The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2017, 07:20 PM

Default Endpin preamp for PRESTIGE 330? Other options?

I am getting ready to install a prestige 330 I'm my Seagull S6 Folk (body is a little smaller than an OM) and I'd like to get an endpin preamp (or any preamp that doesn't require cutting a hole in the guitar) to install as well. I'm also about to install a Trance Amulet in my Larrivee L03, so I'd rather not buy something super pricey for the Seagull. I'm currently looking into the artec endpin preamp. As nice as $30 for a preamp seems, it makes me a bit uneasy. I HAVE read decent things about the Artec, but I'm curious about your opinions regarding this preamp, as well as what other options are out there that won't break the bank.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:40 PM

Purchase the K&K Pre Phase endpin preamp. $69. Works really well with K&K/JBB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 10:01 AM

I would definitely love to hear about someone's experiences with the Artec endpin preamp and a K&K (JJB, etc.) style soundboard transducer. There is no reason why a simple preamp could not be sold at that price point, but it would be nice if someone took the plunge and reported back.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Hi,

Thing that may be considered regarding Artec preamp, is possible to hot signal from K&K/JJB pickup - Artec endpin preamp is supposed to be used with piezo undersaddle (known to have a lot weaker signal).

Marek
Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek View Post
Hi,

Thing that may be considered regarding Artec preamp, is possible to hot signal from K&K/JJB pickup - Artec endpin preamp is supposed to be used with piezo undersaddle (known to have a lot weaker signal).

Marek
If it distorts, a resistor divider could be added ahead of the preamp. Put four 1M ohm resistors in series across the pickup output and tap off the one nearest the pickup center conductor for -2.5 db, or the next for -6 db, or the next for -12 db.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago View Post
I am getting ready to install a prestige 330 I'm my Seagull S6 Folk (body is a little smaller than an OM) and I'd like to get an endpin preamp (or any preamp that doesn't require cutting a hole in the guitar) to install as well. I'm also about to install a Trance Amulet in my Larrivee L03, so I'd rather not buy something super pricey for the Seagull. I'm currently looking into the artec endpin preamp. As nice as $30 for a preamp seems, it makes me a bit uneasy. I HAVE read decent things about the Artec, but I'm curious about your opinions regarding this preamp, as well as what other options are out there that won't break the bank.
Why not go with an external preamp? I use the JJB 330 and a Behringer ADI21 with excellent results (and yes, I play gigs regularly).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM

Gotta be honest... pay the extra $30 and get the K&K prepahse endpin preamp that is designed for the three transducer design from K&K and JBB. Don't mess around soldering resistors on the tiny PCB inside the endpin jack. *shudder* You're going to ruin it and waste the $30. Might as well spend the extra $30 up front and buy something designed for the purpose.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
acoustic, artec, pickup, prestige, seagull