The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2017, 05:06 PM

Default Low-priced acoustic amp question

I'm looking at a couple of amps in the hundred-buck range. No, I don't need something fancier. The two I've seen on Amazon that appear promising are the Behringer AT108 and the Fender Acoustasonic 15. I currently have the cheapo Squier acoustic amp, which is sorta okay but no second jack for a microphone. The Behringer has some sort of feature where you can play a CD, which would be cool. I have a couple of amps for electric guitars but not really meeting my needs for a more acoustic sound. (The only pedal I use with aoustic is occasionally a chorus.) Any experience with either of these or an alternative equivalent? Thanks.

PS - I noticed the thread on the Mugig amp and would consider it as well if the features come close.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:47 PM

I'd take a good look at the Kustom PA 50.
Great acoustic and vocal sound, very versatile for the money and pole mountable if needed. Can also run music thru it via 1\8" input. Its in your price range or less..
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island texan View Post
I'm looking at a couple of amps in the hundred-buck range. No, I don't need something fancier. The two I've seen on Amazon that appear promising are the Behringer AT108 and the Fender Acoustasonic 15. I currently have the cheapo Squier acoustic amp, which is sorta okay but no second jack for a microphone. The Behringer has some sort of feature where you can play a CD, which would be cool. I have a couple of amps for electric guitars but not really meeting my needs for a more acoustic sound. (The only pedal I use with aoustic is occasionally a chorus.) Any experience with either of these or an alternative equivalent? Thanks.

PS - I noticed the thread on the Mugig amp and would consider it as well if the features come close.
My wife has the Behringer in question and she uses it to work on her vocal technique. She says it is muddy and boxy sounding. She isn't complaining, as it was a $40 craigslist find.

I'm not familiar with the Fender.

We also have the Kustom PA50 and use it at home. It has a much truer acoustic tone, but they (used to) have crappy qc control. We sent back 2 to MF before we got one that wasn't malfunctioning.

Not a lot of low end but FAR superior than the Behringer IMO.

Hope this helps

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 PM

I have two Kustom PA-50's and will vouch for them too. Paired with a sub, they sound soo good.

In the hundred buck range, if you can find an Acoustic (brand) AG30, it's not a bad amp. The on-board effects are quite good and the bass response is decent for an 8" speaker.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Will you consider a used amp? I'd try to get an Ultrasound amp for $200. They make a fantastic acoustic amp. Something like one of these:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ult...r-Combo-Amp.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Dea...r-Combo-Amp.gc
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 09-12-2017, 07:37 AM

Or the Mugig? https://www.amazon.com/Mugig-Acousti...8Z4&pldnSite=1
Just wait for it to drop to $99 or less gain, it does that regularly.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-14-2017, 09:23 AM

I have an Acoustisonic 15. No problems with it. It was a Craigs List special. I pair it with a Zoom A3 though there are a number of effects in the amp
Old 09-14-2017, 11:02 AM

Keep an eye out for a used Centaur Acoustic PA. You find them for $120 - $160 used.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Self-powered PA speakers (especially something capable of floor-monitor configuration) are a great option. I'd also suggest that full-range bass amp combos are a pretty good acoustic amp option, and can be found used for cheap. Just be sure to find one with a HF driver (piezo or tweeter of some sort).
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 PM

I just purchased the Fender Acoustisonic Jr. 15. Got it yesterday from Sweetwater.

Love it. Highly recommended. Can't beat it for $99.95 and free shipping.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 09-14-2017, 09:08 PM

You can get a used Fishman loudbox mini for a little over $200.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have two Kustom PA-50's and will vouch for them too. Paired with a sub, they sound soo good.

In the hundred buck range, if you can find an Acoustic (brand) AG30, it's not a bad amp. The on-board effects are quite good and the bass response is decent for an 8" speaker.
Not an acoustic question here but since you use the PA50 with a
sub I have a couple of questions about this PA set up for my uses:
can I use a sub other that the Kustom model? I am teaching myself
bass just for playing along with backing tracks at home, do you think
the PA50 with a sub would be okay for practice level bass...been looking
at these for my small acoustic needs and wonder if it might serve double
use with my bass? Thanks, wc
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 PM

Lightbulb Acoustic Guitar/P.A. Amps

For $100.00 it's going to be a hard call .

The money spent on an inexpensive set up can bite you in the butt sometimes.

Anything around that budget new is not going to be a significant improvement from what you have already .

Maybe a [ used ] piece of equipment around a $150.00 mark may be able to snag a good deal for your
needs in a better sounding set up in the long run .

Here's an off the wall idea , it works well and probably sounds better than what you have believe it or not and cheap too .

All tube goodness and can be had for around $15.00 .

I've used them , they work great .

This is my present acoustic guitar amp , it doubles up as a stand alone A.C.D.C. portable busking P.A. amp too . Used they
are around $180 to $225.00. New 299.00 with out that cool angled floor / tabletop stand or the heavy duty P.A. speaker stand
, battery pack or gig bag .

2X XLR or 1/4" and stereo aux in or WIFi . 150 watts RMS of killer clean sound for your guitar/mp3 and vocal with FX .

This set up is about as good as it gets for a portable that can double up as a personal acoustic guitar stage amp anywhere , home , church worship
services , small night clubs are a breeze as well as coffee houses . It's got a monitor out too to hook into a larger P.A. system and as a personal stage
monitor on stage it's killer too .

EZ & Good Luck :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 09-15-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcguitar View Post
Not an acoustic question here but since you use the PA50 with a
sub I have a couple of questions about this PA set up for my uses:
can I use a sub other that the Kustom model? I am teaching myself
bass just for playing along with backing tracks at home, do you think
the PA50 with a sub would be okay for practice level bass...been looking
at these for my small acoustic needs and wonder if it might serve double
use with my bass? Thanks, wc
The sub out on the PA 50 is a 1/4" unbalanced (as far as I know) jack. So as long as you can get a signal from that to whatever sub you're using, I don't see any reason why another sub wouldn't work. I actually have run that sub out to a larger 12" and 15" powered speaker and it worked fine. So for the bass, the PA50 should handle the tone from the A, D, and B strings while the sub would take over on the low E (and low B with a 5-string).
Old 09-15-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
The sub out on the PA 50 is a 1/4" unbalanced (as far as I know) jack. So as long as you can get a signal from that to whatever sub you're using, I don't see any reason why another sub wouldn't work. I actually have run that sub out to a larger 12" and 15" powered speaker and it worked fine. So for the bass, the PA50 should handle the tone from the A, D, and B strings while the sub would take over on the low E (and low B with a 5-string).
Thanks, I may do that as I still plan to use it for acoustic (guitar and uke), vocals and maybe bass (solid body Hadean ubass or standard p-bass,for home practice only)... wc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification