The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
The one place I could see carbon fiber being used on an electric guitar is the neck. Saves weight, resists warping, takes the most advantage of CF's strengths. If someone developed a standard four-bolt Fender-style neck, I think they could move some product.

Otherwise, I could see someone making jazz boxes, semi-hollows (with a wood core), or just putting a CF cap on a solid-body.
Yet the Moses graphite necks really didn't catch on.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 PM
Guest 928

There is (or was) an Israeli company that made some beautiful electric guitars. I don't know if the company is still in business and I don't remember the name. Someone here will have the info.......
Old 09-18-2017, 02:13 PM

Building carbon fiber guitars could reasonably be compared to building electric vehicles. The whole auto industry is developed around the internal combustion engine, and going all-electric is a whole different ball game in so many technical ways. Everything about laying up CF fabric and resin in molds is WAY different from shaping and gluing together wooden guitar parts. The only real commonality is the function and form factor of the final product -- acoustic guitars.

And no disrespect intended, but the big advantage of CF is not having to worry about the fragility of a thin wooden top under stress -- something that a solid body electric guitar simply does not have. Not really sure that I see the point....... but certainly have no issues if you want to go there. I briefly played the CA Blade electric guitar at the 2010 NAMM show, and it was cool, but not something that I would ever be in the market for.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM
Guest 928

While I see no great advantage to a solid body CF guitar, I am pretty enthusiastic about the idea of CF thin body electrics. Weight is one variable, but variation of sound and form are what drive my interest.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Building carbon fiber guitars could reasonably be compared to building electric vehicles. ...snip...
Brilliant analogy! Spot on.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber