The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
I'm sure that Leo's taste in guitars go way beyond that of his live performance guitars . His Taylor LKSMs are heavily modded by Bob and his crew to provide consistently good sound on the road . With the heavy Sunrise pickup in the sound hole and the LR Baggs Hex system ( Brass Saddles) that I've seen him use.The acoustic sound is surely diminished .But great for live performance..And I'm sure you will find a great builder that will be able to create the ultimate LKSM killer .........
Now there's an idea.
No need to find a "great builder willing to create the ultimate LKSM model."
See if you can order a custom Taylor LKSM model modified to Leo's specs.
I bet they would be willing to do it.
Then you would have the exact same guitar Leo uses in performance.
(Heard him last year. Both he and his guitar were in fine form.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post

So who knocks it out of the park here? Yes, I know lots of AGF and non-AGF builders -can- do this. But who out there has -been- doing it and can just tailor things to my style?

-B
If you want to go the custom route, no need to re-invent the wheel.
Contact those builders that Leo has/has had guitars built by...Olson, Kopp, Hoffman, Bozo, et al.
Tell them you want Leo's guitar.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
See if you can order a custom Taylor LKSM model modified to Leo's specs.
I bet they would be willing to do it.
Then you would have the exact same guitar Leo uses in performance.
(Heard him last year. Both he and his guitar were in fine form.)
Do "we" know what those mod's would be? I was surprised and disappointed to find the bridge spacing so narrow on the LKSM. As I recall, he omitted fingerpicks some time long after the LKSM was introduced. I've heard him since and consider it magical that he can still play the same string spacing.

Are the factory mod's dedicated to stability on the road, electronics, or what?

George
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Do "we" know what those mod's would be? I was surprised and disappointed to find the bridge spacing so narrow on the LKSM. As I recall, he omitted fingerpicks some time long after the LKSM was introduced. I've heard him since and consider it magical that he can still play the same string spacing.

Are the factory mod's dedicated to stability on the road, electronics, or what?
No idea. Does it matter?
Get a LKSM with whatever bridge/nut spacing you want. Doubt that will affect how it sounds to any significant degree.

As to the other specs..those are what make Leo's guitars sound like Leo's guitars.
It's a bit like going into a restaurant and asking for something that tastes exactly like the restaurant's house special... but could they use some different seasonings.....and a different meat...and by the way, could somebody else please cook it?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-18-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
His Taylor are heavily modded by Bob and his crew to provide consistently good sound on the road . ...
Heavily modified how? Are you saying that the LKSMs Leo uses are not standard, that once it is established that a particular LKSM is to be delivered to Leo, it is altered? If so, what are the changes that are made? What is the source of your information?

The LKSM is braced differently than other Taylors, a result of a collaboration between Leo Kottke and Bob Taylor but I've never heard that guitars destined for Kottke are somehow reworked.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 AM

Leo reworks them far more than Taylor, honestly.

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/...e/jan-06/16604

He's also pretty well-known for messing with the braces a bit, although even he admits that's as much superstition as real usefulness:

http://www.guitarmusic.org/kottke/gwss95.html

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-18-2011, 08:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

It makes no sense to me that Taylor would make a custom or specialized model with someone's name on it and then have to modify it to deliver it to the actual named person. Surely they would just make them all to he named persons specs. Why wouldn't they? Not rhetorical, if there is a reason I want to know it.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Heavily modified how? Are you saying that the LKSMs Leo uses are not standard, that once it is established that a particular LKSM is to be delivered to Leo, it is altered? If so, what are the changes that are made? What is the source of your information?

The LKSM is braced differently than other Taylors, a result of a collaboration between Leo Kottke and Bob Taylor but I've never heard that guitars destined for Kottke are somehow reworked.
I apologize for not making my self clear .. I believe that all LKSMs are built to the precise specs that Leo and Bob originally designed. The Only mods that I am referring to are electronic and pickup mods that allow him to preform optimally in a live setting .. No doubt that all Leo Kottke models are built the same..
Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 PM

My 2004 Mcnight JumboMac can really rumble....I'm sure that Tim's Current version would put a big smile on your face .............

Last edited by Rollie; 04-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
both the 6 & 12 string guitars (small pun).
Arghhh...........oh Larry

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop