The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2011, 05:07 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar straps - Adding a personal touch

I just bought a couple of the Italia straps that have been on sale. The straps are beautiful, with very soft leather.

I'm giving one to my son for his birthday next month. I would like to personalize it somehow, maybe with his initials. Years ago (30yrs.) I used to do a bit of leather work using some Tandy tools and their leather blanks with some success.

Has anyone done any leather work on these very soft leather straps?

Thanks,
Blu
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM

Not directly ... but ... I also bought 2 of the Italia staps and they are beautiful and highy recommended to others.

However, something I didn't think about: the guitars I bought them for have K&K pickups installed and so the end pin jack needs a much larger hole than the small ~1/4" hole they put as standard. I found that enlarging the hole was kinda messy and challenging especially with the softer thick leather .. especially without the proper tools. I'm sure they would have done it if I'd asked when I placed the order.

Sorry I can't help you with the lettering. I'm sure it is doable (with the proper equipment). Maybe they can send you a small scrap to practice with ???

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

Last edited by coopman; 08-30-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2011, 11:53 AM

Blueside; For your son's birthday, why not a professional leather seamstress? Must be many in your area and I'll bet it's not expensive by any means (I'll bet with your money, though).

If my son - I do it this way.

As long as this is a strap thread, I just received a Lakota Strap for a resonator guitar, and use it on my D-28 Marquis "cowboy style" to the headstock. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Bison hide, fine headstock loop - check them out. I also like Italia Straps.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landru View Post
Blueside; For your son's birthday, why not a professional leather seamstress? Must be many in your area and I'll bet it's not expensive by any means
That's one thought. Don't know of any leather places in my area, but I'm sure there must be.

Just wondering if any of our talented forum members has done such a thing.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Realize you probably have long since customized his strap, but in the future keep us in mind. We can offer customization on our exotic wood straps that's truly unmatched. The budget is the only limitation.....from something as inexpensive as personalized graphics or laser etching all the way up to an expensive custom mother-of-pearl masterpiece. All on a guitar strap!
Feel free to browse our Custom Shop and see what we have to offer.
http://www.TheRevoNation.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion