The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Wonder if you can get a R.Taylor Kottke signature model? A bit more TLC will go into the building of it, you'll get better woods, nicer appointments, it's affordable and they seem to have the whole "Kottke" guitar down to begin with, no? I think you can even customize them to an extent if there is something special you want. I don't see why you need to reinvent the wheel if the wheel already exists.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 04-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Wonder if you can get a R.Taylor Kottke signature model? .....
Kind of doubt it.
But then, why bother? Want the exact same guitar Kottke plays, built to the exact same specs by the exact same people/manufacturing process using the same woods? Buy a Taylor "Kottke" model off the shelf.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Kind of doubt it.
But then, why bother? Want the exact same guitar Kottke plays, built to the exact same specs by the exact same people/manufacturing process using the same woods? Buy a Taylor "Kottke" model off the shelf.
Thats what I did in 1994.............
Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Wonder if you can get a R.Taylor Kottke signature model? A bit more TLC will go into the building of it, you'll get better woods, nicer appointments, it's affordable and they seem to have the whole "Kottke" guitar down to begin with, no? I think you can even customize them to an extent if there is something special you want. I don't see why you need to reinvent the wheel if the wheel already exists.
Leo Kottke plays a jumbo and R. Taylor doesn't offer that body style.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM

In effect, the thread title is a question actually asking: are there any builders making a guitar that sounds like a Taylor Leo Kottke Signature Model.

I owned a 1996 LKSM-6 and very much regret that I no longer do. However, with my technique it sounded different than the tone Leo Kottke produced which is okay as I bought the guitar not to emulate Kottke's tone but because in my hands, the guitar sounded great to my ears.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 04-17-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:39 AM

I disagree that I just want a "handbuilt" Taylor LKSM. First, Leo's been quite frank that one of his primary considerations in the Taylor deal is that if his guitars are damaged in transit--and he does a -lot- of travel--he can have a replacement that's identical immediately. Breaka neck, call Taylor, have another LKSM sent his way without a hitch.

That's not to say the LKSM is crap. It's not; but having owned two over 10 years, to mistake them for a fine handmade guitar is silly. It's also why Leo regularly plays a Kopp (and an Olson before that and a Hoffman before that and a Bozo before that...). He clearly (at a minimum) wants a palette and range and feel that is not always the LKSM.

Additionally, wanting to use an existing tone as a starting point is not the same as wanting a particular guitar. As we've all said, Leo in particular controls his tone with very specific RH technique. And he's found guitars (Taylor, Kopp, et. al.) that work well with that technique. I'm looking to do the same, and am willing to pay to gain the things I associate with finer guitars: a relationship with the builder, greater attention to detail, higher-class tonewoods, custom neck profiles, and avoiding the over-accuracy and resulting sterility of pre-programmed assembly lines.

Hope that makes sense. I know some folks love Taylor here. Awesome. That's just not me, and I think there's a large range of guitars that Leo could play and sound like Leo.

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 AM

I'm sure that Leo's taste in guitars go way beyond that of his live performance guitars . His Taylor LKSMs are heavily modded by Bob and his crew to provide consistently good sound on the road . With the heavy Sunrise pickup in the sound hole and the LR Baggs Hex system ( Brass Saddles) that I've seen him use.The acoustic sound is surely diminished .But great for live performance..And I'm sure you will find a great builder that will be able to create the ultimate LKSM killer .........
Old 04-17-2011, 09:50 AM

What Rollie said... yes!

-B

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

I'm a big Leo Kottke fan and I think I know what tone you're referring to. Have you ever played a David Taylor (DT) guitar? Tommy Emmanuel ordered one his guitars and I had the privilege of hanging out with him the night he received it. It's a different model than David normally makes and was designed specifically for the sound you're describing. There are some photos on his facebook page -http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.117309031663661.15430.100001536955542

Here's a link to his website -www.dtguitars.com I think it's a bit out of date so might want to give him a call.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 04-17-2011, 10:45 AM

I owned Paul Geremia's road-worn 12-string several years back. I would give a nod to consider what Michael Millard does with a long neck jumbo in the guise of his Froggy Bottom B12 (nothing to do with anything by Gibson, BTW).

http://froggybottomguitars.com/model...ic-guitar.html

If you get a chance to talk to Michael, ask him about working on (rebuilding - twice) Paul's guitar - it's a great story.

George
Old 04-17-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
...to mistake them for a fine handmade guitar is silly.
I don't want to change the subject to a discussion, or argument, regarding the merits of Taylors but feel compelled to point out that as the owner of guitars made by single luthiers plus having traded in one such guitar for a better one which happened to be Taylor, I quite disagree with the above quote.

I understand that you are looking for something other than an LKSM and hope you find the guitar you seek.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I don't want to change the subject to a discussion, or argument, regarding the merits of Taylors but feel compelled to point out that as the owner of guitars made by single luthiers plus having traded in one such guitar for a better one which happened to be Taylor, I quite disagree with the above quote.

I understand that you are looking for something other than an LKSM and hope you find the guitar you seek.
Perhaps the dispute is about what constitutes "fine".

George
Old 04-17-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Want the exact same guitar Kottke plays, built to the exact same specs by the exact same people/manufacturing process using the same woods? Buy a Taylor "Kottke" model off the shelf.
Agreed! I think this would be first practical choice for 6 string, and only choice for 12. We all know Leo also has an Olson, but not practical for Leo considering all the traveling he does. He usually loses and instrument every year or so to airlines : (

Leo, in Jim's shop!

[

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 04-17-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
My 94 LKSM6 Has matured into a guitar that can compete with the handbuilt guitars that I own. Not as refined in some areas but has a musical and inspiring voice of it's own . With the K&K pick up the acoustic sound is unimpeded ,true , bold and percussive... or sweet and sustaining ..very responsive to the right hand technique ..she has definitively has improved over her 17 year life..Some Taylors do hit the mark...OP ,Your guitars are built by Luthiers that are in the top of the echelon ...so in all fairness should be built to be the MORE responsive than factory built guitars ..... That said I'm sure that one of Tim McKnights JumboMAcs in Mahogany would get you to where you want to go !!!! With his latest innovations and build quality.... You would have what you ask for and more ..

Last edited by Rollie; 04-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:17 PM

Here is Leo playing one of my favorites .....He can make that ol Taylor sound real good.......live.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4zPo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0Hy...eature=related

Last edited by Rollie; 04-17-2011 at 02:49 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop