The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 AM

I have a Takamine TC135SC. I like the guitar excepting the neck extends into the soundhole and I don't care for that. Other than the fingerboard/soundhole thing , I really like my guitar.

I play things written by the artists, Jose Luis Merlin, Antonio Lauro, Carlos Santana, Peo Kindgren, Jay Ungar and a couple others.

Last edited by Hack Amatuer; 03-27-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Glad to see others here on the AGF who also play nylon.

I've owned two Takamines and an Ovation Legend Nylon, but am currently using a Godin Grand Concert Duet. I play my nylon mostly for smooth jazz tunes and so having a guitar that can handle louder volume levels when amplified was important.

I'd love to get a McGill Super Ace one day! Smooth Jazz guitarist Peter White plays one and it's been great for him. He's the one who turned me on to nylon-stringed guitars and I've been playing one ever since. While my steel string Taylor gets most of the workouts, I always turn to my nylon when I want something different. Haven't hung out with Peter White in years (used to whenever he came into town) but will have to do that the next time he comes to the Chicago area just to catch up.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

I've played a bunch, nothing really expensive, but some good sounding guitars. I own a $99 classical along with 7 steel strings. I enjoy my moments with the classical, for about 4 months I never touched the steel strings. Even though it is a cheapo, I put in a bone saddle, found the right strings (and tension) to bring out its best sound, lowered the action a bit and learned quite a bit about technique and musical expression to bring out the best in it. Yeah, a $4,000 classical would sound better, but would my friends and family notice the difference? Probably not, LOL.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:09 AM

At present I own a Yamaha CG111C nylon-string - which I greatly enjoy playing - but I'm looking around for something better. My search has really been an eye-opener since "mid-grade" classical guitars can be $3,000 and steeply up. I may end up going with something completely different in the end, as $3K+ is out of my price range.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosyerbob View Post
At present I own a Yamaha CG111C nylon-string - which I greatly enjoy playing - but I'm looking around for something better. My search has really been an eye-opener since "mid-grade" classical guitars can be $3,000 and steeply up. I may end up going with something completely different in the end, as $3K+ is out of my price range.
My "mid-grade" starts a lot lower than that...

It's all relative. In my case it's based on what I can hear, or not hear, in an instrument. As my ear has a long way to go, my mid-grade is probably not your mid-grade, or anyone else's for that matter. That said, you can find some mighty expressive instruments in the low four-figure range. The low three-figure range has not been a good hunting ground for me. As you move beyond the low four-figure range as you mention, things move beyond my ability to really tease out the differences.

A lot has to do with the musician playing those higher-end instruments too. In the hands of my instructor, my relatively modest instrument springs to life in ways that I am not (yet) able to motivate it. Which is really cool.

-brian

P.S. Quoting prices is a no-no here, in case you haven't run across that rule yet.

Last edited by aragorn; 03-30-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Just a note about the price quoting rule...

You can say, "I'm looking for a guitar in the $3k range" and that's no problem within our rules because it doesn't affix the actual price to a specific guitar. But you can't say, "I just bought a Brand X guitar for only $2500"... that's not allowed because it is specific to one brand or model of guitar and quotes the exact price.

Hope that helps.

Russ
AGF Moderator
Old 04-07-2010, 06:54 AM

New here, so I'll chime in on this.

My main ax is an Augustin Hernandez Lisa VIII eight-string. My teacher commissioned a dozen of them about 10 or so years ago, I got the last of them. Love the resonance of those extra strings!
Silvertone Banjo
Conklin GT-5 Bass
Composit Acoustics Cargo
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Martin 00016c-sgtne...1 7/8 nut suites me just fine
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM

I had two favorite classicals... A 1962 Goya G-17 (which I bought in 1962 and is no longer playable, unfortunately), and an Esteve 1GR9C, which I ended up selling a few years ago as I can no longer play a flat fingerboard with a 52mm nut (getting old and arthritic, you know).

These days I play either a Taylor NS32 because it's easy for me to play, or a Gibson Chet Atkins CE, because the piezo sound is less pronounced with the Shadow pickup it uses.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Taylor NS64c (no electronics). Still deciding on what to put in, as far as a pickup goes, but am tempted to go with a K&K Pure Classic. Not a fantastic guitar compared to a decent Classical, but records very, very well with my band and I imagine it will be just as good live. Plays very well, also.

Nick
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM

I just received my Taylor JMSM in the mail yesterday. That will be my main player. I haven't plugged it in yet, but I'm sure it will be fine when I play out. I'm thinking of picking up a used NS to take to shows at outside venues and shows with suspect conditions. I just wish that Taylor had put a cedar top the ns32 or ns42.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:41 PM

I'm not a classical guitarist at all but I play a 1956 Martin 00-18G which is a nylon string guitar. It has a great Martin sound which I find very well suited for fingerpicking. Leads are real sweet on it too. Its considered more of a folk guitar than a true classical and I absolutely love it.

Peter
Old 04-07-2010, 04:48 PM

This thread is in serious need of some pics. Taylor NS guitars get a bad rap for alot of things, but one thing is for sure....they sure a beautiful.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

Red face

[/IMG]

My Takamine.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical