The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM

Default Amp placement with archtops and feedback

PSA - I've found that when playing an archtop that if you place the amp on the same side of you as the guitar's headstock (my left in the photo below) vs. placing it on the side of the guitar's body (my right in the photo below), that it will really help prevent feedback problems.

This photo is from a gig last night with a big band (13 horns) and I had my volume up fairly loud - but had no issues with feedback.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:18 PM

That's my preferred side too, but mostly because I can tweak the controls easier on that side. I'll eventually run into feedback problems in any position I think. I'm not sure this is science exactly, but my impression is that my Polytone with the closed back cabinet delivers a little more volume before feedback than my DR, possibly because it is more directional.

But the biggest thing I do to reduce feedback is cut the bass level at the amp. This maybe is the main reason the Polytine will go to higher volumes, because it has better bass controls than a Fender.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 05-13-2015, 01:25 PM

Funny how such a simple thing can make such a big difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops