The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Getting rid of the string squeaks

My technique is poor. I press too hard on the strings while I move and the result you know what. While I work on this problem, I remember having software a long time ago that actually had editing tools (an eraser) that you could just edit out the high peaks just like you would edit a picture in Windows Paint program. Does anyone know of software that has this feature?

Thanks.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-29-2016, 11:13 PM

I found that some strings squeak more than others, Martin strings squeak, Elixer strings don't. The new D-Addarrio nickel bronze doesn't. Sometimes changing the strings is the best solution.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 08-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Look at noise removal plugins from iZotope. Personally I don't use noise removal software. I just avoid squeaks as much as possible up front via playing technique and Elixir strings. Computer noise and other background sounds are other things that need to be avoided up front.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-30-2016, 12:19 PM

I agree with what ric-slo said and add that I've found that backing off the mic helps too.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Ok thanks guys. I stopped using noise removal. To me it takes a piece out of recording besides the background noise. I'll have to watch my strings and work on technique.

Barry (from cell phone)

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-30-2016, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

You can reduce the volume of the string noise by using subtractive eq.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
You can reduce the volume of the string noise by using subtractive eq.
Thanks I'll try that.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-30-2016, 05:57 PM

don't rely on software, lift your finger(s) enough to mute the sound. don't strangle!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM

I used to notice string squeaking and I was always annoyed with it. And then somewhere along the line I sort of forgot about it. It occurred to me the other day that string squeaking hasn't bothered me in years. In fact, I don't even notice it anymore.

What changed? You mentioned it in the first sentence of your post - my technique improved. I managed to clean up my playing so that string squeaking is minimized to the point that it's no longer an issue.

If you are experiencing excessive squeaking, it's the equivalent of dragging your feet when you walk. Pick up your fingers when you can, instead of dragging them across the strings when you move up and down the neck. If you play regularly and constantly strive to be a better player, the problem will solve itself. In the long run, this is a more effective solution than finding the right software to remove the offending noise. In the meantime, use technology to your advantage and remove it digitally - just don't forget the big picture. Practice will make you sound better in real life, whereas digital trickery is merely a shortcut.

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 08-30-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 PM

TBman,

Izotope RX can remove string squeak with little side effects. There is a good You Tube video "Using Izotope RX3 to remove string squeaks". The string squeak section begins at the 5 minute mark. The current version of Izotope is RX5.

Derek
Old 09-03-2016, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

"Pick up your fingers when you can, instead of dragging them across the strings"

The problem with that is there are songs that sound so much better using the transition from chord to chord or note by moving along the strings. Lifting sounds artificial for those songs. I use quiet strings, Elixir or Flattops, they are the only ones that are truly without "squeaks". Others claim to but in my experience fail to really so do.

For me, some squeak is one thing but I hear some great players but who have so much noise, (that is what squeak is,it's not a note), that I just can't continue listening.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:12 AM

Whatever works, dude. Elixers do reduce the squeak greatly, and if you don't play hard, they last a long time.

In my case, I certainly can tell that improving my playing has reduced the string squeaking, but it also occurs to me that maybe I'm losing some of the higher frequencies in my hearing as I age (I'm in my mid 40's), so maybe i don't notice squeaking as much because of that.

Something I've noticed is that string squeaking is more noticeable with players who have a light touch. Louder players' strings squeak just as much, but they play their notes louder, so the discrepancy in volume between the notes and the squeaks is greater, so the squeaking just blends into the background and goes unnoticed.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:43 AM

When it comes to removing squeaks, there are two options. Nothing else comes close:

Daddario Flat Tops - Smooth feel and warmer tone with little to no squeak. Keep in mind that they are higher tension than normal strings, so don't be afraid to experiment with lower tunings (i.e: half step down or maybe 432 hz)

Ernie Ball Silk and Steel - This kind of string is squeak-less and way quieter than normal strings. Keep in mind that the tension on these is lower than normal strings. There are a few manufacturers of silk n steel strings but Ernie Ball has the thickest medium gauge set.

Both of the above string sets benefit from Finger Ease, which provides even less squeak and keeps them clean.
Old 09-06-2016, 03:02 AM

Another costly option are the Thomastik plectrums. Flat top E and flat wound on the A, D, G. I have not used the ones mentioned above to compare but the plectrums are pretty quiet.

I would like to try the flat tops but I seem to be a wimp when it comes higher tension and I only use standard tuning as I'm a basic player sadly.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:54 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 06:56 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD