The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar to amp to recorder - good setup if poor room acoustics?

I want to try doing some recording by plugging my acoustic guitars into my Fishman Loudbox Mini and then using its XLR output jack going to a Zoom H5 recorder which accepts an XLR input. My guitar room acoustics are not the best and I thought this would give me a cleaner recording. Anyone use this kind of recording strategy on a frequent or regular basis? Any tips?

Thanks!!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 09-09-2016, 07:21 PM

I often go straight from the guitar pickup to a Zoom H6, without the extra step of the amp. I've occasionally used various preamps in the chain, but I've actually had more success with a straight direct input, very conservative level management to avoid any hint of clipping, and then some tweaking in post.

Here's a video of a duet using that strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PguuR5QLYxM

There's some high pass and low pass filtering, maybe a 7khz dip, and a bit of delay on the LR Baggs Element in my buddy's guitar and no processing on the Lyric in mine.

I might add that you might get better than expected results using the H5 XY mics, also. Try the "Doug Young" position, 12" to 18" straight out from the soundhole, up about 3" to 6" higher than the guitar. This often gets a nice fat image of the guitar and if you play with enough volume the room effects might not be unbearable.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-10-2016, 02:13 AM

Go straight to the Zoom. And that is good advice on being cautious with the levels - it is easy to overlook things with the Z6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin J40
Old 09-10-2016, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

I guess going straight to the Zoom with a guitar that has it's own on board pre-amp gives you more tone shaping?
Old 09-10-2016, 09:51 AM

My guitars don't have any eq or other preamp function, just a buffer preamp. I do all the tone shaping in post production, that is, in software after the recording.

On the other hand, the cost of trying your approach is $00.00 and you'll learn something. So try using the amp as a preamp, try miking the amp, try miking acoustically, try using effect boxes, try mixing mic and DI. The more you try the more you'll know.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 09-10-2016, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
My guitars don't have any eq or other preamp function, just a buffer preamp. I do all the tone shaping in post production, that is, in software after the recording.

On the other hand, the cost of trying your approach is $00.00 and you'll learn something. So try using the amp as a preamp, try miking the amp, try miking acoustically, try using effect boxes, try mixing mic and DI. The more you try the more you'll know.

Fran
Yep, I can try a lot of things. It should be a very fun project. Love your YouTube videos Fran, they inspire me to start getting into slack key playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD