The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2016, 07:02 AM

“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.”
- Johann Sebastian Bach
Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
"Chap" is a colloquial British expression equivalent to US "guy".

It is somewhat old-fashioned, and nobody under thirty would use the word, especially on an multi-national internet forum, but Silly Moustache is not under thirty, and allowances should therefore be made for the parochial colloquialisms which he is fond of using in his posts here.
Well, thank you Murrmac for "apologising" for my use of the Queen's English. For those of limited vocabulary, I shall endeavour in future to use the term "bloke" rather than chap, as a kindly reference to a gentleman.

It seems that this thread has been subject to many misinterpretations not only of my terminology but also to my original post, and mistook my observation of my inadequacy in describing my playing as some sort of aggressive or arrogant statement. I'm saddened by this, but I have resolved that it was best not to respond to them.

However, my thanks go to those who on the thread and off have responded with positivity and understanding.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 AM

Smile

Silly, I totally sympathize. It just sucks when you know you suck, but others suck even more....

Old 09-24-2016, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianb View Post
Silly, I totally sympathize. It just sucks when you know you suck, but others suck even more....

What IS this "sucks" of which you speak?
Old 09-24-2016, 12:13 PM

Default how do you do...

What I like is when accomplished players ask me how I do it playing only half as much as they use to get the same or greater effect...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, thank you Murrmac for "apologising" for my use of the Queen's English. For those of limited vocabulary, I shall endeavour in future to use the term "bloke" rather than chap, as a kindly reference to a gentleman.

It seems that this thread has been subject to many misinterpretations not only of my terminology but also to my original post, and mistook my observation of my inadequacy in describing my playing as some sort of aggressive or arrogant statement. I'm saddened by this, but I have resolved that it was best not to respond to them.

However, my thanks go to those who on the thread and off have responded with positivity and understanding.
Sorry. It was meant as a joke. You said "chap" a bunch in your OP. Sorry about my "limited vocabulary" (ironic isn't it). I'm just a chap from the colonies.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I totally understand. It's happened to me also. It's the nature of forums I suppose. Now I just throw out a thought and let it take on a life of it's own. Once I post I give up ownership of the thread. (For the most part)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Guest4562

I spent years either playing solo or being the only instrumentalist in some situations. You learn a lot that way. But I know what you mean. When asked how I do something I always say I really don't know. If I thought about what I was doing I'd mess it up. Sounds like a flip answer, but it happens to be the truth.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:
What IS this "sucks" of which you speak?
I suck at playing guitar: I'm no good

So it's not good that I'm no good, but that others are even worse.....
Old 09-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoat View Post
Sorry. It was meant as a joke. You said "chap" a bunch in your OP. Sorry about my "limited vocabulary" (ironic isn't it). I'm just a chap from the colonies.
.... and my response was a bit snarky too. I apologise.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 09-24-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:47 PM

Years ago I asked that same question. The answer I was given was: find the chord as it would be played in the barred position and find notes that fit there abouts. I then discovered minor pentatonic scales. Now I just noodle around the minor chord shape in that chord sequence and venture up and down the neck to where I reckon notes fit. In short a little theory and lots and lots of guess work. Learning is so much fun! BTW, the Porsche guy reminds me of when I was in primary school in the 50s aged 8. We started recorder lessons. One posh girl was sent with a clarinet, her mother was such a snob. We all laughed.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Hi Amy, yes you are correct of course, and I still remember when I couldn't play guitar or sing, (and I know that I have considerable limitations in both, and so, I can sympathise/empathise with both of them.

One chap is nervous but tries really hard to improve, but the other chap is a tad pompous and not prepared to improve. He gives the impression that if he can get the technology to show him words and chords etc., that's good enough.

I offered to give him lessons - he replied - "send me an e-mail showing me what I need to do". No!

It seems that some have missed my point. I was pointing out my inadequacy in being able to "know" what I'm doing when I noodle things. I wish I could ....but I don't.

Maybe the guitar does it and I just sit behind it and mime.
I get what you have been saying, Silly Moustache. It has always been clear to me that some people can simply hear and feel the music in a way that contributes greatly to their ability to improvise. The rest of us have to work harder to develop the skill that comes more naturally to others. Whenever I have asked one of the "naturals" how to do it, they've never been able to explain it very well. You are not alone.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:53 PM

I usually pick up a scale that matches the chords and doodle around that. I have no knowledge of theory what so ever.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
When in doubt, for Spanish stuff, play thirds. They're relatively easy to learn, probably on YouTube, you'll have them down in no time at all! Sometimes they're positioned like that typical A7 run from the first position (or second fret) up the neck. 3rd fret G string and 4th fret D string depressed. You're probably familiar with that, but just one example. See how far you can take it up the neck. There is a pattern to it and it will go all they way up. Once you memorize these third shapes, they're all over the place and in every key. Major or Minor keys!
Rinse and repeat until it becomes second nature to you!
Old 09-24-2016, 05:52 PM

I can do what you are describing, but I can't describe how I do it, nor do I have the foggiest idea what scale I may or not be playing in.

Did not say I was an accomplished guitar player as I have to think hard just to remember the names of the strings themselves, but for some reason some minute portion of a musical gene must have accidentally found it's way into me when I was being assembled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion