The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2017, 09:04 AM

I have to keep telling myself that the veneer doesn't make it sound better so I must not need a woodie. over and over again. Beautiful job Emerald, I love them!

Emerald X20 Artisan w/Anthem
83 Martin D 18
Washburn Augusta
Yamaha 12 string
Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghd View Post
I have to keep telling myself that the veneer doesn't make it sound better so I must not need a woodie. over and over again. Beautiful job Emerald, I love them!
Yeah, you can tell yourself that...

I have to admit, I was on the fence about ordering a custom Emerald woody when the February Select Series info came into my e-mail. It was the most acute case of GAS I have ever experienced... the image of that X20 absolutely called out to me! With encouragement from my lovely wife, I snapped it up.

I was thinking of a different veneer, going back and forth if I really needed a veneer, when this guitar pushed me off the fence... and wrestled me to the ground. I already owned an X7 Opus, so I had some idea of what to expect. I thought. My X20 is beautiful, unique, and is an incredible instrument. Does it sound better because of the veneer? Probably not (maybe?), but if not for that striking veneer, I may have missed the opportunity to own this guitar. It plays and sounds as good as it looks.

I have been enjoying these monthly Select Series releases from Emerald. The woodies are my personal favorites, but I appreciate the unique aspect that each monthly series brings. It is a good thing when an instrument delights the ears, hands, heart... and eyes.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:24 PM

The trouble with buying this month's series is the unknown potential of next month's series .....

And the one after that..... or the December edition, or next January, what if it's somehow got my name on it or something ?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I am lusting over one of them. I keep refreshing the page to see if it's still available. It is.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
I love it when companies actually care about their customers... Thanks Emerald!
I got a note from Sean as well. Even though Dallas-Fort Worth isn't anywhere near where all of the terrible flooding is, I still appreciated the concern since I'm sure they didn't know where Grapevine, TX was exactly in the state.

Touch of class from a classy group there at Emerald!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

My Artisan, short scale, thin neck, woody, with a 1 11/16 nut is just over a month out now....Seeing this months series of woody's is perfect.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 09-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
The trouble with buying this month's series is the unknown potential of next month's series .....

And the one after that..... or the December edition, or next January, what if it's somehow got my name on it or something ?
Do not fear the future - live for the day! There will always be "the next, newest, best-est" thing. And, how sad to miss a month's worth of playing on a lovely instrument... because of what may be unveiled.

I jumped in early, with a February Select Series... 7 months later, I have seen some Ohhhh-inspiring instruments in each month's Select Series. Beautiful as they may be, they haven't made me feel I "jumped in too early."

I've heard stories about inaction due to FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), but I always thought that was urban legend... kinda like the story about the guy who traded a carbon fiber guitar for getting his (boat) bottom scraped.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
....... kinda like the story about the guy who traded a carbon fiber guitar for getting his (boat) bottom scraped.
Ouch ! Way to rub it in Jim, but you know a cap'n sometimes has to make sacrifices if he wants to stay afloat.

As it happens I had a lovely reunion Jam with my former X7 this very afternoon. It has been a beautiful sunny day here and the guitar's new owner, Pat , my son Alex (who is living aboard the boat) and myself, had ourselves a few cold 'uns and a little sing song down by the riverside.

I live 10 mins from my boat, (by bicycle across meadow land with hard gravel paths, avoiding roads and breathalyser testing.)
I took my GSMini on my back.

Haven't played the Mini for ages, never really got around to comparing them while I had the X7 myself... I still think the Mini is a great guitar, but it does feel a bit cramped for me now, all my other guitars are full scale 1.3/4" nut.

Neither the Mini or my son's Big Baby sound quite as good as the Emerald, but the pair of them together only cost about the same, so that's fair enough.

Anyhoo... while I do miss the X7, my son and I were talking just now and are both very happy that it has gone to a good, deserving friend , who now loves it dearly himself (but I still get visiting privileges.)
Old 09-02-2017, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Ouch ! Way to rub it in Jim...
Wait! You know this guy?? I thought it was one of those "I found an immaculate old Harley in a barn" kinda stories.

I haven't had my GSmini out of the case since I got the X7. I plan to give it a go when we get home - I bought a set of 12-string strings, and will use what I need to try Nashville tuning on the Mini.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 09-02-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:45 PM

The select September series sure are pretty, but I am sooooo happy with my August select series Artisan X7, I just love everything about it.
Alvaro
Old 09-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Two days in and I see that 3 of the 5 September Select Series are sold (the X7 and both X20 6-strings). Anyone here going to announce a NGD with one of these beauties?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

The one I was eyeballing has been sold. I guess I saved myself some money and my X20 Artisan in amber, will have to do.

I hope someone here picked it up.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

I'm with Bluside, looking at those made me start twitching and reaching for the wallet....but they were sold. Whew, that was close. Another stunning set of guitars. My Red X20 Opus is working fine, no need for something that beautiful.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
The one I was eyeballing has been sold. I guess I saved myself some money and my X20 Artisan in amber, will have to do.

I hope someone here picked it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'm with Bluside, looking at those made me start twitching and reaching for the wallet....but they were sold. Whew, that was close. Another stunning set of guitars. My Red X20 Opus is working fine, no need for something that beautiful.
I was going to say, "You snooze, you lose," but the bigger story here is: two X20 owners contemplating another.

Not sure what happened, but that gorgeous X7 was marked "Sold" on Saturday seems to be available again just now when I checked. Ohhhhhhh, that is real pretty.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I was going to say, "You snooze, you lose," but the bigger story here is: two X20 owners contemplating another.

Not sure what happened, but that gorgeous X7 was marked "Sold" on Saturday seems to be available again just now when I checked. Ohhhhhhh, that is real pretty.
Well, Jim was right after all - you snooze, you lose! I just pulled the trigger on this X7 Woody after seeing it was (shockingly) still available on their FB page. My X20 Custom Woody is still six weeks out so I figured this will help take the edge off the wait.

Other considerations were that this veneer was one offered to me on my X20 build (and was a close second choice...), it has the Amber back and sides I love (and will also be on my X20), and it will give me a chance to check out the LR Baggs pickup system which I did not go with on my X20 (went with the K&K but was a close second).

AND I'll get to do a serious X20 woody vs. X7 woody head-to-head shootout NGD in a couple months.

Try not to hate me.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-12-2017 at 12:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber