me is the synth pickup. This makes the Godin a very versatile guitar with so many possibilities. The T5 is a beautiful guitar, but I think the Godin has more to offer.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I had a T5 for a few months and did like it alot. Ended up selling it because I never used it as an electric and found myself preferring a true acoustic when playing acoustic... If I played anywhere that I needed both I would get one again in a heartbeat. Very cool guitar, just didn't suit my needs when I owned it...

Current Guitars:
1986 Petros Spruce/Rosewood Dread (for sale)
2000 Taylor XXV-DR
1997 Taylor 514c

My photography website
Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 AM

Alvarez has a Hybrid AC65
Washburn has a Hybrid EACT42
Old 09-23-2016, 11:22 AM

Carvin has a couple
Old 09-24-2016, 11:57 AM

Tremendous insight, but I expect nothing less when I ask you guys. I'm going to start doing my research on the ones listed here, as well as some used T5s.

Someone eluded to it, and it is a concern of mine -- the feel of an electric guitar. Yes, the action is lower, but I've only ever played acoustics, meaning I push down hard on the strings. I played a strat two weeks ago, just because I had some extra time (waiting on the wife!) and a music store was nearby. I use my acoustic fingers to play an electric, and the chords sound out of tune. It's the strangest thing. I'm hoping a T5 has more of an acoustic feel when it comes to that.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a T5 and find it to be a very versatile guitar. You'll get used to the lighter action on it... in fact, you may find that your acoustics are more work, after playing a T5.

I'm not familiar with the different knockoffs, but if you shop around, you can find a used T5 very close in price to that link you had for the Crafters.

Something I find to add even more versatility to the T5 is using an A/B/Y pedal with it, running one side to an acoustic amp and the other to the electric amp (color) of your choosing.

My take on the T5 is that some folks are buying it for the wrong reason: it doesn't take the place of an electric and an acoustic... it is its own unique voice. I have used it in place of an acoustic (solo gig) and got the same nice compliments ("Sounds good!") as with any of my acoustics. No doubt, had there been any acoustic "purists" the comments may have been different. I play to accompany my vocals... and also use a vocal harmonizer... (see the "purists" reference above ).

I have had a Strat and an LP, and still have a 335 (for 51 years now)... I always thought my 335 was the guitar that could be my one-and-only, but the T5 made me question that. It really is a unique guitar.

Good luck with your search.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:54 AM

That's why I want one. To gig with. Our audiences don't have many "purists", they just want it to sound good. An easy playing guitar that sounds pretty darn good as an acoustic, and pretty darn good as an electric, is perfect for gigging imho.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Save your pennies and buy an Anderson Crowdster. I've owned both a T5 and a Crowdster Plus +. They're expensive, but their also like an investment. You'll probably make a little if you ever sell it. The Crowdster is truly in a different league than the T5.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion