The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Default Advice on finding a used Kamaka tenor ukulele

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying a ukulele - seems like a blast and a potentially fun thing to mix up with my guitar playing. Based on online video sounds, liking the Kamaka tone.

Any advice on the best hunting grounds for finding a used Kamaka HF-3 tenor? I saw a few on Uke Underground but they seem to go fast (seem to sell within a day). What would be your advice on best option to find one - or is finding a good used one unlikely enough (due to their evident popularity) that it's more realistic to just buy a new one and take the cost hit? Would be grateful for any advice from uke fans here.

Thanks in advance for your kind thoughts!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

...they show up on ebay pretty frequently although they get snapped up pretty quickly...and the newer ones get a good price..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kamaka-4-str...-/151420590171
Old 09-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Great lead (and advice) - thanks J Patrick!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 AM

Kamaka is basically the C F Martin of the ukulele world - the oldest high end builder around, family owned. You would be starting out with a great instrument.

They tend to be somewhat plainer in terms of bling, but use superb woods and have great workmanship and build quality. A used one should be a great value, but I don't see them used very often. Most people don't part with a Kamaka once they have it. The prices of new ones have been increasing about 15% per year, as good koa becomes pricier.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Most people don't part with a Kamaka once they have it.
Discovering this is very true - very few on the used market, and am finding almost as many WTB ads for them as ads to sell them.

Have a dealer ordering a few so I can pick one up in time for Christmas. Look forward to joining the uke fans here by end of year...
Old 10-05-2014, 05:51 PM

Keep in mind that the older Kamaka's may cost as much or more than a new one. You can place a want ad in the Hawaii Craiglist section. I don't think I'll ever part with my early 60's tenor.

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/msg/4653944993.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/msg/4667225208.html

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msg/4698627555.html
Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenz View Post
You can place a want ad in the Hawaii Craiglist section.
What a great idea! Hadn't thought of Hawaii CL, but I'll bet Hawaii's where more locally made uke's find their home than elsewhere (more than in Wisconsin, that's for sure!), and local CL there would be a good place to hunt. Thanks for the excellent suggestion gardenz.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:07 PM

There's been a Kamaka 4-string tenor on CL here in Guam for a two weeks now. This is the 2nd time this person has listed it and it hasn't sold. The economy here is just not well enough for people to buy instruments of these prices. If I didn't already have 5 high-end koa ukes, I'd buy it myself.

http://micronesia.craigslist.org/msg/4678148420.html

Shipping from here to Wisconsin via USPS Express Mail would cost about $100. I would recommend any other shipping method as Honolulu tends to hold a lot of our Priority Mail in their facility due to cargo weight capacity.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

check hawaiimusicalsupply. those guys are great, do an excellent setup before shipping(yep, very important on Ukes too) and you will get a really nice well playing uke.

not that much more than used in $

keep us posted
d
Old 10-06-2014, 04:12 PM

I have to agree with Daryl, if you're new to ukes or unable to do your own setup, www.theukulelesite.com (HMS) is a superb shop.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:51 PM

Kamaka high end ? Oldest "production" uke builder, Owned a few. They're ok.

CF Martin is the CF Martin of ukes.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:19 PM

I've owned several Kamaka ukuleles and as a player I've never been impressed.
The newer ones are stiff playing! The older gold labels had a great tone but most people wouldn't find the build quality exceptional.
I would recommend the Pono over a Kamaka in general!
I am a builder of acoustic instruments and all the above is of course
IMHO!
Old 10-19-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and trying a ukulele - seems like a blast and a potentially fun thing to mix up with my guitar playing. Based on online video sounds, liking the Kamaka tone.
Well since you don't know if you will even want to play it, why not set your sights a little lower? There are often dealers on Ebay who move out seconds at great prices. I got a nicer Lanikai tenor with fishman pickup for around $150 there. Barely visible finish flaw.

Yes you should have no trouble moving a kamaka, but there is still risk in getting a dog, or suffering shipping damage, etc. I've never ended up with a dog instrument. But I've often wondered how I would sell one in good conscience.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 PM

Consider something lesser to try at first, as you can always move up to a Kamaka later if the bug bites. I heartily recommend the Kala travel ukes. Even with the thin 1-1/4" body depth, they have amazingly good sound and volume. All of the examples I've seen had decent action and intonation. They run about $225 in tenor size w/o pickup and come with a good gig bag, and are widely available. Even if you snag a nice Kamaka later, this one can become your "beater" and you won't give up too much. I second the recommendation for a Pono if you are going mid-priced ($500-$1000).

I've been consistently underwhelmed by any Martin ukulele, especially at the prices they command. The only one I've ever liked was an all koa 5K model, which also happened to be its price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments