The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Default Song Storage/Playing Software

For a couple of years I have been using Songbook on my Ipad to store and play my favorites. It is good for quickly transposing keys. It is a little quirky (IMHO) for scrolling a song at a given tempo...in that it is hard to find the right tempo, and then if I make the font bigger it seems to slow down. It is also a little cumbersome for putting sings into the software...have to go through Dropbox.

But this is the best I have found. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 AM

Default Memory

I find the best song storage is in my head. The second is paper.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy but there is no better method than hundreds if not thousands of repetitions.

Plus having to look at a tablet or piece of paper puts a barrier between you and your audience.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
For a couple of years I have been using Songbook on my Ipad to store and play my favorites. It is good for quickly transposing keys. It is a little quirky (IMHO) for scrolling a song at a given tempo...in that it is hard to find the right tempo, and then if I make the font bigger it seems to slow down. It is also a little cumbersome for putting sings into the software...have to go through Dropbox.

But this is the best I have found. Anyone have any other recommendations?
Hi zw

The 'big boy' is OnSong. It's pricey and as complex as PhotoShop for pictures (if you need complex).

It can be simplified for personal use, and will do the things you require, though I gave up on it years ago because they were always updating then re-releasing updates to fix bugs which were paralyzing my use of it for a couple weeks.

All on-pad software is cumbersome for adding songs to them. It's not the fault of the software, but the security of an iPad's file system. That may change with OS 11 (due any day for mortals…already shipping with new iPad Pro). The file architecture has been redesigned on iOS as of this release.

I've been using UnRealBook for years, but I transpose in my head. It is a pdf format only, so it doesn't do your transpositions. I'm not sure about scrolling. So OnSong is the real choice for what you ask. The developer is available to users same day for issues, and explanations.

There is one other piece of software for iOS named ForScore and as the name indicates, it is for working with (marking and jumping around in) musical scores. It is not a musical songbook for guitar players.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-21-2017, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be sticking to Songbook.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:09 PM

I haven't found Onsong buggy at all. I have well over 500 songs, been using it for 5 years. For the basic task of displaying lyrics with chords, the ability to scroll by setting the song length, and easily transposing, I'm happy with it.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic