The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2016, 12:19 PM

Default Bought a GS mini for a starter guitar and I think I've made a huge mistake.

Hi, just registered, lurked for several weeks and seems like a nice place.

So, I decided to pick up a guitar to learn and play my favorite songs. I Googled starter guitar and found a website that listed the GS mini as the number two starter guitar, had great reviews so I decided to buy it. For those that are wondering, number one was a seagull, I didn't like the dreadnought body so I passed.

I went to a guitar center last week to pick up a strap, while I was there I tried a full scale 25.5 inch yamaha, gs mini scale is 23.5 inches. Also, the nut size was wider at 1.75 inch, as opposed to the gs mini's 1.68 inch. When I tried chords on it I found chords such as the C and Dm which span three frets were giving me a bit of difficulty, probably from the increased scale length, I pretty much mastered the fingering on both chords on the gs mini. I also found playing the A chord was easier because of the increased fret length, on the gs mini it's a tight squeeze. I'm thinking I've made a huge mistake buying the mini, and should of gone with a full scale proper sized guitar because the mini might hamper my learning. Your thoughts?

I also have a question about the gs mini regarding quality control / decreased resale value, since I pretty much decided to sell it and get a full sized guitar. I noticed some sideways scratches (scratches horizontal in pics below) on the fretboard when i got it, it kind of bothered me but the gs mini koa I bought was from an authorized dealer who listed pictures of each individual gs mini koa. I bought this particular one because of the nice figuring which is also why I didn't want to return it, I also didn't want to go through the hassle of returning it, and I really wanted to play it. I figured it's going to get scratches eventually so I kept it. Since I'm selling it now it may effect the resale value.

I noticed two more imperfections, the first is on the neck on the picture below it looks like a scratch but it actually protrudes upwards from the finishing. The second looks/feels like a tiny indentation I'd say it's about 1/6 - 1/8 of an inch. Otherwise, I pretty much babied it, kept it in it's case when not playing and in great condition otherwise.

Some dark, and light discoloration here. I heard it's normal for it not to be perfectly black.

Two very light (vertical) scratches

You can see two sideways (vertical here) scratches here.

Another (vertical here) scratch

Pic of the protrusion that looks like a scratch it's near the middle of the pic slightly to the right.

Pic of the small indentation, it's in the middle of the pic

Do you think these imperfections will effect the resale value?

If so, how much?

If I contacted taylor do you think they could do something about it?

I only had the guitar exactly 4 weeks to the day, and it was manufactured on 7/15/2016.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 PM

When you Google beginner guitar, what you get are results based on paid adwords, not necessarily the best options for beginner guitars. Having said that, the GS Mini would certainly work as beginner guitar, and could be used for it's intended purpose later on, as a travel guitar.

As the imperfections, other than the mall dings on the back that probably happened in the store, I don't see a problem.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by squared View Post
I'm thinking I've made a huge mistake buying the mini, and should of gone with a full scale proper sized guitar because the mini might hamper my learning. Your thoughts?
I don't think it will hamper your learning. Your hands will make an adjustment when you play a different neck, but that's true of any guitar.

Quote:
Do you think these imperfections will effect the resale value?
No.

Quote:
If I contacted taylor do you think they could do something about it?
No.

Quote:
I only had the guitar exactly 4 weeks to the day.
Doesn't Guitar Center take returns for 30 days?
Old 09-22-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hi, just registered, lurked for several weeks and seems like a nice place.
Welcome!

I went to a guitar center last week to pick up a strap, while I was there I tried a full scale 25.5 inch yamaha, gs mini scale is 23.5 inches.
The mini was too short a scale for me also.

Also, the nut size was wider at 1.75 inch, as opposed to the gs mini's 1.68 inch. I'm thinking I've made a huge mistake buying the mini, and should of gone with a full scale proper sized guitar
Yamaha's are not really 1.75 even though they are sold and advertised that way. They are actually closer to 1 11/16", maybe in-between but not 1.75"
There are other body sizes.
I have two 000 body sizes with 24.9" scales. and a OM body with the full scale.
Did I help to confuse you more?

I noticed some sideways scratches (scratches horizontal in pics below) on the fretboard when i got it,
Those look like the grain to me?
I think the mini's are excellent to have around as a 2nd guitar.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:48 PM

You haven't been playing NEARLY long enough to go assigning any fault to the guitar. Do not confuse the difficulty of being a beginner with any supposed shortcomings of the instrument.

I'd give it a good couple of years or knowing how to play 3 or 4 dozen tunes (whichever comes first) before jumping ship. General concensus is that it should serve your purpose and for sure you'll not find an instrument that will play the songs for you.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:05 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

[QUOTE=Willie Voltaire;5074481
Doesn't Guitar Center take returns for 30 days?[/QUOTE]

I bought it from an authorized taylor dealer that has a store, in another state exchange/return period ended already. Guitar center/sam ash didn't have the koa in stock they could of ordered one for me but I wouldn't have got to see the figuring beforehand. I didn't want one of the ones with a white streak going up the middle, or on the sides. Uggg I'm kicking myself though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
You haven't been playing NEARLY long enough to go assigning any fault to the guitar. Do not confuse the difficulty of being a beginner with any supposed shortcomings of the instrument.
I'm not assigning fault to the guitar. I'm questioning if learning to play guitar on a 23.5 inch scale guitar, when the big majority of guitars have a scale length 25.5 inch is the right course of action. When I tried the yamaha I clearly noticed a difference in the fret length. Dm, C were stretchier and a tiny bit harder to do, while the A chord was a lot easier to do, on the mini it's a tight fit.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:06 PM

keep the mini and buy a Yamaha of some sorts. Best of both worlds
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 PM

Welcome to the forum ; FYI Ted knows a little something about guitars in general and Taylors in particular (see his signature) - I'd listen to him...
Old 09-22-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post

I'd give it a good couple of years or knowing how to play 3 or 4 dozen tunes (whichever comes first) before jumping ship. General concensus is that it should serve your purpose and for sure you'll not find an instrument that will play the songs for you.
The only thing negative he said about the guitar was that it was cramped while playing an a chord, and I couldn't agree with him more. I will never own a Gs mini because my hands do not fit a neck that narrow. I have played dozens of them, btw. Not once did I read that the was looking for a shortcut only constructive advice.

Having a mini guitar as your only guitar, it is inevitable that there will come a time when you want a full sized instrument. It seems that time has already come. I know your going to take a hit by you will be better served in the long run with a full sized instrument.

I also feel that in whole the smaller guitar will hinder your learning process, though probably not as much as you think. Your fingers will still learn what they need to know and you will still learn the mental aspects of it just the same. The guitar strings hold less tension and the frets and strings are closer together, all of these things lead to a remarkably different playing experience. The attack is different with the right hand, fretting is different with the left hand and arm and sitting posture are different. When you do try to switch there most certainly will be a learning curve. You may as well kill two birds with one stone. I also do not think the Gs mini sounds as good as alot of other people do. I think sonically you will be better served with a full sized guitar. I think you will be struggling with the fact that you can't make the Gs mini sound like the guitarists that you are trying to learn from. It's not that I think it sounds bad, it just "sounds good for a travel guitar".

The only people I would recommend gs mini as a starter guitar are children and remarkably small adults. For anyone else I would recommend at the very least a 24.xx" scale. Don't get me wrong, for a travel guitar the Gs mini is one of the best you can find,I just don't think of it as a starter guitar.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-22-2016 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 09-22-2016, 02:27 PM

As a beginner you will have a lot of questions and concerns.
The GS Mini is a great guitar to learn on.
It is a lot better than most entry level guitars from 15 to 20 years ago.

You are wondering about string spacing and scale length.
These things will come into play at lot more as you advance in your playing ability.

Something to think about.
What if you had chosen to play mandolin or banjo.
These necks are very different from a guitar yet people of all sizes play them.
You will get a feel for the instrument that you play.
Keep practicing and get better.
Some day you will probably move on to a different guitar.
Most of us have done that.
For now don't worry that you have the wrong guitar.
You have a nice guitar that will assist you in learning to play.

Now get back to practice!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 PM

I think the GS Mini makes an excellent starter guitar!
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 09-22-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm not assigning fault to the guitar. I'm questioning if learning to play guitar on a 23.5 inch scale guitar, when the big majority of guitars have a scale length 25.5 inch is the right course of action. When I tried the yamaha I clearly noticed a difference in the fret length. Dm, C were stretchier and a tiny bithhh harder to do, while the A chord was a lot easier to do, on the mini it's a tight fit.
Every difficulty you describe is more attributable to the amount of experience you have rather than the instrument. Switching instruments is just as likely to simply sustitute new problems for old if you're just beginning. How long have you been at it? There's an old saying regarding playing an instrument:

"The first (fill in # here) years are the hard part."

With fiddle the number is 20. In retrospect I'd have to say that was correct. Not that it wasn't fun on the way, but after 20 years it got a LOT easier.

Good luck, give it your best shot and ... practice makes perfect, or at least better.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking I've made a huge mistake buying the mini, and should of gone with a full scale proper sized guitar because the mini might hamper my learning. Your thoughts?
I do not think you made a mistake and you can learn to play guitar with a GS Mini as your first guitar. Your fingers and your mind will adjust to it, just keep playing.

If you have doubts about it, just put GS Mini aside and get yourself a Yamaha or similar bigger guitar. I would not sell GS Mini if I were you at this point.
Wait for a year or two, you can always sell it later, there is no hurry. But most likely you'll decide to keep it.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:04 PM

First off... General speaking. You need to have confidence in the guitar you choose to learn properly. If you have doubts now.... I presume they will always be there in back of your mind.

But to answer the question. I do not think you made a mistake. You can easily learn on the Taylor. But it sounds like you want a "normal" scale model and there are plenty of nice ones including the Yamaha you mentioned.

2nd .. as for any of the imperfections. I don't see any problems or anything to worry. Guitars / Wood do get marked from normal handling. I doubt they will hinder the resale value. As with most items... It already took the price "hit" when you bought it. You can check Reverb to see what they are going for used.

Good luck! ... Maybe you can keep the Taylor and find a nice used guitar to learn on.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

I do not think your purchase was a mistake. I don't own a GS Mini, but they're nice little guitars that can serve you well as a starter or travel guitar. I'd stick with it until you've played a few more and looked around a little bit. I've seen friends go through 5 or 6 guitars as they started because they kept finding another that sounded better than the last one. I'd be patient...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion