The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Default Michael Kelly Solid A-style Mandolin Tobacco Sunburst

picked this up off of the musician's friend stupid sale here for $179 (all solid; top/back/sides):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...style-mandolin

mando arrived. actually sounds good. i was pleasantly surprised. While i am new to Mando's in general i do have an Eastman MD315 to compare it to. The MK is solid all around (top/back/sides). While the Eastman has more of a natural finish the MK is glossy. The finish is not sticky though and i can slide up and down the fretboard with ease. it is made in china (there is a sticker on back and also the paper label inside the soundhole states it too). i find it just as easy to strum and run through some basic scales as my $700 Eastman. tuners actually seem a bit harder on the eastman. almost like they creak a little whereas the MK is pretty smooth when turning the tuners (and this while my Eastman had a professional setup and string change whereas the MK just came in the mail today).

i will try to do some sound clips tomorrow as a sound comparison. overall though i am very pleased with the purchase and couldn't find another all solid mando anywhere near that price.

Last edited by Twilo123; 10-15-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM

Interesting. I tried one of the satin finish tobacco sunbursts today and it was way nicer than the Fenders and Gretsch mandos at this price. All solid construction too, which has to be a bonus. Played very nicely to me (a complete mandolin beginner) - nice low action and fast neck. Shop is going to deal with a high fret affecting the G and D and I'll go back tomorrow to try it again.

Now you've had it a while, are you still as impressed?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments