The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-28-2016, 08:55 AM

Default Another gretsch resonator thread... Upgrade from regal?

I'm thinking about replacing my entry regal for one of the gretsch models.
I like the 0-00 12 fret configuration.
I play mostly american primitive, and I'm looking into using it as a hybrid figerpicking/slide-fun-leave it anywhere kinda of thing.

Are they better in tone and construction quality than the regals?
How well do they project when played outside?
Are the wood ones as durable and sturdy as the metal ones, or only lighter?
Are they comparable in tone?
And which of the cones have a more "unique" tone vs more volume?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Its been a while since I've tried either - but from memory I'd put them in the same ball park, I wouldn't necessarily think of it as an upgrade, but if you need a change then go for it.
I'd definitely try before you buy, if you can. I've seen good and not so good from both makes. You might consider Republic as well.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

At the low end of the market getting a decent cone and a good set up makes all the difference. Resonators derive most of their tone from the resonator and not so much from the wood or fit and finish. Most of them use the the same crappy cones and setup of the cone and the way the bridge and such touch the cone is key. The nut cut and fretwork are hit or miss with any brand in the under $500 segment and no matter the brand those things can be good or bad from guitar to guitar. A well set up $300 reso will blow away a $500 reso with a bad setup and a quality cone is the best upgrade for any of them.

Metal and wood of course sound very different and you should try a few to see which you prefer. All else being equal a metal reso will probably have a more raw or "primitive" sound. Any resonator is going to be pretty loud.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
At the low end of the market getting a decent cone and a good set up makes all the difference. Resonators derive most of their tone from the resonator and not so much from the wood or fit and finish. Most of them use the the same crappy cones and setup of the cone and the way the bridge and such touch the cone is key. The nut cut and fretwork are hit or miss with any brand in the under $500 segment and no matter the brand those things can be good or bad from guitar to guitar. A well set up $300 reso will blow away a $500 reso with a bad setup and a quality cone is the best upgrade for any of them.

Metal and wood of course sound very different and you should try a few to see which you prefer. All else being equal a metal reso will probably have a more raw or "primitive" sound. Any resonator is going to be pretty loud.
This is all true. That said, I have owned both the Gretsch Honeydipper (brass bodied biscuit) and still have a Boxcar. Metal resos are heavy - think two Strats at once heavy. My Honeydipper had good tone and action (both of mine had adequate, if not perfect, setups straight out of the box). The fretwork was also quite good. I can say that I have little experience with Regals and can't say if they are an upgrade or not but I am happy with mine.

I play in a duo with a Banjo. The Banjo my partner (& wife) plays is a Goodtime 2, so not the loudest banjo but fairly loud and a resonator. The Honeydipper simply overpowered the banjo. Yep, THAT loud. Of course, keep in mind that I play with fingerpicks and a thumbpick - so if you play with fingertips it may suit you. The Honeydipper was close to double the volume of the Boxcar.

You should play some and do more research before buying IMHO. Learn the difference twixt: biscuit, spider & tricone. All have different properties - especially in the area of sustain. Brass & metal body resos sound, well - more edgy and metallic and they can be incredibly loud too.

Good luck in your search.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-23-2016, 12:04 AM

You might also keep an eye out for a used Rogue brass-body reso. These have been very well-regarded and are now quite familiar in the sub $500 range(I paid about $300 for mine). It's too bad they no longer offer them, and used ones actually getting a bit harder to locate...I guess a lot of people are hanging on to theirs.

I finally got around to replacing the cone in mine. It sounded OK as it came stock, but was a bit honky for what I was looking for. I put in a National Hot-Rod cone & biscuit and WOW! It actually isn't as loud now as it was but it is far more balanced and dimensional, tone wise...fuller lows, sweeter highs.

While I was at it, I polished off the somewhat cheesy silk-screen headstock logo, replaced the tuners with some nice Gotohs and installed a K&K resonator transducer, which screws in to the rear side of the biscuit. Incidentally, in setting this up, I was rather surprised to find that the stock nut on this guitar is bone!

It now sounds very much like a National and plays quite well (I only play it with a slide, either a ceramic Mudslide or for brighter tone, a brass one).
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a Bobtail and I'm liking it quite a lot. It's a great, fun to play instrument. I'm keeping it in open G tuning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments