The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Tomorrow my amber X7 shipping from Ireland to Colorado Springs! And it has a friend shipping along with it. An amber X20,I just couldn't help myself.
And now folks here are buying them two at a time!! I love this place!

There is a down side to getting two guitars at the same time... inevitably, you will play one, then play the other, then make comparisons, then play the first one again, then the second one... etc, etc. "Well, I like this one because... and I like that one because..."

For your own piece of mind, I would suggest playing just one for a couple weeks, then play the other for a couple weeks.

Happened to me once with a Taylor 814 and a T5. No, I didn't wait, either.

Congrats on the TWO incoming delights!

Jim
Old 09-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
And now folks here are buying them two at a time!! I love this place!

There is a down side to getting two guitars at the same time... inevitably, you will play one, then play the other, then make comparisons, then play the first one again, then the second one... etc, etc. "Well, I like this one because... and I like that one because..."

For your own piece of mind, I would suggest playing just one for a couple weeks, then play the other for a couple weeks.

Happened to me once with a Taylor 814 and a T5. No, I didn't wait, either.

Congrats on the TWO incoming delights!

Jim

Good advice captain. I will take that to heart.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:49 PM

I know the Captain says it only took 4 days, but my X20 got hung up in customs for a lot longer than that. It felt like 6 months, but apparently it was closer to two weeks from when I heard it was inbound until the postman walked it up to the house.

Post pictures or it didn't happen.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
I know the Captain says it only took 4 days, but my X20 got hung up in customs for a lot longer than that. It felt like 6 months, but apparently it was closer to two weeks from when I heard it was inbound until the postman walked it up to the house.

It better be shorter than two weeks. I've already waited a long time.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 AM

Love the look of the Amber. My (green) Emerald took about a week IIRC to get to NH. Don't know what I would do with 2 new guitars on 1 day, which to play 1st???
Enjoy!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 AM

My Emerald X7 Artisan was in my hands in 6 days, that includes the day it took for it to clear customs, yes in Canada we have to pay customs fees, apparently not so in the US
Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post

I think my X7s 4 day (well, just a bit less than that) trip was one of those "everything aligned" circumstances. I ordered it on a Thursday afternoon, it went out with Emerald's typical Friday shipping. When I bought the X20, it was on a Friday evening, so it missed getting out that week. When it shipped the next Friday, it was a 6 day trip from Ireland to Phoenix (where we happened to be, visiting our daughter). So that made it 13 days from "sold" to arrival.

Yes, I know those who have ordered customs have waited months for their guitar to be completed. And then shipped. Being able to track shipping is both a blessing and a curse.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Love the look of the Amber. My (green) Emerald took about a week IIRC to get to NH. Don't know what I would do with 2 new guitars on 1 day, which to play 1st???

Enjoy!

I am definitely going to play the X7 first. I think I am most excited about playing that one. I am actually a little nervous about playing the X20. I typically prefer smaller guitars but everything about the X20 appeals so much to me. Also I've read countless threads on how comfortable a guitar it is to play. The only way to try it was to order it and see if I like it.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 PM

Try getting 3 at once... makes only 2 seem easier on you.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-22-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Try getting 3 at once... makes only 2 seem easier on you.
Probably easier to explain to the wife when not talking about kids too.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-23-2017, 09:38 AM

Congrats,Bry.

I'm interested to hear your review of the X20 and X7 -particularly how they compare to one another.

I took delivery of a red X-7 last Monday. My first Emerald, and first chance I had to even play one. Mine spent 6 days in New York, being processed through Customs before continuing on.

My impression with the D'Addario 80/20s was a surprisingly warm, balanced tone. Definitely not as rich, or deep as my other, larger traditional guitars, but much better than I've heard from other travel guitars of similar size.

Not meaning to hijack here, but maybe other X7 owners can share their string preferences for this model.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
Congrats,Bry.

I'm interested to hear your review of the X20 and X7 -particularly how they compare to one another.

I took delivery of a red X-7 last Monday. My first Emerald, and first chance I had to even play one. Mine spent 6 days in New York, being processed through Customs before continuing on.

My impression with the D'Addario 80/20s was a surprisingly warm, balanced tone. Definitely not as rich, or deep as my other, larger traditional guitars, but much better than I've heard from other travel guitars of similar size.

Not meaning to hijack here, but maybe other X7 owners can share their string preferences for this model.
I was impressed with the sound, but not the feel, of the D'Addario strings that came on my X7. I played them for a couple weeks, then changed out to my general strings of preference: Elixir PB Nanoweb... good sound, long-lasting, less squeek, and they feel better to my fingers.

About a year and a half now with my X7 - it has been coast to coast to coast with me, and continues to impress. Still the most comfortable guitar I own, with a great balanced tone.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Elixirs are the ol' standbys, I liked them better than the D'Addario's for the same reasons Jim mentions. The TI Plectrums are great on the X20, haven't tried them on the X7 yet

I had some extra packs of Mangan lights laying around so I put some on the X7 figuring they would be coming off pretty quickly, they didn't, they sounded surprisingly good. More fundamentals than the Elixirs and a little bolder sound. My point being that from what I have found with the X7 and X20, they sound pretty darn good with most strings, it will be your preference for feel and tone.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:36 PM

I found that my X7 seems to prefer mediums to lights.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
I do not like string squeak so I use flat wound strings on all my guitars.

My Emerald X7 presently has D'Addario ECG24 Chromes Flat Wound, Jazz Light, 11-50.
(I've always used D'Addario Chromes and recently found Galli Bronze 80/20 Jazz Flat wound acoustic guitar strings.)

Next string change I'll be trying Galli AJF1047 on my X7.
My Emerald X20 presently has Galli AJF1047 Extra Light 10-47, Bronze 80/20 Jazz Flat wound acoustic guitar strings.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber