The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Default Esonic2 Pickup

I recently bought an Epiphone EJ-200. It has the Esonic2 (active) Pickup system. It uses 2 - 2032 batteries. Even though I don't leave it plugged in, every time I am ready to play it, the batteries are totally dead!! What's up with that?
Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezfreek View Post
I recently bought an Epiphone EJ-200. It has the Esonic2 (active) Pickup system. It uses 2 - 2032 batteries. Even though I don't leave it plugged in, every time I am ready to play it, the batteries are totally dead!! What's up with that?
Not sure. Do you leave the tuner on?

I still have the original batteries in mine (EJ-200SCE) and I bought it about 2 years ago.

I will say this... the eSonic system in these guitars are extremely under rated!
I realize folks don't like "barn door" electronics, but it works so well that its easy to forgive.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 PM

I have no experience with or knowledge of that pickup system, but I do have loads of experience with those batteries. I've tried the el cheapos from the $1 bins at flea markets, the $3/card of 8 at Harbor Freight, and the $6.99/each Energizers at Rite Aid and as much as I hate to say it, you do get what you pay for. My clip on headstock tuners eat them for breakfast. I'm lucky to get a few months out of them and I never use them. The Energizers last a lot longer. I cringe at paying $6.99 for a single battery, but you gotta have them. Even some at the stores are duds. Try to buy ones with the freshest date on them and spring for the good ones.

Back in the day, I worked for Radio Shack and sold tons of them. I recall the Radio Shack brand actually out performing Energizers.

It may be worth a Google search to find the best bang for the buck for CR2032 batteries.

(Update) Harbor Freight price is actually $3.99/4
3.6v rechargeables lithium ion exist for great price.
Sony brand get high ratings

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-19-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post

I still have the original batteries in mine (EJ-200SCE) and I bought it about 2 years ago.

I will say this... the eSonic system in these guitars are extremely under rated!

I realize folks don't like "barn door" electronics, but it works so well that its easy to forgive.

Yes, mine is the SCE also, and I agree, those separate pickups and Blend make for some gorgeous tones!!
I'll double check the tuner, thanks!!
Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Well, I finally figured out how to reach Gibson/Epiphone USA Customer Service, and I am so glad that I did!! I shot them a text last night explaining my situation and early today received a reply stating that they feel that my preamp is defective and are sending me a new one ASAP!! Man, I’m blown away by this, I want to put this out there as an example and to give them public thanks!!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:

excuse my ignorance, but what are "barn door electronics"?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:52 AM

"Barn door" means the big hole cut in the top side of a guitar to put the preamp and usually some sort of graphic eq, tuner blend & volume controls.
It's now generally frowned upon and a lot of manufacturers are putting discrete controls on the under side of the sound hole.
It is thought the cutting of the hole is bad for the natural tone of the guitar.
While I would not want a big hole in the side of a high end Gibson for said electronics I think it's not going to make much difference in an Epiphone. And having all the controls right there is great for gigging.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Thank you for the explanation Johnny. I could see why the purists wouldn't want that kind of controller cut into their guitar.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeezfreek View Post
Well, I finally figured out how to reach Gibson/Epiphone USA Customer Service, and I am so glad that I did!! I shot them a text last night explaining my situation and early today received a reply stating that they feel that my preamp is defective and are sending me a new one ASAP!! Man, I’m blown away by this, I want to put this out there as an example and to give them public thanks!!

Ok, the new preamp arrived today, I installed it and so far seems to have been the problem!! Big thanks to Ryan at Gibson/Epiphone!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification