The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Suggestions of recorders/interfaces for solo acoustic guitar instrumentals

Hi there!
I'm thinking about starting to record seriously. For either tracks/albums or videos.(solo acoustic guitar instrumentals)
I need something capable of recording the full spectrum of any guitar.
My maximum budget right now is around 500-600US$ for the entire rig.
From what i researched zoom h4n, h5, and h6 can provide a close to professional quality when used with a nice pair of condenser mics.
Is there any improvement in quality from the h4n up to the h6 other than the number of chanels?
The q8 seems like an interesting versatile choice being able to also plug mics and use it either as a standalone audio recorder or youtube video recorder. But i'm not sure if the audio recording quality is the same as the h4-h6 recorders. And the video quality is poor compared to a sony hdr-mv1 (as well as the quality of the internal mics).
I also found an used zoom r8 within this price range, but it needs mics right of the bat, and i have no idea how it compares to the h series.
Any better options?
I'm lost here...
Help!
Old 09-16-2016, 12:26 PM

Been reading that the tascam dr-70t have better pre amps than the zoom h6.
Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2016, 01:43 PM

The Zoom R8 is a great digital recorder...New for about $300. You can record two tracks at a time. Has phantom power for your condenser mics. It also has built in mics so you can record with it. The quality is surprisingly good, but not good enough for serious recording. So you'll need a couple of mics.

It's also a lot more device than just a digital recorder. It does have 8 tracks so you can be listening to your backing tracks and recording on the other channels. Has extensive drum recordings, overdubbing, can do mastering, etc....Batteries last long enough, so you can take it anywhere.

However, it's really complicated to use the additional features. I put some effort into trying to learn all that other stuff. Wow. Next to impossible for me. A nifty recorder. But use a DAW to do the fancy stuff like adding backing tracks, drums, audio editing, adjusting signal, equalizing, mastering, etc... Used to be really expensive getting a DAW and the Zoom came out to solve that problem with an all in one offering.

Getting a used unit sounds like a good idea. That should leave enough money for 2 mics, cables and stands. Lots customers love this unit and do professional quality recordings. There are good free/almost free DAW software packages.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD